U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 04:07 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,169,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojolico View Post
What your wants / needs are describing to me is the Highlands. The DePaul school is in the Highlands. I think dyslexia is their major focus. I wouldn't consider parochial schools at all, and public schools "try" their best.......just something to consider.
Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 04:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,640 times
My wife is in real estate and she has worked with a handful of families that have been interested in schools that are the best equipped to handle children with dsylexia. There are options. Her real estate firm also handles houses in that price range all over Louisville. Let me know if I can help.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:50 PM

9 posts, read 16,998 times
Like all others, I would without a doubt suggest the Highlands. It is a very walkable area with a great community vibe.

Looking at real estate, some street examples are Village Drive, Casselberry Road, Sulgrave Road, and Spring Drive, which vary greatly in price. For example, there is a house for sale toward the end of Village for $470,000 while just a couple years back a house on Casselberry sold for $1,600,000, and even then, other homes are $2,500,000.

There are also many options when looking at schools. I attended Saint Agnes myself, and it is a fantastic school. However, I will warn you that it is strongly Catholic, as are all the other Catholic schools. Every single child in my entire grade was Catholic. While non-Catholic children would certainly be accepted, it could potentially be rather uncomfortable due to the weekly mass attended by students, daily religion classes, sacraments received, and the overall consistent Catholic focus.

The Depaul School is wonderful as well. A sibling of one of my friends went there and the entire family continually raved about how great it was.

Although all of these options may seem overwhelming, the variety is what makes the Highlands so fantastic - it truly is a gift.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:31 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,662,971 times
the highlands truly is a jewell of louisville and really the only area i myself would ever want to live in louisville. doctors, lawyers and proffesional people living with musicians, artists and hippies makes for a great open minded vibe. factor in the walkability and schools and i think there is no better option for your family.

another thing to consider is the easy commute to downtown, assuming your husband is working downtown that is. best of luck.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:19 PM

6 posts, read 10,104 times
Default Relocation

I, too, am considering relocation to Louisville. I will not bore anyone with the same old, same old, but I do question how one can buy a house for $100,000 or $400,000, or anywhere in between, and all the reports and messages I have read describe the schools in Louisville as pathetic at best. I do remember reading one about a different county, Oldham (I think), but Jefferson Co. schools are sliced up by everyone, every report and every website. Are there any schools, without being private, religious based (Catholic- which we are not), that are worth sending my children to? I have a daughter in Kindergarten, and two younger than her. So a good school is a definite.

Also, are schools in Indiana any better? I am from an extremely small town in Ohio, so I am used to that feel, just wanting to know the best options. Sidenote: I know all opinions are just that, but websites such as Schooldigger and Greatschools blast the public schools around this area. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:14 PM

7 posts, read 12,573 times
In my opinion, lol, the school system here is terrible. I'm shocked and amazed what kids are offered in other cities opposed to the education we were offered. I can't say anything about the Oldham county school system but if it's anything like Meade County, it's also not very good.
As to your house question, a thousand times yes. You can find some amazing houses for $100,000 around here.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:06 PM

4,824 posts, read 13,512,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockster3000 View Post
In my opinion, lol, the school system here is terrible. I'm shocked and amazed what kids are offered in other cities opposed to the education we were offered. I can't say anything about the Oldham county school system but if it's anything like Meade County, it's also not very good.
As to your house question, a thousand times yes. You can find some amazing houses for $100,000 around here.
Rockster, Oldham County Schools are unlike any Louisville area school district. In my opinion, there are a few great school districts in Kentucky. Oldham County, Boone County, Daviess County and Barren County come to mind as being exceptional.

Indiana schools have some very good districts. Places like Brownstown Central are exceptional.

The Oldham County is exceptional because it chose to operate with a decentralized system. There are currently three high schools with two more planned. Our parents make the difference too.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:55 AM

12 posts, read 16,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaday View Post
Hi all,

Spouse is currently looking into a position in Louisville. We have two children...in elementary school. My youngest is dyslexic.

-Where you are working: Downtown

-How much you are willing to spend on housing: $400-$500K of course less is always better

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate: very short

-If you have kids: public or private.... don't know what is available for my different learner

What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for:walkable, family friendly, lots of places to play and ride bikes plus coffee, wine and good food for Mom and Dad, tolerant of my liberal politics or at least not irritated by it, neighborly..people outside when weather permits..strong sense of community is very important

Community amenities important to you: swim club (kids are competitive swimmers), community theater

Pie or cake?: Pizza pie (I have to have it nearby)

Thanks in advance!
I am a realtor who specializes in the Highlands, crescent hill area, I have lived and worked in those areas for over 30 years and would love to show you around and help you find a home.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,283 times
Default Relocation to Louisville

I am being transferred to Louisville by the company I work for. I don't know much about the area, but it was the best option.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:48 AM

12 posts, read 16,998 times
You would love the highland! I do specialize in the highlands and the crescent hill/clifton area and would love to help you! The highlands is close to the downtown area and there is pizza parlors everywhere!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area