U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 06:28 AM

2,049 posts, read 4,711,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
I haven't gotten off base. I'm simply explaining why people from New Orleans do not like Baton Rouge. We often refer to coming back to the city as coming back to civilization. Sorry if that hurts but it's how a lot of us feel, especially young people after going through Katrina. We enjoy the city life, the culture, the feel of New Orleans. We generally have a disdain for BR because it doesn't have these things. You're mad because I'm answering the original question in a way that makes BR look bad. I don't have to back up my statements because they are observations based on my experiences in BR which many people won't deny. I have no idea how you can deny that BR has mostly chain restaurants, fake "urban" shopping places, no sidewalks, no sidestreets, only highways, no real sense of place, a majority suburban population. I have at least stated some sort of information. You have yet to say why my statements are false except that a young college kid would never know what the hell they are talking about.

New Orleans has Magazine, the French Quarter, the Saints, beautiful urban fabric, walkable city, amazing local stores and restaurants, much more business than BR, an international recognition, history, good public transportation, etc.

Baton Rouge has LSU, decent small town downtown (I've seen livelier downtowns in places like Athens, GA), tons and tons and tons of national chains stores and restaurants, most local restaurants are sports bars, huge highways with no side streets, no sidewalks, etc.

I'm telling you why I don't like BR. If you are so certain that I can't make generalizations then maybe you should show me how their false. Because I'm not trying to prove anything. If you don't think its true, tell me why. But, I'm not gonna prove something to you that I already think is true. You should be the one showing me why I'm wrong.
This is true and also why I find BR kind of boring. Lafayette is a small town that is increasingly becoming suburban, but what I like about it is the culture. As for sense of place, I watched some videos about that in cities vs suburbs and I would definitely side with you on that one. BR doesnt really have a sense of place. New Orleans OOZES it. In New Orleans, while there arent skyscrapers everywhere, it has the feel of a large European town, with many ages 3-4 story buildings directly on the street, and with unique architecture untouched by corporate identities. I wish Lafayette as built the same way but its definitely trending the other way. But here, it is the culture. The Cajun music and smell of food wafting through the air. the friendly people chattering in French. The great swamp scenery around the city. Thats what keeps me in Lafayette. In a similar way, NeW Orleans has a definite identity of its own and thats something both cities have that BR lacks. BR is a large college town and place of business. It isnt romantic or exciting. Its just professional and grown up. Thats fine for some, but not for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 11:40 AM

640 posts, read 1,065,778 times
I definitely agree about Lafayette. It obviously has its problems, just like any other city, but I lived there for a couple months after Katrina and enjoyed the unique flavor of the city.

The problem with BR being a large college town makes it even worse though. In most "college towns" there is this awesome campus right on a main street with stores and restaurants and bars. In BR, it has kind of lost that feel and now we have places like Tigerland, 2 miles from campus, and so on. You can't even walk from campus to these places without walking in the grass, or on the side of a huge highway like Nicholson. I've been saying I've wanted to do this for a while, but I really need to either contact the school or city and tell them to build sidewalks around campus. It is ridiculous.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:46 AM

1,845 posts, read 3,828,928 times
Quote:
I definitely agree about Lafayette. It obviously has its problems, just like any other city, but I lived there for a couple months after Katrina and enjoyed the unique flavor of the city.

The problem with BR being a large college town makes it even worse though. In most "college towns" there is this awesome campus right on a main street with stores and restaurants and bars. In BR, it has kind of lost that feel and now we have places like Tigerland, 2 miles from campus, and so on. You can't even walk from campus to these places without walking in the grass, or on the side of a huge highway like Nicholson. I've been saying I've wanted to do this for a while, but I really need to either contact the school or city and tell them to build sidewalks around campus. It is ridiculous.
There is a sidewalk from the campus , PAST Tigerland . What other part of the campus do you claim does not have sidewalks ?

Old 10-24-2010, 12:36 PM

Yes, there is a sidewalk on ONE side of nicholson going past tigerland. However, there is no sidewalk on the other side. No sidewalk on Burbank. No sidewalk on East Boyd past Burbank. The sidewalk ends on Highland after Parker. Janet has no sidewalks. Basically any side street off of Parker has no sidewalks. East Boyd has one for a little while but it abruptly stops. Oh and the sidewalk on Parker is on one side. Once you get to Highland, you would assume you could cross the street and continue on the sidewalk. No, after highland, the sidewalk moves to the OTHER side of the street.

I know several people who got yelled at by cops for walking in the street on East Boyd. Funny thing is...there was no sidewalk to walk on....

Old 10-24-2010, 12:44 PM

1,845 posts, read 3,828,928 times
These streets you mention are on the campus proper ?

Old 10-24-2010, 01:41 PM

Nope, I said it's impossible to walk FROM campus to other places....
so, no they are directly off campus. So, for us students to walk to campus is practically a death wish.

Last edited by rcp11889; 10-24-2010 at 02:30 PM..

Old 10-24-2010, 04:14 PM

59 posts, read 43,956 times
Completely agree. It's utterly ridiculous a major state university has no sidewalks or pedestrian lights ON campus and in the surrounding neighborhoods. The fact that over 150K people come to the area during gamedays and people walk down roads with no sidewalks is such a hazard.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:44 PM

2,049 posts, read 4,711,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bntbr12 View Post
Completely agree. It's utterly ridiculous a major state university has no sidewalks or pedestrian lights ON campus and in the surrounding neighborhoods. The fact that over 150K people come to the area during gamedays and people walk down roads with no sidewalks is such a hazard.
I did enjoy the fact that ULL does have sidewalks all over and around it and is very walkable. Lafayette did a good job planning around the University area.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:08 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,178,073 times
Quote:

The thing you have to understand about LSU is that it was MOVED to it's current location in the 1920's from Downtown into what was then the considered "way out in the country". This was done both to give the campus space to spread out and also to provide fields for the ag department. It is NOT a "Main Street" campus. The school has no control over where the city builds sidewalks. However I will also say that I think the campus itself is extremely walkable. Sidewalks are literally everywhere on campus. They could do much better on the sidewalks off campus, but like I said that is something that the campus has no control over. Maybe you should seek on campus housing or try to use tiger trails more often.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:55 PM

I'm very well aware of the school's history. I know it's not the school's fault or anything. It's Baton Rouge's fault. The city most often always leaves sidewalks up to the developer, which results in incoherent sidewalk infrastructure. The campus is very walkable. In fact, I love walking around campus. But, that's not the point. The city needs to step up to create a better living environment for the residents.

Also, taking the bus more or moving is a terrible way to look at things. I actually do live closer to campus now, off State street and really enjoy walking to class. But, there are hundreds and hundreds of other apartments that don't get that luxury. That's a typical mindset of BR is "if you don't like it, then leave". I'm just not okay with that sentiment. Instead, I like to look at it as "if you don't like it, change it". Tiger trails is great and all, but it's not very helpful if I just want to walk down Burbank to get a sandwich from Subway or walk to the Co-Op to buy books. If you wanna do that from a Burbank apartment, you have to take the bus ALL the way around campus. Or, you can walk in the middle of an extremely busy 4 lane highway to get somewhere that is .3 miles away. Also, in most cities, sidewalks are kind of a given.

There is a very common argument with people from places like Baton Rouge when comparing themselves to other cities. I always hear that it's not fair to compare BR to NOLA or it's not fair to compare LSU to other colleges. Well, that's just the thing. It is fair, because you can always change something. BR has so much potential but so many in BR don't accept the fact that they are the ones who have to make the change. I realized this living in NOLA. We are changing for the better now because citizens have stepped up and taken the reins in their own hands. You can't just accept mediocrity anymore. It stems down to those who want downtown housing and for the city's core to grow so much, yet none of them choose to live there. If you want change in today's world you have to take matters into your own hands.

Last edited by rcp11889; 10-25-2010 at 12:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or