U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2010, 03:23 PM

25,627 posts, read 37,410,917 times

Advertisements

In my short time here I've actively looked for good local businesses to try and support. Here are a few that I've found.

- Ft. Knox

A Touch of Soul- this is a great soul food place not even a mile from the Wilson gate of Ft. Knox. Very affordable great food.

PC Medic- I used them to repair my laptop and had my laptop back to me the same day and very affordable.

- Louisville

Indi's and Chicken King (two seperate businesses on different sides on Broadway)- The chicken at these places is unlike any you've ever tasted.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 05:47 PM

4,824 posts, read 13,525,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
In my short time here I've actively looked for good local businesses to try and support. Here are a few that I've found.

- Ft. Knox

A Touch of Soul- this is a great soul food place not even a mile from the Wilson gate of Ft. Knox. Very affordable great food.

PC Medic- I used them to repair my laptop and had my laptop back to me the same day and very affordable.

- Louisville

Indi's and Chicken King (two seperate businesses on different sides on Broadway)- The chicken at these places is unlike any you've ever tasted.
Alan, I truly appreciate your kind hearted and sincere efforts. Thank you!

I wish more people would take your approach to supporting local firms. I am fighting (seems that I am always fighting) a chamber of commerce that is supporting a big box in the neighboring county. The big box competes against nearly all the various businesses who are members of the local economy. Want a car, you can get a discount there. Need groceries, drugs, eyeglasses, wine, beer, groceries, furniture, clothing, business printing, even banking or real estate, the big box can do it. But in doing so, it doesn't pay one penny in taxes although it may hire a few commuters, nor does it offer money to the kids selling year book advertisements, or support a local boy/girl scout troup, etc.

Thank you again for doing more than the local chamber of commerce to support small entreprenuers simply trying to earn a living, not necessarily make a fortune.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:12 PM

44 posts, read 148,596 times
Thanks Alanboy for the suggestions. I've been to Indi's, but have never tried Chicken King. I'll have to give it a whirl next time I'm downtown... Also, I only travel to the Ft. Knox area 3-4 times a year, but I always find myself looking for a good place to eat. Next time I'm out that way I'll have to try A Touch of Soul!

A funny story about Indi's- when I moved to Old Louisville to go to U of L, a friend of mine asked if I had ever gone to Indi's to have soul food. I replied that not only had I never been to Indi's, I'd never tried soul food, period. Well, my friend was shocked, so she drove me over to Indi's and while we were staring at the menu, I made a funny discovery. The food I grew up eating, made by my very white mother, was the exact same food that they were serving at Indi's! It turns out that my mom is awesome at making soul food! lol. That day I discovered that "country cooking" and "soul food" often overlaps. My mom raised me on kale and turnip greens, pinto beans, cornbread, fried chicken, fried okra, etc. So now every time I go into an Indi's, I get home cookin'!

Old 09-09-2010, 04:33 AM

93 posts, read 266,447 times
Obviously are a lot more businesses than those listed, but these would be ones I frequent.

Beer:

BBC - Brewery and Bottled Beer
Kentucky Ale - Lexington Based (owned by Alltech)

Groceries (there are quite a few) Recommendaitons:

Burger's Market (Grinstead Road near Collegiate)
Doll's Marker (Upper Brownsboro Road)

Bars:

Just about anything not on 4th Street.

Local Diner Recommendations:

Zanzabar aka Z-Bar (Germantown - VERY underrated food)
Flabby's (Germantown)
Granville Inn (S. 3rd Street) - GREAT Hamburgers!
Brownie's The Shed Bar and Grille - Hurstbourne Lane (PT Chang's and Shelbyville intersection)
Barbara Lee's (Upper Brownsboro) - Local version of Waffle House and very good (24 hours).
Beer Depot (Frankfort Avenue) - Great BBQ, Cheap Beer
The Zeppelin (Germantown)

Bagels:

Nancy's Bagels (Frankfort Avenue)

Fish:

The Fishery (St. Matthews)

Banks:

Republican Bank (Louisville-based, Kentucky-wide)
Stockyards Bank
River City Bank

Furniture:

Smith's (That's who.)

Old 09-10-2010, 10:23 AM

44 posts, read 148,596 times
Let's keep this thread going! I love hearing about local places to give our money to! Here's some of mine:

Restaurants:

Cafe Mimosa- on Bardstown Rd. This has been one of my favorite places for years. Great food, not overpriced, and the owner is super nice.

Brix Wine Bar- located on LaGrange Road in the east end... I'm not a drinker, but this place has GREAT food!

Ramsi's Cafe on the World- Never disappoints! I usually go here for dinner, but their Sunday brunch is awesome too!

Red Pepper Cafe- there are two locations now, one on Main Street in Lagrange and one on the 329 bypass in Crestwood (both in Oldham County). I can't say enough about this place for catering and/or lunch! Great food, large portions, great prices!!

Shops:

Sister's Tea Parlor and Boutique- this shop is in Buckner (Oldham) and is my go-to place to purchase gifts for girls and women! Really one of the neatest little shops around. Tons of unique gifts to chose from, decent prices, and they'll even prepare your purchases in a gift bag to give as a gift! They also have an award winning tea room that serves tea by the cup or have a sit down tea time with deserts and finger foods!

The Treasured Child- in LaGrange. This is a toy store that is really wonderful and so polar opposite from the box stores like Toys R Us. The kind of place that both parent and child would love to spend hours in!

Book and Music Exchange (a bunch of locations around Louisville)- messy, floor-to-ceiling video games, movies, books, etc! I love it! My kids also love taking the video games they're finished with and trading them for new ones.

WHY Louisville- I love, love, LOVE this place! They are the epitome of local business at its best- they support local artists, they love their city, they have great prices...oh, I could go on and on! I visit this shop several times a year to buy closing gifts, bring my out of town friends to get Louisville items, and to support Louisville artists : )

Dot Fox- a clothing shop on Bardstown Rd. The owner has a great sense of style! About a year ago when I was showing art at a gallery for charity, I was at a loss for what to wear. I happened into this shop, and the owner dropped everything she was doing to help me, and had me dressed and ready to go in about 30 minutes! She saved my day, and since then I've been a frequent shopper there!

Feeder's Supply- a great local pet store. Not as big and fancy as Petsmart, but they have everything I need for my dog, and I like the fact that by shopping there I'm supporting a local business.

Choi's Asian Food Market- located on Lyndon Ln, this is my favorite grocery to buy asian foods. I frequently cook Korean meals, and can find everything I need here. A small shop, but a great selection of speciality items, and friendly staff.

The Game Room- this is located in Crestwood Station in Oldham County. It is a large facility where kids can come and play video games on large screen televisions on their own, or in groups. You can pay by the hour, the day, or sometimes they have special events. They also have a snack bar area. This is a fairly new business, but I would love to see it succeed. It's a great concept, the owner seems really nice, and it gives kids another option for fun!

I'm sure everyone has their favorite places- I would love to see more of these lists, so I can explore some new local businesses!

Last edited by Queen Louis; 09-10-2010 at 10:34 AM..

Old 09-17-2010, 10:06 PM

101 posts, read 183,751 times
I have only been in E-Town area for 2 months, but already found A Touch Of Soul thanks to hubby who works at Ft Knox. We are regs!

Old 10-01-2010, 04:33 PM

Ok, a good barbershop is Cuts Unlimited on N Wilson, close to the base. Inexpensive and ran by a husband and wife team.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:58 PM

I have to add another restaurant. I tried a BBQ place off Preston Hwy called Baby G's BBQ. Let me just say the Pulled Pork BBQ combo is a great value. You get a delicious spicy BBQ sandwich, a nice portion of excellently seasoned fries and a drink for under $7. I wouldn't recommend going there during your lunch hour w/o calling ahead at least since they make EVERYTHING cooked to order which takes a while.

I have to sadly report a Touch of Soul has closed near Ft. Knox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area