U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2010, 10:51 PM

3 posts, read 22,218 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to Louisville this coming summer. We have child who will be entering 3rd grade. From what I have been reading on this forum (and others), the public schools are a complete mess with the lottery system etc. So, it seems that private schools may be the most viable option for those who do not want to take a gamble with their child's education and do not want to move to outlying counties. We don't mind a religious affiliation, but prefer that academics be the central focus of the school. In the case of schools with religious affiliations, we are Protestant, so we are not really interested in a Catholic school. Could anyone please give some recommendations as to what schools would be best?
Thanks so much!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 05:43 AM

4,824 posts, read 13,315,665 times
Gee, you will have some issues to deal with. I am sad to report that it seems to me, without supporting data, that with all the parochial schools, you will either have Catholic liberal or protestant conservative attitudes. Almost a day verses night difference exists in my opinion. So that leaves you with a few very expensive private schools such as Collegiate, Walden, or Kentucky Country Day.

From a purely economic view, the quality of education that is offered by Oldham County public schools makes the commute a bit more tolerable.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:34 AM

39 posts, read 115,331 times
I'd say go ahead and enroll your child in public, just in case they get into one of the great public elementary schools, while you're investigating private options. JCPS are not nearly as bad as you'd think by reading forums. I know lots of parents who could afford to send their kids to private, but choose JCPS instead. Don't dismiss it entirely.
In the meantime, your budget will play a large part in private options. Are you comfortable with 12-15k a yr? That will open up Collegiate, KCD, Walden, and St Francis. All good to excellent larger secular schools. The overall school culture is something you'll find out pretty quickly during tours and open houses. You'll find one with which you're comfortable. If you're willing to investigate religious schools, I'd have to recommend a vist to Highlands Latin. It is a conservative Christian school, but academics really are the focus and they have the highest test results, by far, of any school at any price in the area.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:33 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,099,127 times
Does anyone know if there are any IB schools in Louisville?

Old 10-31-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Gee, you will have some issues to deal with. I am sad to report that it seems to me, without supporting data, that with all the parochial schools, you will either have Catholic liberal or protestant conservative attitudes. Almost a day verses night difference exists in my opinion. So that leaves you with a few very expensive private schools such as Collegiate, Walden, or Kentucky Country Day.

From a purely economic view, the quality of education that is offered by Oldham County public schools makes the commute a bit more tolerable.
Thanks for your feedback! I would opt for protestant conservative schools out of the two categories- could you recommend any of those? We will also investigate the expensive private schools you mentioned....it may be worth it considering the options.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngC View Post
I'd say go ahead and enroll your child in public, just in case they get into one of the great public elementary schools, while you're investigating private options. JCPS are not nearly as bad as you'd think by reading forums. I know lots of parents who could afford to send their kids to private, but choose JCPS instead. Don't dismiss it entirely.
In the meantime, your budget will play a large part in private options. Are you comfortable with 12-15k a yr? That will open up Collegiate, KCD, Walden, and St Francis. All good to excellent larger secular schools. The overall school culture is something you'll find out pretty quickly during tours and open houses. You'll find one with which you're comfortable. If you're willing to investigate religious schools, I'd have to recommend a vist to Highlands Latin. It is a conservative Christian school, but academics really are the focus and they have the highest test results, by far, of any school at any price in the area.
Thank you for the info. We will be looking into those schools you mentioned. Of course, it is always great to save money, but not at the expense of educational quality. I think you have a good idea about enrolling in the public lottery, just in case we were selected for one of the good schools. Which ones are the good schools, anyway?

Old 11-04-2010, 08:14 AM

39 posts, read 115,331 times
Get the latest issue of Louisville Magazine. It has a full listing with test scores, demographics, disciplinary actions, etc of all area public schools. It also list all the private schools with cost and test scores. As far as JCPS, I think the highest performers were Greathouse Shryock and Audubon Traditional, Norton, Lowe, and Dunn.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:20 PM

87 posts, read 196,675 times
Default St Francis School of Goshen

As a 40 year middle school teaching veteran, I have spent some time subbing at this progessively intellectual school in Goshen, just north of Louisville. It is one of the finest academic and intellectual institutions I have experienced in this country. The teachers and administrators truly care about the "whole" child and are not simply interested in producing excellent test takers. Th St. Francis School should be cherished by anyone in the Louisville area.

Old 11-22-2010, 02:15 PM

4,521 posts, read 5,608,155 times
Lightbulb Tuition correction

Not all nondenominational schools are $12-$15k a year, especially for elementary school. For example, the Highlands Latin School is around $4k a year for elementary levels.

See my link below for some average tuition prices for private schools in Louisivlle (scroll down a ways) -

SCHOOLS. . .definitely not appealing system for people moving to the area

Old 11-22-2010, 04:14 PM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 1,052,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngC View Post
I was going to say KCD and St Francis were excellent options, if you have the financial means. I don't know about any others, as I always attended Catholic private schools myself. From experience, my vote would be for a non-religious or non-denominational institution, but that's just me. My sister is looking at enrolling my nephew into Christian Academy over any of the parochial schools available for the same reasons (that I won't go into here, as non-relevant).

Are there any "traditional" school around anymore? Like Carter? I grew up with 2 brothers who went to Carter, but it could be now defunct for all I know.....

Also there are some excellent schools in the public sector but I gather it's a bit of a lottery-type system now--which is just STUPID, IMO, but I digress.

Good luck with your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area