U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2010, 05:27 PM

25,275 posts, read 36,355,324 times

Advertisements

MTV airs special on Louisville high school - WAVE 3 News - Louisville, Kentucky

While channel surfing, I found this show called Baby High about a HS for teen moms in Louisville. (I know this is a rerun)

Okay Louisville, I know we need some publicity if we want to compete with other Southeastern cities but this is not the way we should get it.

My alma mater HS T.C. Williams had a baby daycare for teen moms. It was terrible publicity for our high school which is not good when you are already considered the worst public school system in Northern Virginia. Thinking of it, why didn't Baby High film there?

My point: Louisville needs more POSITIVE publicity. Things like this will only feed stereotypes about Louisville and Kentucky for that matter.

BTW: I'm not a fan of this idea of teen mom HS at taxpayer expense.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 08:27 AM

844 posts, read 1,906,882 times
I wouldn't worry about it reflecting negatively on this city in particular - it is a nationwide issue thanks to liberal "safe sex" advocates. When you provide kids with the know-how, tools and permission to participate in baby making, then babies are going to be made. Logic. It's just more proof that teaching "safe sex" doesn't work.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:20 PM

163 posts, read 396,878 times
Actually, until recently, teen pregnancy rates in the US had been steadily declining since 1990. According to the most recent data available, this trend showed a slight reversal in 2006, when rates actually increased by 3%. Although researchers could not pin point the cause of this uptick, several sources pointed out that this change coincided with the implementation of the Bush administration's conservative policies emphasizing abstinence-only sex education. It is also noteworthy that California, Hawaii and New Hampshire, 3 states which tend to have more liberal policies, have been the most successful in decreasing rates of teen pregnancy.

Personally, I think the high schools operating daycares are a positive thing, especially when the statistics concerning teen moms are considered. As Luscombe reports, "Two-thirds of single moms are poor. Fewer than half of them finish high school. And only a tiny fraction (2%) of girls who are mothers before their 18th birthday will finish college before their 30th." Providing support to these young mothers has the potential to give them the opportunity to create a better life for themselves and their infants. However, this practice is much too reactionary for my tastes. I would prefer to see a more proactive stance taken to decrease the teen pregnancies before they occur, rather than simply providing support afterwards.

Report: Teen Pregnancy, Abortion Rates Rise in New Trend - TIME

Rise in teenage pregnancy rate spurs new debate on arresting it - washingtonpost.com

Teen pregnancy rate rises. Are abstinence-only programs to blame? | Booster Shots | Los Angeles Times

Old 10-30-2010, 07:19 AM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 1,056,032 times
I'm not sure this is a great publicity thing either. I mean, who would think to themselves, "Hey! Let's move to Louisville--we have a daughter, so if she gets knocked up, at least there is a school with a daycare!" What kind of selling point is that? Personally if I was a parent looking to relocate, I'd look at something like that and think, If teen pregnancy has gotten so bad in that city that they've got a high school with a built in day care, what kind of influences are there for my kid? No, I think I might look elsewhere....

I mean, I don't have kids, but that was the first thing that came to my mind as a NON-parent.

In regard to the actual high school with a daycare itself, I think this one is a tricky one.

On one hand I think the high schools offering daycare services is good because hopefully it will keep these kids in school, so that they graduate, and then hopefully some will go on to get further education. 2% of teen mothers completing college by age 30 is pretty low. And sad. So if by chance they do fall pregnant, by having the daycare in place, they have one less reason to drop out of school. (Hard to use the excuse, 'nobody to watch my baby' if there is daycare available at the high school.

On the other hand, I would hate for the girls to use that as a fall back to not taking the appropriate precautions, because, 'oh well, if I get pregnant, at least my school has a daycare'.

hmm...looking at that in type, it seems kind of flimsy argument doesn't it? as if a teen girl is really thinking about that when she's in the throws of teen passion! hahaha......... .

Although abstinence would be preferred, it is not practical to expect them to bow to the suggestion; they're going to do it come hell or high water, so I'm all for promoting safe sex. I don't why, in this day and age, unplanned pregnancies are even still a problem. There is an arsenal of prophelatics available at pretty much every grocery store, supermarket, and pharmacy Iv'e been to.
Also Planned Parenthood is still around for prescription methods.

Gonna go off on a bit of an OT ramble here:

I think part of the problem is that sex ed is too........vague.
Because consider this--
(Regarding pregnancy, not STD's...whole other rant)
Sex ed classes go through the basic parts involved, the mechanics involved, and the various methods to not get pregnant, right? All good, right? Yet we still have unplanned pregnancies happening every minute of every day in the most educated and sophisticated of societies, right?
BUT!!
They do not go into how to get pregnant.
Now before you freak out shout, "But we don't want them to GET pregnant, we want to keep them from GETTING pregnant, you fool!", let me just say this--when I was trying to get pregnant, I kept reverting back to my own vague sex ed classes for reference.........but nothing was happening. From when to, ah, do it, and what signs to look for to determine if I was actually, you know, fertile......no real idea. I didn't learn any of that stuff in sex ed. Just what part went where, and how to apply preventative measures.

It took some serious research and embarassing Q&A sessions.

Turns out......we were doing everything all wrong! we were trying when there was no need, and not trying when there was. If other girls are doing the same thing, having sex at the wrong times thinking they're "safe" when they're actually not, because they're virtually uneducated, then it's no wonder there are STILL unplanned pregnancies.

Agh. Maybe I'm just grasping at straws, but it makes sense to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
View detailed profiles of: