U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 10-19-2010, 01:22 PM
1 posts, read 9,200 times
Reputation: 11


Recently my wife and I found out that our house has foundation failure. Everything I read about this is that I should get a report from a structural engineer detailing what they think should be done to "shore" up the house. The engineer should be independent of any foundation repair companies. Does anybody have any suggestions on where I could find somebody like this. Any suggestions would be great. Also if anybody has had work done by foundation companies and were happy with them could you post that also. Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 04:18 PM
3 posts, read 37,277 times
Reputation: 17
I agree witht he advice that you were given, it is always best to consult a professioanl engineer before starting any structural repair project. If you go to www.FoundationEngineersNetwork.com you should be able to find one in near your area.

If you do not find one you can also visit your States Board of Professioanl Engineers for a listing of registered professioanls.

For more information about foundation repairs and foundation repair companies visit www.MyFoundationRepairs.com
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2010, 05:11 PM
Location: U.S.
5,090 posts, read 5,987,096 times
Reputation: 2724
Thumbs up ask?

Can you ask the company or person that confirmed that you have a unsound foundation for a few references. Did you get a licensed professional to tell you that your foundation is no longer sound? And then did they mention a few, reputable companies that could be sought after for estimates? You shouldn't have to cold-call for foundation estimates unless you don't know the condition yet on your foundation.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2010, 10:13 PM
4 posts, read 59,801 times
Reputation: 16
Moderator cut: not allowed without a structural engineer inspection and certification that this slab foundation has been repaired and repaired correctley. Your foundation contractor should make the pier location recomedation to the engineer, The engineer either accepts or rejects pier locations. The reason being is it is your warranty being placed on the repairs not the engineers The warranty should contain these words UNCONDITIONAL TRANSFEABLE WARRANTY, the little word unconditional will be hard to find from a shyster contractor.Moderator cut: not allowed never ever use a pressed piling for any thimg in my opikion pressed piles do not work and have documentaion to prove it. If you drill to penetrameter readings of three you have a 35000 psi and use five sack concrete to fill drilled pier shafts along with #4 rebar. If you use this system you will never have a foundation failure again. Make sure there is no water contamination or ponding in top of piers. Sub surface drains sholud be used in very low and highly water contaminated areas. Remember water is bad moisture is good. Also remember cheap winds up expensive. Always and always again ask for references "not from the contractor as he has allot of brotherin laws. Ask your neighbors and engineers for recomendations of contractors they recommend, A drilled bellbottom pier using 5 sack concrete should run about $400 per pier as long as it is a drillled pier it is worth it and you will see where your money went and you should never have to call them back. Even a drilled pier must be drilled to proper depth to stabilize the foundation.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 02-04-2011 at 04:22 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2010, 10:21 AM
Location: a warmer place
1,748 posts, read 5,185,157 times
Reputation: 767
We used Georgia Engineering Associates 770-232-7580

They will make recommendations of contractors they have used before but are not affiliated with upon request. We used them for a similar issue. Good luck.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:39 AM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top