Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 08:17 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,790,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
HOW COME THE cOLONELS DIDNT GO INTO THE nba AFTER THE aba FOLDED IN 1976?
Here's what Wikipedia says, but it's not too helpful:

"In the end, the NBA agreed to take in four teams--but the Colonels weren't among them. Although it has never been confirmed, it is likely that the NBA selected the Pacers over the Colonels because Indianapolis was a more lucrative market. However, the Colonels were on far stronger financial footing than the Pacers."
Kentucky Colonels - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Remember, back then, pro basketball was no where near what it is now. Either in popularity or in revenue. My memory was that John Brown was looking for another local owner to spit the buy-in money to the NBA with him and no one stepped up.

Nice little article here, with this take on the situation: "It was clear to everyone that the Colonels had the talent and the fan support to join the NBA for the 1976-77 season. However, during the merger negotiations in June 1976, the NBA made it clear that it would accept only four ABA teams, not five. With Denver, San Antonio, New York and Indiana being the clear front-runners to make the cut, John Y. Brown decided that it was better to fold the team for cash, instead of continuing to fight."
Remember the ABA: Kentucky Colonels
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 05:39 PM

257 posts, read 881,121 times
i think it had something to do with the louisville owner not wanting to pay the money to move to the nba. he took a 'buyout' of some sort and let indianapolis' owner pay to move instead. i could be wrong though, but i remember reading this somewhere.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:33 PM

96 posts, read 616,445 times
Louisville blew its chances back in ABA days and then when the Hornets and Grizzlies moved. The Rockets also had interest in moving to Louisville before finally getting a deal for a new arena (the one they now play in).

With the new arena FINALLY coming it makes you think there could be a chance for an NBA team to come but I see about three problems:

1) There aren't any teams that I can think of that are in any position that would cause them to want to re-locate outside of the Sonics who would almost definitly move to Oklahoma City considering their owner(s) is/are Oklahoma City business men. The Magic and Kings both have agreements for new arenas I believe.

2) Even if there were any teams looking to re-locate, or if the league decided to expand again, there are other cities that are looking for a team besides Louisville, including Las Vegas and Kansas City (they have a brand new arena out there)

3) From what I understand, the University of Louisville plans to have the men's AND women's basketball teams as primary tenants of the new arena. Do you really think an NBA team would go for that? Not having scheduling priority over a women's college basketball team? Or even men's? The Wizards have scheduling priority over Georgetown and the same for the Grizzlies over Memphis.

I just don't see a team coming. Louisville couldn't support MLB or NFL either and not even minor league hockey teams can survive here so count out the NHL as well (not that anyone cares about the NHL though)

The city blew its chances. Opportunities came and no one in charge tried hard enough for an NBA team. I don't think they will ever bring a team here and even if they did it would be long after I leave so it won't make much of a difference to me anyway.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:50 AM

25 posts, read 75,500 times
Default Louisville meets all of the requirements for and NBA team

Louisville has all othe atributes that a NBA tem looks for but Louisville hasn't seemed to embrace professional sports.

The Greater Louisville Sports Commission is a city department charged with bringing sporting events to Louisville. Most recently the Ironman and soon the Ryder Cup. Maybe NBA is next.

Old 02-06-2008, 04:07 PM

i think louisville could most definitely support an nfl team. there are just too many of those around louisville that it would never happen.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:22 PM

96 posts, read 616,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bw87a View Post
i think louisville could most definitely support an nfl team. there are just too many of those around louisville that it would never happen.
No, it couldn't. Before Louisville's football team got really good in just the past 3-4 years and the all the bandwagonners hopped on, they had trouble completely selling out 42,000 seat Papa John's Cardinal Stadium. It was usually mostly full but not completely sold out... 42,000! That's the average capacity of most Major League Baseball stadiums... NFL Stadiums are inbetween 63,000 and 80,000 and if they can't sell out a 42,000 seat stadium how could they sell out a 70,000 seat stadium? They can't even get a real Arena Football League team... they have minor league Arena Football.

The city could support an NBA team but like I said in my other post I really don't think it's going to happen. Louisville might as well be called Loserville when it comes to pro sports. Good college sports town, but they never tried hard enough when opportunities came for pro teams and as a result every major city around Louisville has at least 1 team while Louisville still has none. Memphis has NBA, Nashville has NFL and NHL, Cincinnati has MLB and NFL, Indianapolis has NFL and NBA, and St. Louis has MLB, NFL, and NHL.

It's funny how Louisville cheats on its population and calls itself the "16th largest city in America" yet they are too scared to get any pro sports teams, something every other big major city has.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:47 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,790,369 times
I wonder if we just don't have other priorities than major league sports, and I wonder if that's really a bad thing.

Old 02-08-2008, 01:25 PM

the nfl is a lot different than college sports. if louisville wants to bring in young professionals with a family to work in the city, they are more than likely going to support an nfl team over the university of louisville. many of these people graduated from other universities and don't want to come to louisville and ONLY have to support the local university.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureMover08 View Post
They can't even get a real Arena Football League team... they have minor league Arena Football.
sorry to double post, but i just saw this. louisville is currently gathering the support to move to the AFL by 2010 when the new arena is completed.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:59 PM

10,055 posts, read 14,418,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bw87a View Post
Louisville is too close in proximity to Cincinnati (NFL/MLB), Indianapolis (NFL/NBA), and Nashville (NFL/NHL). They are all quite bigger (metro areas) than Louisville and already have NFL teams. I don't think the metro Louisville population could support an NFL team--it might if it grows considerably within the next 20 years or a team that is existing moves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area