U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 08:43 PM

3,772 posts, read 9,992,713 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to know if Kingfish Restaurant was still operating in Louisville?I worked there when I was a teenager(1974) I worked at the one on 6th street in downtown,but I heard it had closed. Just wanted to know if any of the other franchise stores are still open?

Last edited by noland123; 06-24-2007 at 09:55 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 09:04 PM

3 posts, read 9,473 times
I am not sure if that location is closed, but there are Kingfish still open here in Louisville...

Old 06-24-2007, 09:24 PM

5,284 posts, read 19,035,344 times
The one on River Road is still there and the food is just as bad as ever (sorry, it is not one of my favorite places - love the view but not the food).

Old 06-24-2007, 11:04 PM

6,980 posts, read 15,108,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
Just wanted to know if Kingfish Restaurant was still operating in Louisville?I worked there when I was a teenager(1974) I worked at the one on 6th street in downtown,but I heard it had closed. Just wanted to know if any of the other franchise stores are still open?
Boy, has Louisville changed since you have been here. In fact, if you remember that restuarant and haven't been here since, the city is moving forward at light speed since its closing almost a decade ago. The old Kingfish on the river north of main at 7th will become a 62 story, 702 foot avant garde skyscraper, which is breaking ground in September:

Museum Plaza - Creating A Place In Louisville's Architectural Character.

That entire part of downtown has changed alot, in fact, with multiple museums, a hotel, and condos. Part of the old Kingfish site is also the Muhammad Ali center/museum, just east of the new skyscraper.

As noted above, there are several area Kingfishes (three left in the metro I think, as the in Buechel just closed) still left. The most prominent one is on the river in Jeffersonville, IN and has a nice skyline view. As many have noted, Kingfish has just awful food. The restauarant scene is so far surpassed Kingfish in Louisville that I am not sure how their remaining locations stay in business. Perhaps location and nostalgia? I would only go to the Jeff location for the skyline and river view, and even then, there are better restaurant options next to it. If you want a fried fish sandwich served Louisville style on white bread, try Cunningham's or Stan's.

If you want upscale fish, try Z's, which is an oustanding AAA four diamond rated restuarant.

Z's Oyster Bar & Steakhouse (http://www.zoysterbar.com/awards.php - broken link)

Old 06-25-2007, 06:32 AM

6,749 posts, read 20,877,625 times
There also used to be a Kingfish on Dixie which is not there either. It was tore down.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:25 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,531,418 times
Still a Kingfish on Blankenbaker. Good shrimp cocktail and I like their fish sandwich. (Cattknap and stx must be gourmets! It's OK for fast food, imo, although Cunningham's or Stan's is better, I have to admit.)

Old 06-25-2007, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
Still a Kingfish on Blankenbaker. Good shrimp cocktail and I like their fish sandwich. (Cattknap and stx must be gourmets! It's OK for fast food, imo, although Cunningham's or Stan's is better, I have to admit.)
How about Mike Linnig's? They are good and have a fun atmosphere.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:35 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,531,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
How about Mike Linnig's? They are good and have a fun atmosphere.
Oh, man, they are the best!!!!! You can get frog leg's there the size of drumsticks!

Old 06-25-2007, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
Oh, man, they are the best!!!!! You can get frog leg's there the size of drumsticks!
frog legs... ewww... and legs that big are probably bullfrogs! LOL

Old 06-25-2007, 03:18 PM

3,772 posts, read 9,992,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Boy, has Louisville changed since you have been here. In fact, if you remember that restuarant and haven't been here since, the city is moving forward at light speed since its closing almost a decade ago. The old Kingfish on the river north of main at 7th will become a 62 story, 702 foot avant garde skyscraper, which is breaking ground in September:

Museum Plaza - Creating A Place In Louisville's Architectural Character.

That entire part of downtown has changed alot, in fact, with multiple museums, a hotel, and condos. Part of the old Kingfish site is also the Muhammad Ali center/museum, just east of the new skyscraper.

As noted above, there are several area Kingfishes (three left in the metro I think, as the in Buechel just closed) still left. The most prominent one is on the river in Jeffersonville, IN and has a nice skyline view. As many have noted, Kingfish has just awful food. The restauarant scene is so far surpassed Kingfish in Louisville that I am not sure how their remaining locations stay in business. Perhaps location and nostalgia? I would only go to the Jeff location for the skyline and river view, and even then, there are better restaurant options next to it. If you want a fried fish sandwich served Louisville style on white bread, try Cunningham's or Stan's.

If you want upscale fish, try Z's, which is an oustanding AAA four diamond rated restuarant.

Z's Oyster Bar & Steakhouse (http://www.zoysterbar.com/awards.php - broken link)
Thank you for the information. Its sad to me that the restaurant is gone and that the quality of the food has declined.Back in the early 70's two men (one from the north and the other from the south) owned the place.I'm sure their both dead now.On a Friday and Saturday night, people from Kentuckiana came to the 6th street location and there would be anywhere from a 45 minute to over an hour wait.People were standing outside in droves to get in just to get a table.The food was outstanding then and people liked the riverboat facade of the place.
However, I'm glad to see Louisville make strides in improving their downtown area.I live in Florida now,but Louisville has a special place in my heart as does the restaurant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area