U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2010, 10:18 PM

2,983 posts, read 2,656,898 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=2]I drove to Lafayette today b/c I needed a getaway. Lake Charles has not been doing me well these days and I needed something to do. I did tour River Ranch, Stunning neighboorhood!(the fact that there are sidewalks and that many oaks were preserved is a plus, wait make that two plusses). I'll confess that I was a bit skeptical about getting out of my car, b/c I'm not sure of the ethnic make up of the neighboorhood. It seems to be mostly white people. I know the Lafayette area has a mix of people, but for some reason, I just felt that I'd get the cold stares had I gotten out of my car and attempted to go eat on mainstreet in the neighboorhood. But after that, I spent a good bit of time on Congress, and Johnston. The traffic is a pain in the ass. (then having practically every street link back to ambassador caffery doesnt exactly do much to speed that traffic up). But I went to the mall, then went to Kohls. I think Lafayette is better to go on a saturday. Next time I go I'll have to stop @ one of those community coffeehouses. I'll have to come out w/ my brother and shop.
[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 05:09 PM

2,049 posts, read 4,710,989 times
Lafayette is becoming a pretty awesome place. When I first moved here 23 years ago it wasnt nearly as interesting. Northgate Mall was bustling though.
With the large amount of monied people here, I see exotic cars and lots of exciting projects being constructed. It brings in new places to eat and hang out and the medical field here is exceptional for a city of this size. The downsides are the traffic and increasing crime, but its still within reasonable limits.
Lafayette is definitely a unique city and has a lot to offer to visitors, but it is also a nice place to raise a family.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:41 PM

182 posts, read 443,058 times
pandorasfan, you've got to stop comparing Lafayette to Lake Charles. It's like comparing apples and oranges - just doesn't work. It may have worked decades ago, but it doesn't now. Both cities have their ups and downs, and both are unique in their own ways.

I'm sorry to hear you felt intimidated by the people of River Ranch.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTtcg View Post
pandorasfan, you've got to stop comparing Lafayette to Lake Charles. It's like comparing apples and oranges - just doesn't work. It may have worked decades ago, but it doesn't now. Both cities have their ups and downs, and both are unique in their own ways.

I'm sorry to hear you felt intimidated by the people of River Ranch.
When I said, Lake Charles wasnt doing me well, I was saying that right now, I"m just stressed out. Right now I'm unemployed, and I simply needed to get away you know to get my mind briefly over it. But I'm going to try and make a trip there w/ my brother b/c I wanna go back to the Kohls out there(and do some holiday shopping). I'll try to stop by RR and eat.

But anyway, how are the people in River Ranch, since we are on this?

Old 06-10-2010, 07:07 AM

1 posts, read 4,246 times
Glad that you came through the neighborhood! I would definitely encourage you to get out of your car and explore. We have an eclectic group of local business owners who are almost always in their businesses. They are all friendly and enjoy meeting new people.

To answer your question, there are about 2500 people who live in River Ranch but many more who come to work and play every day.

Thanks!
The River Ranch Business Owners
[url=http://www.riverranchbiz.com]River Ranch Business Association - Latest News[/url]

Old 06-14-2010, 12:05 PM

Yeah I'll have to make a trip back b/c it's a stunning neighborhood! And I like that they tried to keep as many trees as they can so it's not just another cookie cutter generic mess. Next time I head out there to shop I'll have to make a trip. I was able to get some phone pics though.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:47 PM

431 posts, read 970,098 times
Speaking of a development designed around native trees, just across Kaliste Saloom from River Ranch is a new upscale retail/commercial project called Parc Lafayette that will retain all 80 oak trees on it's 34 acres. These mature oaks form a straight line to the rear of the property, which will become the center of a 110' wide median for the main boulevard, essentially creating a park setting that will lead to a 5 star hotel.

Near the back of the property is a natural coulee which will be reworked into a series of lakes and fountains just prior to the hotel, which I've read will be run by Marriott.

I'd love to see the plans, but their website shows "Under Construction". Once the website is "Constructed", I'll start a new topic about this.

Phase I will be on the front 14 acres costing $28 million with a completion target of "early 2011". Hotel construction in phase II is to begin next spring with completion in late 2012. Hotel is planned for 100-120 rooms and is currently trying to secure a high-end (also 5 star) New Orleans restaurant to locate inside. What's interesting to note is that all the other restaurant properties around the hotel are pre-leased.

All told, it's planned as a $90 million development smack in the middle of the River Ranch/medical region that is seeing some incredible growth.

Looking forward to seeing what new eating establishments I'll be able to add to my lunch list. Baton Rouge has landed a great Brazilian churrascaria. I WANT ONE TOO! Fogo de Chao? Porcao? Not a chance in this market, but one can wish....

Old 06-20-2010, 10:44 PM

Yeah man, keep me posted on that. I'm always trying to see what's new in my homestate(hence the reason that most of my focus on this website is in the Louisiana forum)

In my area, there are a couple of neighboorhoods being developed, that I'd love the see the end result to. Southridge which will be along weaver road and the presley park neighborhood not too far from pine shadows golf course. And the graywood area is getting bigger and bigger. But concerning eating, LC needs a TGIF. I remember when I was a little kid we didnt even have a chilis but now there is one here and in sulphur.

http://www.southridgetnd.com/brochure.pdf (broken link)
Reeves Development : Southridge TND

Last edited by pandorafan5687; 06-20-2010 at 10:53 PM..

Old 12-03-2014, 08:49 PM

14,357 posts, read 20,794,799 times
I guess I'll resurrect this one, didn't feel like making a RR thread.
I walked around a bit and went and had a few drinks at The Tap Room. It sure looks like a promising development, better than The Grove in Baton Rouge and bigger than Perkins Rowe. It's like PR except with single family housing like The Grove. I didn't explore too much but liked what I saw. I like how it's part of the Lafayette street grid unlike similar developments in Baton Rouge. I wonder how it will compare to The Rouzan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana