Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 09:07 PM

63 posts, read 279,519 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to Leesville (had previously decided on Alexandria) but since it is actually an hr. away from hubby's work and with the price of gas-we may need to be closer. I had nixed Leesville as being too small, too dead. I am hoping someone tells me differently! I am a country girl for the msot part-I need a walmart nearby. Only need to go to the mall occasionally, but do need some stores when I need a shirt or something... Like to eat out on weekends. Like to go to a club or something and meet up with friends and their kids occasionally around the pool (country club or gym or something..) Like a good youth group and church and a homescholing get together. We have a sixteen yr. old son who hunts and fishes and a 13 yr. old girl who needs some friends and would like to take some dance classes, be a candy striper and become involved in things! Sound possible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 05:34 PM

22 posts, read 104,488 times
Default looking for place to rent

Hi, I just read your posts about needing a place to rent between Alexandria and Leesville. Have you found a place yet?
It must be really hard leaving Florida for Louisiana. My husband and I got married on Navarre Beach and would do anything to move to that area. One day we will but I am bound to this area for now, helping care for my grandparents. But we visit Navarre yearly and love it there.
This is a pretty small area, but there are a few groups you can get involved with. Check out the bayoumoms website. I do know that there is a homeschooling group in this area too. I am in the process of trying to decide between homeschooling or sending my 4 yr. old son to kindergarten. I also have a 2 yr. old and 12 yr. old daughters. My 12 yr. old takes dance at Cenla Academy of Performing Arts and she and my 4 yr. old are in the Nutcracker ballet (Red River Dance Theater) performance yearly. If you do not homeschool your older children, I do recommend checking out the magnet schools if you are going to be in Rapides Parish. \
Oh, and they did just open a new Walmart on Hwy. 28 west, between Alex. and Leesville.
Moderator cut: edit Thanks, I wish you much luck with your move!!!

Last edited by Sam I Am; 07-07-2008 at 06:25 PM.. Reason: no advertising in state forums of City Data - try the Classifieds section

Old 07-07-2008, 06:52 PM

Thanks so much for writing to me! We haven't found a place yet. It's pretty hard. I will check out the website for Bayou MOms and Cenla Academy as well, since my daughter wants to take dance. Maybe we can meet sometime and get our girls together-I will know no one!!! I am wanting to join a good christian church and the health club in Pineville to start making friends.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:19 PM

22 posts, read 104,488 times
Moderator cut: edit By the way, Nutcracker auditions are the 1st Saturday in August. Your daughter would probably really enjoy it and make a lot of new friends. There are a lot of people who homeschool that are in the Nutcracker . Here is the website for Red River Dance... Red River Dance Theatre Company Homepage
I don't think that Cenla Academy of Performing Arts has a website. They are a small school but very good/affordable, very instructional. But there are at least 5 dance schools in the area that I can think of off the top of my head.
Also, the children's museum in Alexandria called "The Treehouse" has good summer activites as does the Library.
Both of them have websites too.
I am a stay at home mom too but am a peer counselor for the Central La. Breastfeeding Coalition, we have two meetings per month and one of them is at The Treehouse.
Let me know if you need any more info about the area, it is small and slow but you just have to make the best of it.......

Last edited by Sam I Am; 07-08-2008 at 06:19 PM.. Reason: sorry, no advertising in state forums of City Data - you may advertise in Classifieds

Old 07-07-2008, 08:04 PM

Moderator cut: edit My daughter wouldn't be able to audiion for anything yet-she needs to learn how to dance first! I have high hopes of meeting so many nice people-I hope that is a reality.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 07-08-2008 at 06:20 PM.. Reason: sorry, previous poster should not have advertised, it's against the Terms of Service

Old 07-08-2008, 10:13 AM

29 posts, read 125,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbayle View Post
I have high hopes of meeting so many nice people-I hope that is a reality.
You and me both!

Old 01-15-2009, 12:20 PM

10 posts, read 83,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbayle View Post
I am considering moving to Leesville (had previously decided on Alexandria) but since it is actually an hr. away from hubby's work and with the price of gas-we may need to be closer. I had nixed Leesville as being too small, too dead. I am hoping someone tells me differently! I am a country girl for the msot part-I need a walmart nearby. Only need to go to the mall occasionally, but do need some stores when I need a shirt or something... Like to eat out on weekends. Like to go to a club or something and meet up with friends and their kids occasionally around the pool (country club or gym or something..) Like a good youth group and church and a homescholing get together. We have a sixteen yr. old son who hunts and fishes and a 13 yr. old girl who needs some friends and would like to take some dance classes, be a candy striper and become involved in things! Sound possible?

All of those things are possible. I have to admit, I did not look at the other replies. I am a city girl from NC and moing here was hard at first. They have a Wal-mart, Nichols (neat house and hunting store), cato's, shoe store, gamestop, It's fashion, a purse boutique that sells replica purses, a JC penneys in Deridder with more shopping, a Stage (like a Belk's), and other little boutiques. I just listed a few so that you know there are some things to do. Now, the food here SUCKS! ALl the restuarants are crappy, at least to me. I know good food. The thai resturant here is actually good and the bistro that just opened is one of my new laid back favs. We have Byrd hospital and other clinics, so your daughter could volunteer. There are dance studios here , there is a "country club" if you want to call it that, and a few parks. We are pretty close to Toledo Bend as well.

Leesville isn't great, but there is definitely worse out there. I teach at the local university, so I have meet a lot of the people. Overall, a good town to live in, but boring. As for things to do on weekends: movies, bowling, skating, bars, etc. It does have multiple things to do.

The churches around here I hear are really good. I went to areas in Winnfield and Pineville and they were religious people and not Christian like people (mostly in the baptist churches). It scared me from going to churches in Louisiana. I am thinking after speaking to people from here and meeting the people here I will give it a chance. Just be careful if you are not from Louisiana, it is know as the Bible belt for a reason. You will run into closed minded, ignorant Christians here, so prepare yourself.

*I have lived all over America and even in Europe and I have met thousands of people and I have never had a bad experience with Christians until I moved to Louisiana. I only noticed it in the Winnfield-Pineville area, so here you are fine from what I see. Just mainly the baptist are over-the top. Ex- a christian daycare here-your child cannot wear anything associated with Halloween, even jack-o-latern earrings. Santa Claus, Mardi Gras, Dr. Suess, Christmas trees, Harry Potter, etc are banned from some homes. When I taught in Pineville, I even had a parent that didn't want her child to learn Greek mythology because they were Christians she said, LoL. Crazy fruit-loops!!!
Good Luck.

*I have lived in Winnfield, Alexandria, and Leesville. Alexandria is definitely the best place around here. I lived in Alexandria for two years, but after a year of my hubby and I driving to Leesville for our jobs, I figured it was just time to move to Leesville.

Last edited by leorah; 01-15-2009 at 12:41 PM..

Old 01-15-2009, 08:03 PM

I am tbayle-the original poster of this subject-many mos. ago... I'm not sure why it resurfaced today (???) Anyway, after reading through it all again I thought I;d give an update. We found a house to rent off Hwy 28 by lake kincaid. The commute to Leesville isnt too bad. We love our neighbors and have made some good friends. I drive 20 mins. into Alexandria twice a week or so to shop. We joined a little country baptist church out here. My daughter starts dance in Alex. next week and has made a few friends at youth group. It's hard being homeschooled AND living in the country! We still need to meet more people and get out more! But for the most part, we are happy and enjoying the friendly people. In between Leesville and Alex has worked out well.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:32 PM

1 posts, read 10,661 times
Default born in 1940's in Leesville

Looking for people born in the1940's in Leesville, La. at War Memorial Hospital or delivered by Dr. Reid. Interested in finding out where he deliered babies.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:05 PM

1 posts, read 10,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Byerley View Post
Looking for people born in the1940's in Leesville, La. at War Memorial Hospital or delivered by Dr. Reid. Interested in finding out where he deliered babies.
I was born at War Memorial Hospital in 1942 and my brother in 1948. My 89-yr-old mother remembers only Dr Reid and said he could very well have been the only doctor there then. As a child I specifically remember the long (or so it seemed to me at a child!) hall in the hospital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana