U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 07:10 PM

4,824 posts, read 13,312,133 times

Advertisements

6 more JCPS schools named among Kentucky’s lowest performing | courier-journal.com | The Courier-Journal

Nuff said
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 07:52 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,947,373 times
So what!

Old 11-08-2010, 07:54 PM

12 posts, read 22,631 times
Err, I'm not sure, since I went to JCPS and can't comprehend the question, lol. That's okay though, as you used the word "nuff".

My mom took my sister out of JCPS and chose to teach her at home. My sister was headed to middle school with the highest grades in her class, yet she could not do basic math nor could she spell to save her life. My mom questioned her teachers, one who pointed to the miracle of calculators and how she herself had to use them for math, and another who admitted that she herself had to revert to using a dictionary to spell words. So, why should the kids learn anything? Apparently it will qualify some to teach someday. Yikes!

Last edited by evercleancleaningservices; 11-08-2010 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: .

Old 11-08-2010, 10:08 PM

723 posts, read 1,528,236 times
Sorry, but JCPS is a joke. Sure, some will come back and mention how great Male and Manual are. But how many Jefferson county kids actually attend either school? Anyways, the bad publicity continues for Sheldon Berman, who danced around a Supreme court ruling that should have done away with the 1970's busing plan. Instead they base it on income, knowing the disparity between the west end and eastern Jefferson county. That said, God forbid anyone point this out and be branded a racist. Finally, remember the screwed up bus assignments back in August? Classic argument for neighborhood schools here. Apparently some grade school kids who were bused cross county were left on a bus for hours. Parents frantic, understandably so. What's Berman's response? Fire the school principals. Perhaps he should have resigned himself. Considering he had the chance to reform JCPS, instead he opts to keep things status quo-broken.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:13 PM

723 posts, read 1,528,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
So what!
Well, for one, if I (or anyone else) decides to move to Louisville, they need to take a look at how pathetic JCPS is. Basically the options are: pay an arm and a leg for parochial schools, or move to Oldham County. Who in their right mind wants to ship their kid to Portland or the west end? If you had children, doubt you would. Although most libs like to talk the talk.
Second, this is just more fuel for the fire, forced school integration is just another liberal pipe dream.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:44 PM

163 posts, read 395,746 times
Ok, I have a question about this; maybe someone here knows the answer.

How is the JCPS district funded? I know that in many places a majority of school funding comes directly from the local tax base, leading to inequalities in the quality of schools (theoretically, the rich areas generate more tax income, therefore more funding for schools. leading to higher quality education and the opposite occurs in the poor areas). But I thought those differences would only exist between different school districts.

Do different schools in the JCPS district receive different levels of funding based on the income of the surrounding areas?

Is this part of the reason why Oldham County schools are better than Jefferson County?

Should Jefferson County be worried that the higher incomes are migrating to Oldham County, further reducing the JCPS tax base for funding?

Old 11-09-2010, 05:32 AM

4,824 posts, read 13,312,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notthatgirl View Post
Ok, I have a question about this; maybe someone here knows the answer.

How is the JCPS district funded? I know that in many places a majority of school funding comes directly from the local tax base, leading to inequalities in the quality of schools (theoretically, the rich areas generate more tax income, therefore more funding for schools. leading to higher quality education and the opposite occurs in the poor areas). But I thought those differences would only exist between different school districts.

Do different schools in the JCPS district receive different levels of funding based on the income of the surrounding areas?

Is this part of the reason why Oldham County schools are better than Jefferson County?

Should Jefferson County be worried that the higher incomes are migrating to Oldham County, further reducing the JCPS tax base for funding?
I can answer the last two questions. Oldham County schools are better due to parental involvement. Parents generally take a solid interest in their childs education. Now everything being equal, Oldham County is slipping as we see more and more of the social issues that affect JCPS. From druggy parents to unwed parents, their children simply don't get the same opportunities children of the past 20 years have had in Oldham County.

No, JCPS shouldn't worry about higher incomes migrating to OC. During the time of child rearing, parents typically don't have the income levels that older people have, so we don't have the "Obama Rich" in the numbers necessary to concern income losses in JC. As a matter of fact, many empty nesters are looking to move away from OC due to extreme tax hikes and/or policies.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:53 PM

4,521 posts, read 5,604,907 times
Lightbulb Who funds JCPS

The majority of JCPS funding comes from the workers in Louisville. For those that live in Jefferson county, 1.5% of the 'occupational tax' goes directly to JCPS. The total occupational tax is 2.5% of one's salary (for those that live in Jefferson county). For those Louisville workers that reside in neighboring counties, they only pay 1% occupational tax.

See #3 on this webpage: FAQ - Help/Resources - LouisvilleKy.gov

Now JCPS is also funded by the state and receives federal funding. If the schools continue their downward spiral, then the federal funding increases.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:26 PM

4,521 posts, read 5,604,907 times
Lightbulb The real graduation rates....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
So what!
Iroquois High School has nearly a 50% graduation rate. 50%!!!!!

At A Glance: Lowest Performing JCPS Schools

How can *ANYONE* be anyone expect to keep their job with a school that has just about a 50% graduation rate. Absolutely amazing.

And the real joke of the criteria is the SAME school that is on the list CANNOT be on the list again for 3 years. So Seneca High School, the 'winner' from 2009, DROPPED another -8.1% in test scores from last year and who knows how much lower in graduation rate but they get to fly under the radar for 3 years. The whole GRADING system from the state and the whole EXCUSES provided by JCPS are both a complete joke. I like option #4 in the article, CLOSE the school down - and start over with Charter schools.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:16 PM

17 posts, read 46,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
I like option #4 in the article, CLOSE the school down - and start over with Charter schools.
Yes! My fiancee and I are teachers planning on moving to Louisville from Indianapolis. We've both worked in charter schools our entire careers and love the impact they've had on the Indianapolis community. I don't quite understand why Louisville isn't on board with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
View detailed profiles of: