U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 11:40 AM

9 posts, read 22,286 times

Advertisements

We will be in Louisville this weekend, and we are looking for some good, inexpensive places to eat. We will be staying a little east of the city, but we will be visiting various places. We have two little kids (one toddler and one infant), so the places must be kid friendly. We really like BBQ, Italian, Pizza, and anything that is local to an area. We don't want to spend more than $10-15/person, but we want to make sure to eat at the can't-miss Louisville places.
Also, any suggestions on things to do with the kids? We are going to go to the zoo, Slugger Museum, Science Museum, and some parks. Is there anything that we HAVE to do or see before we leave Louisville? Thanks for the help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 06:55 PM

4,824 posts, read 13,510,903 times
BBQ= Marks Feed Store on US 60 about 2 miles west of I-265 in Middletown. Very close to Owensboro style BBQ and it's good. Local American: Moms (Hwy 146 just west of downtown LaGrange), Irish Rover (either on Frankfort Ave (US60) near downtown Louisville, or in downtown LaGrange), Michael Reidy is own/op and an Irish immigrant) Pizza, Wicks on US60 (one mile west of I-265 or near corner of Goose Creek Rd & Westport Rd). Impellizari's in the Highlands (near Taylorsville Rd on Bardstown Rd-US31E) Breakfast must include Lynns Paradise Cafe!!!! You must call first.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:14 PM

25,585 posts, read 37,312,755 times
If you want good Southern Fried Chicken, Indi's on W Broadway or Chicken King on East Broadway is the best chicken you will ever taste.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:31 PM

I am assuming you say to call Lynn's Paradise first because they are very busy. What if we go at an off-peak time? Are they always busy? I have heard amazing things about the place, but if we are going to have to wait forever we may have to put it off for another time. Thanks for the tips so far!

Old 09-01-2010, 08:42 PM

12 posts, read 35,629 times
If you like Cuban food then you should try Havana Rumba on 12003 Shelbyville Road, they have kid menu too and you can sit outside and let the kids play. My 4 year old like that place.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:54 PM

44 posts, read 148,319 times
I go fairly often to Lynn's Paradise Cafe, and rarely call first. If you go at an off-time, you should not have trouble being seated fairly quickly. I was there last week around 1 pm and found a parking spot in their main parking lot and was seated immediately. Be sure to bring your camera if you go to Lynn's as there are lots of nice photo ops! As a side note, see my profile picture- I took it recently at Lynn's!

I also second Mark's Feed Store in Middletown or Hometown Pizza in Middletown, both are local restaurants that are kid friendly and are inexpensive.

It sounds like you already have some good places picked out for activities with the kids... there are a lot of neat places for older kids, but with a toddler, the zoo is probably your best bet. Also, the zoo has an awesome splash park that is open until Sept. 12 and is free with admission. Within the splash park they have an area just for toddlers. Just be sure to pack swim diapers/swimsuit and if you don't want your child to be barefoot in the splash area they have to wear pool shoes, street shoes aren't allowed. I hope this helps and have fun in Louisville!

Old 09-02-2010, 05:22 AM

5,284 posts, read 19,030,544 times
Do take them for a cruise down the Ohio on The Belle of Louisville

Old 09-02-2010, 07:21 AM

Great suggestion Cattknap, that one slipped my mind! I recently went on a Belle cruise with my two boys and they loved it! Plus, this weekend is supposed to be great weather!

Old 09-02-2010, 11:57 AM

Wow, what great help you have all been. We have three pizza places that have been recommended: Wick's, Impellizeri's, and Hometown. Unfortunately we won't have time to visit all three, so which is the best and why? I think we may go to Hometown simply because it has a buffet (easier to get the kids something the like), but I want to make sure to hit the best of the three if there is a definite difference. I know everyone has their favorites, so what is yours? Thanks again for all the help.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:45 PM

That's a tough one, I really like all three! I think Hometown is the best as far as a family restaurant goes, Wick's has my favorite crust, and Impellizeri's has great pizza if you like really THICK crust! I like the atmosphere at Wick's, but it is not as kid friendly since there is a large bar area, and every time I go to Impellizeri's I feel like I'm waiting forever for my pizza (and a bit pricey), but it's yummy once it arrives! Sooo...I was probably no help, but I guess with small children I'd lean toward Hometown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area