U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2010, 06:34 AM

190 posts, read 814,647 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are staying in Louisville 7/1, 7/2 and 7/3.

What festivities are happening that we should partake of that weekend for July 4th Holiday?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 10:30 AM

63 posts, read 159,602 times
Go to this website to find out details about the fireworks show downtown on the waterfront.
Waterfront Independence Festival - Waterfront Independence Festival 2010
Or this one...
Louisville's Waterfront Park Fourth of July festivities announced for 2010 | courier-journal.com | The Courier-Journal

Old 06-30-2010, 09:13 AM

Thank you.

We are staying in Old Louisville on South Fourth St. at the Dupont Mansion.

Any good restaurants (casual) close by that you can recommend?

Is this neighborhood safe to walk at night? Have heard it is in a bit of a "transition".

Old 06-30-2010, 04:49 PM

4,824 posts, read 13,509,336 times
The fireworks on Sunday (10pm) in Crescent Hill are worth consideration. Bunch of excellent restaurants along Frankfort Ave.

I would not be a tourist in Old Louisville, especially after dark.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:37 PM

157 posts, read 446,476 times
Ohhh the festival looks so good this year!!! But I have to work. Wahhh.

The Dupont Mansion is a block away from where I live. Yes, the area is a "transition" but I wouldn't say it's so terribly unsafe that you shouldn't stay in that area. The most frequent confrontation you'll have in that part of town is bums asking you for cigarettes and change, or the occasional crazy person shouting obcenities. Prostitutes are out in the middle of the night, so I've heard. I've never had any problems or felt threatened at any time of night.

Casual restaurants: Third Avenue Cafe (corner of Third and Oak) and Amici (between Fourth and Third on Ormsby). I like both of them.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:25 AM

So we should not be walking to these restaurants at night?

Old 07-01-2010, 01:50 AM

6,973 posts, read 15,096,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdebbie View Post
So we should not be walking to these restaurants at night?
You should be fine to walk in groups. But this is not a happening area. It is an old school neighborhood that is very diverse and urban. The more walkable streets at night are fourth street downtown, bardstown, baxter, and barret avenues, and frankfort avenue all the way to breckenridge and shelbyville intersections.

The above restuarants are good. Should you want a very high end eatery, try 610 magnolia. what a gem. That said, you may want to take a cab into some of the more active nightlife areas of the city.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:49 PM

171 posts, read 352,229 times
The Rudyard Kipling is a haven for local artists. They serve alcohol and have an eclectic food menu that includes some Kentucky authentic specialties such as burgoo. It's completely casual but you might have to sidestep some bums along 4th street to get inside. Once inside you are safe. This is the type of place where people just might snap their fingers in appreciation of a good performance rather than clap Location: 422 W. Oak Street.

Bucks is a terrific restaurant. Not cheap but totally delicious. It's casual in the traditional sense meaning sport coat and slacks. You can forgo the tie. Location: 425 W. Ormsby. It should be right around the corner and it's nestled in a block of victorian mansions. Very cool.
Two totally different experiences in Old Louisville that won't disappoint.

I second the motion for the Magnolia Bar. It's a gem. Small, unassuming, and hip. No tourists allowed unless tipped off by the locals. Location: 1398 S 2nd Street.

Finally, 4th Street Live is worth a visit. It's a lot of fun. Makers Mark is my favorite bar, it's where I met my wife, but there is plenty to choose from at this venue such as British pubs or nightclubs.

Last but not least, the Seelbach hotel has a bar on the first floor that transends time. Besides having a live jazz trio on the weekends they have an unsurpassed selection of bourbons. You can truly imagine F. Scott Fitzgerald hanging out here because it doesn't look like it's changed since he used to. He was so impressed with this hotel he used it as the backdrop for Tom and Daisy's wedding in "The Great Gatsby". - http://www.registry-online.org/pdf/2...chFunFacts.pdf

Enjoy!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area