U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 12:02 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,168,186 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Spouse is currently looking into a position in Louisville. We have two children...in elementary school. My youngest is dyslexic.

-Where you are working: Downtown

-How much you are willing to spend on housing: $400-$500K of course less is always better

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate: very short

-If you have kids: public or private.... don't know what is available for my different learner

What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for:walkable, family friendly, lots of places to play and ride bikes plus coffee, wine and good food for Mom and Dad, tolerant of my liberal politics or at least not irritated by it, neighborly..people outside when weather permits..strong sense of community is very important

Community amenities important to you: swim club (kids are competitive swimmers), community theater

Pie or cake?: Pizza pie (I have to have it nearby)

Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 06:30 PM

4,824 posts, read 13,508,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaday View Post
Hi all,

Spouse is currently looking into a position in Louisville. We have two children...in elementary school. My youngest is dyslexic.

-How much you are willing to spend on housing: $400-$500K of course less is always better

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate: very short

-If you have kids: public or private.... don't know what is available for my different learner

What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for:walkable, family friendly, lots of places to play and ride bikes plus coffee, wine and good food for Mom and Dad, tolerant of my liberal politics or at least not irritated by it, neighborly..people outside when weather permits..strong sense of community is very important

Community amenities important to you: swim club (kids are competitive swimmers), community theater

Pie or cake?: Pizza pie (I have to have it nearby)

Thanks in advance!
Interesting post.

My first impulse is the Highlands. Yet, I can't rule out Springhurst/Summit/Norton Commons either.

Your comment about liberal politics and people being irritated by what must be an expressive nature is a bit frustrating. I am likely as conservative as you are liberal, but that is why America is great. I have never heard of a Louisville area neighborhood where there is a bitterness towards either minority. Liberal neighborhoods tolerate conservative and vice-versa.

Your dyslexic child will have many venues for learning. The Jefferson County Public School system is as good as it gets for special learning programs.

Real pizza is all over Louisville. You'll be fine with franchise pizza, mom & pop pizza, and/or gourmet pizza.

I've sold homes all over the area, and never found people disappointed in Louisville as a whole.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:56 PM

22 posts, read 37,982 times
Don't move there.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Interesting post.

My first impulse is the Highlands. Yet, I can't rule out Springhurst/Summit/Norton Commons either.

Your comment about liberal politics and people being irritated by what must be an expressive nature is a bit frustrating. I am likely as conservative as you are liberal, but that is why America is great. I have never heard of a Louisville area neighborhood where there is a bitterness towards either minority. Liberal neighborhoods tolerate conservative and vice-versa.

Your dyslexic child will have many venues for learning. The Jefferson County Public School system is as good as it gets for special learning programs.

Real pizza is all over Louisville. You'll be fine with franchise pizza, mom & pop pizza, and/or gourmet pizza.

I've sold homes all over the area, and never found people disappointed in Louisville as a whole.
Thanks for the info I'll check out those areas! Good to know all opinions are accepted...not so much where I am now.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:24 AM

6,972 posts, read 15,095,019 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info I'll check out those areas! Good to know all opinions are accepted...not so much where I am now.
Most definitley Highlands. Your kids will want to swim at Lakeside swim club. I would find a local realtor who specializes in the Highlands, meet local Highlands families, and try to find a house as close to Lakeside as possible. I would likely go with one of the Catholic schools in that area, either St Agnes or St Rapheal. They are Catholic in name only, and although there are religion classes, as many as half of the children are non catholic or non practicing baptised catholics. Louisville has some decent public schools but these parochial schools are national blue ribbon schools of excellence and some of the best in the country. Their graduates grow up to be doctors, lawyers, and major business professionals.

I'd also look at the Frankfort Ave corridor of Crescent Hill and Clifton. Should you prefer newer things, the only other area that fits your bill is Norton Commons, but it gets very conservative out that way.

I honestly would not look anywhere else than the areas I mentioned for all that you desire.

Old 10-16-2010, 12:39 PM

12 posts, read 22,925 times
Quote:
Hi all,

-How much you are willing to spend on housing: $400-$500K of course less is always better - You should be able to get a house for your range or much less depending on where your choose to live in the Highlands.

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate: very short - You won't be far from downtown at all, and depending on where in the Highlands you live you could be just minutes.

-If you have kids: public or private.... don't know what is available for my different learner - Lots of good schools.

What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for:walkable, family friendly, lots of places to play and ride bikes plus coffee, wine and good food for Mom and Dad, tolerant of my liberal politics or at least not irritated by it, neighborly..people outside when weather permits..strong sense of community is very important - In my opinion, the Highlands is the most walkable neighborhood. We've had clients move there just for the atmosphere, and to raise their kids there. Lots of people out and about, lots of restaurants of just about every type, coffee shops, wine, liberal people, very strong sense of community, etc. I can't think of a better neighborhood for everything you mentioned.

Community amenities important to you: swim club (kids are competitive swimmers), community theater - As mentioned by another poster, the Lakeside Swim Club is a huge deal.

Pie or cake?: Pizza pie (I have to have it nearby) - Much of the great pizza in this city is located in or near the Highlands.

Thanks in advance!
My wife and I clean private homes throughout the Kentuckiana area. In so doing, we end up in a wide variety of neighborhoods throughout, and get to experience and see what people's lives are like in many of those areas. We have a number of clients in the Highlands, and they absolutely love it there. I truly think you would be very happy and comfortable in that area of town, with what you've mentioned as the parameters that you're looking within. That's not to say that there aren't other neighborhoods that might fit somewhat, or that there aren't lots of great areas of town, but I just can't think of anything that comes close to the Highlands in matching your needs.

I hope this helps, (in addition to the other fine posts before mine)
Mike

Old 10-16-2010, 12:48 PM

Thank you all very much! I am very excited about the possibility of Louisville...wasn't so sure before (and I am sure my husband thanks you as well!). I'll keep you posted!

Old 10-16-2010, 05:45 PM

4,824 posts, read 13,508,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Most definitley Highlands. Your kids will want to swim at Lakeside swim club. I would find a local realtor who specializes in the Highlands, meet local Highlands families, and try to find a house as close to Lakeside as possible. I would likely go with one of the Catholic schools in that area, either St Agnes or St Rapheal. They are Catholic in name only, and although there are religion classes, as many as half of the children are non catholic or non practicing baptised catholics. Louisville has some decent public schools but these parochial schools are national blue ribbon schools of excellence and some of the best in the country. Their graduates grow up to be doctors, lawyers, and major business professionals.

I'd also look at the Frankfort Ave corridor of Crescent Hill and Clifton. Should you prefer newer things, the only other area that fits your bill is Norton Commons, but it gets very conservative out that way.

I honestly would not look anywhere else than the areas I mentioned for all that you desire.
STX, good advice, except for the schools. There is a special need in there and JCPS while terrible at so much is great at special programs.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:55 AM

6,972 posts, read 15,095,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
STX, good advice, except for the schools. There is a special need in there and JCPS while terrible at so much is great at special programs.
I do agree with that, Tom. The parochial schools can be good at that, too, and are perheps the top schools in the area.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:17 PM

22 posts, read 37,982 times
What your wants / needs are describing to me is the Highlands. The DePaul school is in the Highlands. I think dyslexia is their major focus. I wouldn't consider parochial schools at all, and public schools "try" their best.......just something to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area