U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2010, 10:55 AM

2 posts, read 4,853 times

Advertisements

Hi there-

Just stumbled on to this site and thought I would sign up and see if I can get lucky finding a place. A little background- I moved down here October 2009 and live have a roommate in an apartment in St. Matthews.

I'm not interested in living in an apartment but because I re-located from Indianapolis and had 2 weeks to find a place, I let my roommate pick out a place for us.

I do like the apartment and location, but I would really prefer a home. Our lease ends Oct. 31st and we've been looking for about a month or so with very little luck. I work downtown and my roommate works at Louisville International Airport. We would prefer to stay east of I-65 and need 2 full bathrooms. Our rent right now is $1,000 and I would prefer that be my max if I find a place. We've found a couple that were decent in that price range and a little below, but nothing worth packing our stuff up and moving in to.

We have no pets and are very clean. I've looked at the Courier-Journal website, local realtor sites, and several nationwide rental sites. I realize fall is not the prime time to begin a rental search, so we are considering re-signing at our present apartment for a 6-month lease and then hoping we have better luck after the new year.

Like I said, I'm fairly new down here and still haven't figured out all the good and bad areas. The biggest thing we are looking for is a decent house in a decent area and $1000 or under.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them. Every good home I seem to find is a 1-bath property.

Thanks very much
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 12:02 PM

163 posts, read 402,219 times
Six months ago I was doing the same search you are. We've shifted gears and are now looking to buy instead of rent.

I also found it difficult to find a 2 bath house under $1000. Of course, I also had a narrower search than you because we needed something that allowed pets. Although we did want to rent a house, we also looked at some townhomes/condos that could have potentially worked. I don't know your situation but some townhomes/condos feel much more like a house than an apartment.

Overall, I think it is possible to find what you want, but it might take some searching. Here are some of the rental sites I used during my search.

Louisville Home Rentals, Homes for Rent in Louisville KY, Apartments, Houses for Rent, and Rental Homes in Louisville, Kentucky
Louisville KY Home Rentals, Apartments for Rent, Homes or Houses for rent in Louisville KY | RentalHouses.com
Louisville Real Estate :: Exit Realty Crutcher

Although some of the search results will be similar, there are also some houses that are not listed on all of the rental sites, so I always checked multiple sites just to ensure that I wouldn't miss something. I also checked craigslist fairly often and actually found several great rentals on there that rented before I could get in. The only issue is that are a lot of scams on craigslist. As long as you can spot the scams and avoid them, its a great site.

To get a better grasp on the crime levels in different parts of Louisville, here's the site I used: Crime Reports - Louisville, Kentucky - Metro Mapper

It's also a good idea to drive through neighborhoods you like and look for "For Rent" signs. There can be great homes out there that never make it to the Internet searches because they rent out to someone who saw the sign in the yard.

Good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for!

Old 08-23-2010, 12:03 PM

2 posts, read 4,853 times
Thanks to both of you for the information. I may be interested in that rental. I have driven around some neighborhoods and think I am getting close to finding one. I'm considering bringing in another roommate as that will definitely help.

Thanks again!

Old 06-13-2011, 07:13 AM

2 posts, read 5,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMDaz View Post
Hi there-

Just stumbled on to this site and thought I would sign up and see if I can get lucky finding a place. A little background- I moved down here October 2009 and live have a roommate in an apartment in St. Matthews.

I'm not interested in living in an apartment but because I re-located from Indianapolis and had 2 weeks to find a place, I let my roommate pick out a place for us.

I do like the apartment and location, but I would really prefer a home. Our lease ends Oct. 31st and we've been looking for about a month or so with very little luck. I work downtown and my roommate works at Louisville International Airport. We would prefer to stay east of I-65 and need 2 full bathrooms. Our rent right now is $1,000 and I would prefer that be my max if I find a place. We've found a couple that were decent in that price range and a little below, but nothing worth packing our stuff up and moving in to.

We have no pets and are very clean. I've looked at the Courier-Journal website, local realtor sites, and several nationwide rental sites. I realize fall is not the prime time to begin a rental search, so we are considering re-signing at our present apartment for a 6-month lease and then hoping we have better luck after the new year.

Like I said, I'm fairly new down here and still haven't figured out all the good and bad areas. The biggest thing we are looking for is a decent house in a decent area and $1000 or under.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them. Every good home I seem to find is a 1-bath property.

Thanks very much
I have a 3 BR/2 BA double located @ 1128 S Capitol that's clean & in a good neighborhood that would fit your search. Call Brad 317-691-9295 if interested...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area