U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 06:54 AM

5 posts, read 26,098 times

Advertisements

Could somebody give me some information about Prospect?

What are the property tax rates? I have been unable to dig up this information on my own.

Proximity to airport. On mapquest I came up with 25 minutes to the airport from Hillcrest subdivision. Is this accurate?

Does Oldham County have open enrollment for high schools? I have looked at all the school websites but would like any insight about North Oldham High and Oldham County High School.

Hillcrest looks like a nice subdivision. Can anyone tell me if there are stores (grocery, cleaners, etc.) close by or do you have to go to Jefferson County?

Bike Trails and nature areas. It looks like a large bike trail loop is being designed/connected throughout Louisville metro. What are the trails like in Prospect and near the river?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2007, 07:49 AM

39 posts, read 143,747 times
The property tax rates in prospect are $1.05 a hundred. The high schools do have open enrollment, the high school district for Hillcrest I believe would be North Oldham High School. Hillcrest is a nice subdivision with current home listings starting at $434,900 and up. Prospect Does have a Kroger, a couple of restaurants, my favorite being Statens BBQ, a hardware store, beauty salon, cleaners, etc.. Commercial development is picking up in Prospect but has been slow going as the community wanted to keep with the natural beauty of the town. I am not sure of the info. on the bike trails, however my mother in law lives in Prospect and is an avid bike rider. I think she mainly takes the tree lined back roads through horse country which is very beautiful in the area. Prospect is one of the wealthier communities in Oldham County, and has a lot to offer. North Oldham High is located in Prospect, Oldham County is located in Buckner. North Oldham serves the Prospect and Goshen area and Oldham County serves parts of Buckner and LaGrange. Both schools are very good schools, Oldham County High is getting a bit of a remodel this summer before next school year starts. Here is the website for the entire school system: Oldham County Schools Web I am not sure if you have been on this one yet. I don't really know of any major differences between the two schools but rest assured all schools in Oldham County are nice schools with high marks. I wouldn't have a negative thing to say about any of them. If you have any other questions I'd be happy to help!

Old 07-01-2007, 10:16 PM

4 posts, read 4,083 times
Default All is Not Rosy, as we shall see....

Having lived in Prospect 30 years ago, it was beautiful. Lots of green space, plenty of nature to be had. Now - If you like strip malls, mini-marts, and lots of condos and subdivisions, then Prospect is the place for you.
It will be difficult to ascertain the call of the meadow lark with so many idling or stopped SUV's. Yes - idling (because of the numerous lights that plague the area now), or speeding (because they're in a hurry to get to the next light). And another word of advice, happy cyclist : Avoid the use of I-71 under any circumstances, and rue the day that you must use Brownsboro Road between The Metro and Prospect. That leaves River Road as your best choice. And pray you don't need to use it to get downtown in the morning.
Living up to my name, I HATE THE METRO !

Old 07-02-2007, 06:03 AM

69 posts, read 307,052 times
Default Hillcrest

Prospect is a great town. Hillcrest is probably the best subdivision if you have kids & want to meet people quickly. There are some people native to the area, but a lot more that have been transferred or chose to move to KY, so neighbors become like family. There is a pool in the neighborhood as well. The schools are great & North Oldham HS is starting a $2 million renovation this summer. There are some homes for sale right now in the subdivision, but usually sell pretty quick as this is a popular subdivision. There is also Creasy Mahon nature preserve behind the HS. I would suggest biking in Oldham county, not on River Road towards the city as the other post said!!

Old 07-02-2007, 07:31 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,543,276 times
If memory serves, a part of Prospect is in Jefferson County, although most of it is in Oldham. So tax rates might be slightly higher depending on where you live in Prospect.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:24 PM

7,021 posts, read 15,209,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
If memory serves, a part of Prospect is in Jefferson County, although most of it is in Oldham. So tax rates might be slightly higher depending on where you live in Prospect.
I actually believe it is the opposite. Most of Prospect's population is in Jefferson in subdivisons like Sutherland and Hunting Creek. The area's largest development, Norton Commons, is nearly 80% in Jefferson County, and this will add over 4,000 residents to Jefferson and probably 1,000 to Oldham.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:51 PM

69 posts, read 307,052 times
All of Hillcrest, Paramont and several other subdivisions are in Oldham county. For what you are looking for, Hillcrest sounds like the best for you-Oldham county 100%.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:53 PM

1,448 posts, read 4,543,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
I actually believe it is the opposite.
I pulled up a map program and you are correct. More land and more people in Jefferson than Oldham. So county tax rates may differ slightly.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:12 PM

5 posts, read 26,098 times
Thank you to all who replied to my questions. We'll be heading back to KY in a few weeks on another scouting mission, with a focus on Oldham County, and Prospect in particular. We visited friends in Prospect a few years ago and thought it was lovely -- but odd for my husband when he saw Camp Covered Bridge, his old boy scout camp, now a subdivision.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:28 AM

2 posts, read 8,418 times
Default Longwood

Longwood is another choice located across from the Oldham County School campus. It is one of the fastest growing upscale developments in Oldham County. We have new homes available David Carey Custom Builder if you need additional information please contact us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area