U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-22-2010, 02:09 PM
 
Location: New Orleans, United States
4,230 posts, read 9,389,875 times
Reputation: 1418

Advertisements


Well, let's just say that... Hell, I don't even know what to say. Maybe I shouldn't say anything, but let's agree that not all New Orleanians dislike Baton Rouge and not all Baton Rougeans? dislike New Orleans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-22-2010, 02:22 PM
 
Location: City of Central
1,845 posts, read 3,828,525 times
Reputation: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
Also, mhounit, what makes YOU an authority on Baton Rouge people....
Excellent question ! Thank you for asking . I'm 52 years old . I've lived in B.R. or it's suburbs all of my life . Yet , I would NEVER claim to know how " Baton Rouge " feels as a whole . NOBODY knows , because Baton Rouge is a city with as diverse of a population as any . It's impossible for " Baton Rouge " to feel ANY way about ANYTHING or ANYBODY . You haven't lived on this earth ( much less in B.R. ) long enough to understand anything past the end of your nose . Stop making generalizations about an entire population , most of which you've never even laid eyes on , much less talked to .

So , long story short , unlike you , I do not profess to be an expert on Baton Rouge people .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2010, 04:39 PM
 
640 posts, read 1,065,636 times
Reputation: 456
But, the thing is, you can make generalizations about a population based on its lifestyle patterns. Why does more than half of BR's population live in a certain type of setting? Because more than half the population enjoys that type of setting? Why does BR's best restaurants consist of Olive Garden, Kona Grill, or the Chimes? (in other words, chains and sports bars)? Because that's the type of restaurants its population enjoys. Obviously, there are some people in BR that would rather go to a fantastic, local, innovative restaurant in an urban setting. But, if there was enough demand for it, BR would be full of them. It's simple economics. The more demand there is for something, the more supply will rise. I'm not saying BR is the worst city on the planet. I'm not saying its people are crazy. I'm just saying that it's very evident that people in BR enjoy a different type of lifestyle than people in NOLA. And, obviously, there are the random few who want to change BR. I have yet to meet many of these people. Most people I have met from BR (I have met a lot, yet you're right they are all young people) do not want to change BR. They like it the way it is. They say, if you don't like it just leave. I find so much potential in BR for it to become a real city with local restaurants and local stores. But this is always stymied but the suburban nature of the residents who seem to enjoy driving an hour to Siegen to go to Target. The unanimous idea to change traffic in BR is to widen the highways to many lanes. The residents do not want sidewalks because it is "their land". Like I said above, BR isn't the worst place in the world, it's just a very different place from the New Orleans's of the world. Like I've said before it really is just a glorified suburb. There is absolutely no sense of place outside of LSU and Downtown. I'm not professing to be an expert of BR people, I am just inferring based on observations of the lifestyle differences between the two cities. Obviously, one might argue that I am comparing apples and oranges. Well, I am. And, I think that's why BR thinks there is so much competition between the two cities. It is impossible to compare BR to NOLA. And, frankly, in NOLA we don't ever do it. We're more focused on competition with Houston. There is an animosity between the two cities, but it predominates in BR. Kind of like how UL students think there is this big rivalry with LSU. To them, the UL-LSU game is the biggest game of the year. To us, it's the most pointless game of the year. We are more focused on Florida, Bama, and Auburn. So, basically, most people in NOLA don't know much about BR and really don't care about it. The people that do end up being in BR for a while, like myself and many others, end up hating it and cannot wait to graduate and move back to NOLA. I think that's the problem. BR is mad that NOLA people don't give BR the credit they want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2010, 06:49 PM
 
Location: City of Central
1,845 posts, read 3,828,525 times
Reputation: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
BR is mad that NOLA people don't give BR the credit they want.
You just don't get it , do you ? Where do you dream up this garbage ? Who is " BR " ? When was the last time you talked to " BR " ? You don't have a clue how the people of Baton Rouge feel . You live in your little college town world , probably read The Daily Reveille and think you have it all figured out . You don't even have your facts straight on the restaurants in this city . The Chimes , Olive Garden ? Please ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2010, 09:15 PM
 
Location: Youngsville, LA
431 posts, read 970,098 times
Reputation: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
Why does more than half of BR's population live in a certain type of setting? Because more than half the population enjoys that type of setting?
Baton Rouge grew during a different era when developmental practices had evolved from those used during the eighteenth century when New Orleans began to take off. Not necessarily for the better, but different nonetheless.

Way back when New York City was merely the size of present-day Houston, it looked nothing like Houston does today. When Houston was the size of present-day Orlando, no resemblance there either.

So to suggest that Baton Rouge conscientiously chose a different style than New Orleans when the two cities grew up in entirely different eras, not to mention with entirely different land use challenges is a bit unfair. When people get drawn to either city for whatever reasons, those people adapt to what that city has to offer. And in many cases, those very people then decide just how to further develop their community using today's practices. Some get it right, while others royally screw it up. But more often than not, it falls somewhere in between.

New Orleans has been called the most unique city in the world. As a Lafayette homey who loves my town, there's no doubt as to the treasure Louisiana has in New Orleans. I could write an essay here, but I'll sum it up in three words:

It's just cool.

Last edited by JimLFT; 10-22-2010 at 09:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2010, 09:24 AM
 
640 posts, read 1,065,636 times
Reputation: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
You just don't get it , do you ? Where do you dream up this garbage ? Who is " BR " ? When was the last time you talked to " BR " ? You don't have a clue how the people of Baton Rouge feel . You live in your little college town world , probably read The Daily Reveille and think you have it all figured out . You don't even have your facts straight on the restaurants in this city . The Chimes , Olive Garden ? Please ...
You don't quite get it either. You're only argument is "how do you know this". If what I am saying really wasn't true you would be slamming facts in my face about it. But, sadly, you know that I am right, so you're only argument is that I am some bumbling college student. When, in fact, I am a very well read, intellectual, future urban planner, who knows a lot about cities. I read about development patters, New Orleans, and Baton Rouge every day. Trust me, I know what I am talking about when I say Baton Rouge is a certain way.

Also, to the poster above me, yes, I know that Baton Rouge developed much later. I definitely understand that. That is why I don't want to live there when I graduate. But, I think a lot of people that live there would have moved already, yet, see this mhounit? they LIKE IT THERE. Because that is their lifestyle. You can deny it all you want. But it's the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2010, 09:40 AM
 
Location: City of Central
1,845 posts, read 3,828,525 times
Reputation: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
You don't quite get it either. You're only argument is "how do you know this". If what I am saying really wasn't true you would be slamming facts in my face about it. But, sadly, you know that I am right, so you're only argument is that I am some bumbling college student. When, in fact, I am a very well read, intellectual, future urban planner, who knows a lot about cities. I read about development patters, New Orleans, and Baton Rouge every day. Trust me, I know what I am talking about when I say Baton Rouge is a certain way.

Also, to the poster above me, yes, I know that Baton Rouge developed much later. I definitely understand that. That is why I don't want to live there when I graduate. But, I think a lot of people that live there would have moved already, yet, see this mhounit? they LIKE IT THERE. Because that is their lifestyle. You can deny it all you want. But it's the truth.
Oh , so you're an " urban planner " . Now I do get it . What was I thinking ? Of COURSE you know how the 250,000 residents feel about EVERYTHING ! After all , you read about it every day . I'll bet the Mayor could use you in his administration . He's been having problems figuring out the will of the people lately . He should have called someone that " knows what they are talking about " . God , this is priceless ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2010, 10:02 AM
 
640 posts, read 1,065,636 times
Reputation: 456
Yeah, it is pretty priceless that you have yet to defend your city. All you can do is criticize me and say how I can't know what I'm talking about. If you made random assertions about my hometown, I would immediately give you facts about how that's wrong. But, you can't even do that. And, yes I know how 250,000 people feel about everything because they wouldn't live there if they didn't like it. Yes, they might have problems with traffic or crime, but they are definitely content with the city's offerings. And, like I've said before you know that's true. It's a fact that people in BR think they are becoming so cosmopolitan and "highBRow" because they have a California Pizza Kitchen and a Bonefish Grill. BR thinks that a traditional neighborhood development is "urban" and walkable. It is a damn fact that BR people think a hell of a lot differently than NOLA.

If you don't think that's true. PROVE IT.
Simply stating that I don't know what I'm talking about without any facts to back it up is worthless. And, the fact of the matter is that most people on this thread probably agree with what I am saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2010, 10:44 AM
 
Location: City of Central
1,845 posts, read 3,828,525 times
Reputation: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
Yeah, it is pretty priceless that you have yet to defend your city. All you can do is criticize me and say how I can't know what I'm talking about. If you made random assertions about my hometown, I would immediately give you facts about how that's wrong. But, you can't even do that. And, yes I know how 250,000 people feel about everything because they wouldn't live there if they didn't like it. Yes, they might have problems with traffic or crime, but they are definitely content with the city's offerings. And, like I've said before you know that's true. It's a fact that people in BR think they are becoming so cosmopolitan and "highBRow" because they have a California Pizza Kitchen and a Bonefish Grill. BR thinks that a traditional neighborhood development is "urban" and walkable. It is a damn fact that BR people think a hell of a lot differently than NOLA.

If you don't think that's true. PROVE IT.
Simply stating that I don't know what I'm talking about without any facts to back it up is worthless. And, the fact of the matter is that most people on this thread probably agree with what I am saying.
To start with , I don't need to defend my city . You have gotten so far off base in this arguement , I don't know where to begin . You say " I know how 250,000 feel about everything because they wouldn't live here if they didn't like it " . Besides not making any sense , what in God's name does that have to do with anything ? Yes , it is a " damn fact " that BR people think a hell of a lot differently than N.O. people . So ? They think a lot differently than people from every other city , in some respects . That's true anywhere . My WHOLE point in this silly excercise , is that you keep making wild generalizations about the residents of this city and their innermost feelings , and now I'm challenging YOU to back up YOUR babbling with FACTS . YOU made the statements . YOU need to prove whether you really do know what you are talking about . Go ahead . Impress us .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2010, 11:48 AM
 
640 posts, read 1,065,636 times
Reputation: 456
I haven't gotten off base. I'm simply explaining why people from New Orleans do not like Baton Rouge. We often refer to coming back to the city as coming back to civilization. Sorry if that hurts but it's how a lot of us feel, especially young people after going through Katrina. We enjoy the city life, the culture, the feel of New Orleans. We generally have a disdain for BR because it doesn't have these things. You're mad because I'm answering the original question in a way that makes BR look bad. I don't have to back up my statements because they are observations based on my experiences in BR which many people won't deny. I have no idea how you can deny that BR has mostly chain restaurants, fake "urban" shopping places, no sidewalks, no sidestreets, only highways, no real sense of place, a majority suburban population. I have at least stated some sort of information. You have yet to say why my statements are false except that a young college kid would never know what the hell they are talking about.

New Orleans has Magazine, the French Quarter, the Saints, beautiful urban fabric, walkable city, amazing local stores and restaurants, much more business than BR, an international recognition, history, good public transportation, etc.

Baton Rouge has LSU, decent small town downtown (I've seen livelier downtowns in places like Athens, GA), tons and tons and tons of national chains stores and restaurants, most local restaurants are sports bars, huge highways with no side streets, no sidewalks, etc.

I'm telling you why I don't like BR. If you are so certain that I can't make generalizations then maybe you should show me how their false. Because I'm not trying to prove anything. If you don't think its true, tell me why. But, I'm not gonna prove something to you that I already think is true. You should be the one showing me why I'm wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top