U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 12:51 AM

4,230 posts, read 9,389,875 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking about making a thread like this for a while now. After stumbling across this old "article" and reading the comments I've decided to go ahead and post.
The New Orleans Reality | Baton Rouge Business Report

Anybody feel that there is some sort of animosity between Louisiana's two biggest cities? I know a few Baton Rougeans (is the right term?) who feel that NO is a bullying, crimed filled sesspool; and a handful of New Orleanians that feel like BR is just waiting for a chance to be NO and will do whatever it takes to come out on on top. I also know people from each city who loves the other.

Me personally don't see too much of a difference in them.
NO wins in culture, infrastructure, and notariety.
BR wins when it comes to being business friendly.
Education and crime, they might as well be the same.
NO growth patterns are well developed and planned with the exception of the Northshore.
BR sprawls out of control, but is infilling and has the Green Light Plan to balance that out.
BR seems to have affective leadership.
NO seems to be headed in that direction.

I'm also curious to know how North Louisiana perceives South Louisiana and specically BR and NO; as well as the whole state's opinion on NO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 03:46 PM

2,049 posts, read 4,710,989 times
I think it all stems down to LSU vs the Saints.
Baton Rouge always thought of LSU as the premier sports team in Louisiana. They are somewhat jealous of the Saints getting media attention and I think that has to do with not just the team, but the fame of New Orleans vs Baton Rouge. From what Ive seen though, its mainly about the sports teams.
I cant really think of any reason why Baton Rouge might despise New Orleans.
Especially when Northern Baton Rouge is as much a cesspool as parts of New Orleans itself.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:39 PM

1,845 posts, read 3,828,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
I think it all stems down to LSU vs the Saints.
Baton Rouge always thought of LSU as the premier sports team in Louisiana. They are somewhat jealous of the Saints getting media attention and I think that has to do with not just the team, but the fame of New Orleans vs Baton Rouge. From what Ive seen though, its mainly about the sports teams.
I cant really think of any reason why Baton Rouge might despise New Orleans.
Especially when Northern Baton Rouge is as much a cesspool as parts of New Orleans itself.
Are you serious ? Jelous over sports teams ? You really put a lot of thought into that one .

Old 06-09-2010, 12:33 PM

3 posts, read 13,247 times
I should probably keep my mouth shut on this one but....
I was born and grew up in Baton Rouge. And I've always viewed the New Orleans area as a place to visit, but I sure don't want to live there! I live in Terrebonne Parish now and will go shopping in Metairie, go to the zoo, the aquarium, the WW2 museum and the occasional concert, but that's about the only use I have for it. I've always had the feeling that NOLA people were big-headed, loud mouthed people who thought they were the best there was. And I don't take kindly to that kind of pride. Most of the people I meet from there DO have that attitude. And it's not a new one. My dad was born and grew up in NOLA, right next to Audubon Park. He said when his family moved to BR that he was not a happy camper to be moving to a "hick town". Now Dad only goes to NOLA if we beg him to do something with us or he has to go for work. Oh and the occasional airport pickup because it's cheaper to fly from there.
The sports thing is bunk in my case. I cheer for LSU and the Saints. But I'm not a huge sports fan either.
I loved my hometown of BR until Katrina. Then the NOLA people moved in and instantly tried making it into what they left behind. IMHO one NOLA is plenty, leave BR alone. There was very few places around town you couldn't go to in daylight hours. Since Katrina though, plenty of places to avoid.

Then - take for example the "north shore". When I was growing up that was NOT considered part of NOLA. It was it's own community. I laughed the first time I heard a NOLA television station call Denham Springs "the north shore". That's like a mile from where I grew up in Baton Rouge, white flight from Baton Rouge it was. While Livingston is populated with ex BR people, we wouldn't have dreamed to call it Baton Rouge. It was Livingston Parish - it's own space. I think things have changed now though and it's considered part of BR.

NOLA people always seem to have a sense of entitlement. Take for example the recent oil spill money. BP gave $15 million to the state for tourism dollars. And NOLA said they deserved 2/3s of it. I don't see why tourism in NOLA will suffer. I know of noone that goes to NOLA to fish. The lake is just fine for those that fish there. Most tourists go to NOLA for Bourbon Street. The only oil spilled on Bourbon would be from beauty products and delivery trucks. Grand Isle, Lafourche, Plaquemines, and Terrebonne however? That's where the tourism will dry up because people think all that there is to do there is offshore fishing. Those are also the hardest hit with no tourism, no fishing, and now with the ban on drilling. These are the areas that need the money the most. Not NOLA.
And hurricanes? I left home when Gustav made a direct hit on Terrebonne Parish. But all you would hear on tv was what was happening to NOLA, even on the local stations. and not a dang thing happened to NOLA. Same thing with Hurricanes Rita and Ike. The parishes that suffered the most got little money and little attention because NOLA thought they deserved it. Of course these parishes also rebuilt faster because they had to do it on their own and didn't wait on handouts - whereas you still have parts of NOLA that haven't even torn down the destroyed buildings yet.

Baton Rouge does have it's own culture. I think it's more mixed because you have LSU and the chemical plants bringing in people from all over the world, and the state government bringing in people from all over the state. It's probably the only city in South LA where there are probably just as many, if not more protestants than Catholics. BR celebrates the cajun, without claiming to be cajun, leaves the creole to NOLA, and tries to be a southern city. The city tries to have fun without the excesses of NOLA, or even neighboring Lafayette. BR area is a balance, of cultures, of work, of fun, even of location. You have swampy land to the south, the wooded hills to the north, and the rolling pastures to the east. All surrounding a city on the river. BR doesn't want to be NOLA in any way. BR is happy to be BR.

Now that I've stepped down from my box, let me go read that article...

And I agree with a lot of what it says. But it's probably summed up best for the post Katrina situation by the comment of AMR2008

Old 06-09-2010, 08:58 PM

Good post .

Old 06-09-2010, 09:46 PM

In regards to the oil spill. New Orleans relies heavily on tourism and also attracts most of the visitors to the state. Tourism in the city relies heavily on restaurants (just as much as it does Bourbon if not more). If seafood becomes unavailable, restaurants raise prices or shut down. If that happens many people stop coming and Louisiana suffers.

A majority of New Orleanians could care less about Louisiana or Baton Rouge IMO, that's just how it is.

The post-Katrina stories from BR kill me seriously. BR was rough before the storm and most evacuees are back in NOLA or in TX, but the stories out of BR would make you think that every HANO resident was roaming the streets of South BR. On that note I find NO residents generally nicer and more accepting than BR residents.

Who considers Denham Springs the Northshore? Most people I know instantly connect Livingston with BR. Hammond is barely considered the Northshore and the tension between Jefferson and St. Tammany is so thick that you could cut it with a knife. Orleans could care less as usual.

The entitlement thing... hmm?

I don't think that New Orleanians are big-headed. I think that they just don't care about anything else.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:40 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,177,728 times
I don't know how nice I would consider New Orleans as a whole. True story: When I was living in New Orleans years ago, the apartment building across the street from me burned down on one of the coldest nights of the year. All the residents were outside freezing. So I went to my apartment and gathered every blanket I had and gave them to the people who were now homeless. All of my neighbors looked at me like I was insane. One woman said "Are you crazy? You're never gonna get those back!"...As if I was worried about getting them back. Not that this proves anything, just one of my many personal experiences.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:30 PM

I not going to say that the whole city, but if you ask me areas where transplants tend to settle (parts of Uptown for example) are usually on the ruder end of the spectrum. Some don't seem to be used to or comfortable with the gumbo like demographics of the city, and some just seem to be afraid of the natives (which defeat the purpose of moving here IMO, charm and history aside.). Don't get me wrong, there are *******s in every bunch and New Orleans has its share of ignorance, but I know many people who would have done the same and maybe even carried a large pot of red beans across the street.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:09 PM

2,049 posts, read 4,710,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
Are you serious ? Jelous over sports teams ? You really put a lot of thought into that one .
its actually true.
Although you wont hear people publically saying it. I have friend who worked on the staff of LSU and they have told me stories. But its not something LSU openly discusses or Baton Rouge will admit.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
its actually true.
Although you wont hear people publically saying it. I have friend who worked on the staff of LSU and they have told me stories. But its not something LSU openly discusses or Baton Rouge will admit.
Oh well , if your friend told you , then it has to be true . Funny , I've lived here for 52 years and I guess that makes me " Baton Rouge " .
Apparently it's a really good secret . Kind of along the lines of where is Jimmy Hoffa's body , or , who shot JFK . We probably shouldn't be discussing it .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or