U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 10:01 AM

101 posts, read 320,683 times

Advertisements

What grocery chains are most prevalent in the Louisville area?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 02:10 PM

157 posts, read 446,418 times
KROGER! That's pretty much it.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:01 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,081,969 times
Yeah, I've been thinking about this lately...for a city of it's size, Louisville absolutely sucks in grocery store selection in terms of different stores. Basically, your standard choices are:

1. Wal-Mart
2. Meijer
3. Kroger

...annnnnd that's it. Not even a Super Target. Louisville probably gets penalized for being so close to Cincinnati where Kroger is based. Now there are organic and specialty stores... Whole Foods, Rainbow Blossom, and Paul's, but they are more expensive, of course. Then there is your Aldi and Save-a-Lot if you feel like being adventurously cheap.

Compare this with Omaha, where I just moved from, which has a metro population of roughly 868,000 (compared to 1,266,000 for Louisville):

1. Super Target
2. Walmart
3. Baker's (Kroger subsidiary)
4. No Frills
5. Fareway
6. Bag N Save
7. HyVee

...one starts to wonder wtf is wrong with Louisville in this area. (Not to mention, Omaha is about to open a Trader Joe's...)

With all of that said, I actually do like Meijer.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:02 PM

2,391 posts, read 4,514,410 times
Yeah, there isn't a lot of groceries to choose from, but we may not be a large city like where your from in Omaha. We use to have Winn-Dixie here for many of years (like since the 1960's), but they closed within the past 7 years. They were similar to Kroger's and were around before Kroger's came here, from what I recall.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:09 PM

688 posts, read 2,880,952 times
There are also ValuMarkets (a local chain). Plus Pic-Pacs and a Fresh Market.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:20 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,529,615 times
Yeah, Kroger rules this area, no doubt. Having said that, they do a very good job, imo.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:19 PM

6,972 posts, read 15,092,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
Yeah, there isn't a lot of groceries to choose from, but we may not be a large city like where your from in Omaha. We use to have Winn-Dixie here for many of years (like since the 1960's), but they closed within the past 7 years. They were similar to Kroger's and were around before Kroger's came here, from what I recall.
Huh? Louisville is substantially larger and more urban than Omaha. He even posted the population stats. It is a real enigma to me how local Louisvillians don't realize how big Louisville truly is.

To the new Omaha poster, you are largely right but clearly don't know the area that well yet. I lived in Omaha for abit and commuted there often from Chicago for business. In a way, it eminds me of a smaller Louisville. It has a good music scene, but is not quite as hip and progressive as Louisville, and the restauarnt scene, although great, is a bit behind Louisville (relatively speaking).

I would put Louisville based Valu-Market against any of the Omaha places you mentioned. Each Valu-Market location has a different vibe. If you would like to explore a new urban area, try the Valu-Market in Beechmont, and have Vietnamese food at nearby Vietnam Kitchen or Annie Cafe, followed by a cup of Sunergo's coffee in "downtown" Beechmont. Also as mentioned, you left out Pic-Pac and also several Fresh Market locations now.

Also, just off the top of my head, you have left out Doll's, Burger's Market, and the Theater Square Marketplace and Deli. Bluefin Seafood, and also Creation Gardens are pretty good. Creation Gardens breaks ground on a new store in NuLu soon that I am guessing you will like.

Creation Gardens | News

Also, the planned permanant open air farmer's market on Jefferson Street will likely help out the scene. That said, there are still tons of great farmer's markets.

Louisville Green Guide (http://louisvillegreenguide.org/directory/farmers.html - broken link)
There are even several in IN, which is the area lacking the most in good groceries. Downtown New Albany does have a decent Farmer's Market, and also a growing foodie scene.

Louisville is easily a top 20 foodie city. Learn more at the free forum at Commentary | LouisvilleHotBytes.com
The forumers on there also complain somewhat about local groceries, so you all do have a point. I think Trader Joe's is overrated, but I would like to see something like Cincinnati's Jungle Jims, where I know tons of hotbytes forumers make weekend pilgramages.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:39 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,081,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
To the new Omaha poster, you are largely right but clearly don't know the area that well yet. I lived in Omaha for abit and commuted there often from Chicago for business. In a way, it eminds me of a smaller Louisville. It has a good music scene, but is not quite as hip and progressive as Louisville, and the restauarnt scene, although great, is a bit behind Louisville (relatively speaking).
They are very similar, though Omaha makes more money per person, Louisville feels like they have more amenities.

Quote:
I would put Louisville based Valu-Market against any of the Omaha places you mentioned. Each Valu-Market location has a different vibe. If you would like to explore a new urban area, try the Valu-Market in Beechmont, and have Vietnamese food at nearby Vietnam Kitchen or Annie Cafe, followed by a cup of Sunergo's coffee in "downtown" Beechmont. Also as mentioned, you left out Pic-Pac and also several Fresh Market locations now.
I usually research grocery stores quite in depth before I move somewhere, so the fact that VM slipped under the radar is a bit of a surprise to me. I'm a HUGE foodie and love exploring different stores. The one at Beechmont sounds awesome... I love Vietnamese food and miss it since living in Tucson.. I hope they have Coffee and Subs! I forgot about Fresh Market, but never heard of Pic-Pac. One problem is that I live in New Albany, and the parts of Louisville I've been too are the Hurstbourne/Springhurst area, Hurstbourne/Taylorsville, Bardstown Rd (beyond 264), Frankfort Ave, and all of Indiana. VM is everywhere but those places, it seems.

Quote:
Also, just off the top of my head, you have left out Doll's, Burger's Market, and the Theater Square Marketplace and Deli. Bluefin Seafood, and also Creation Gardens are pretty good. Creation Gardens breaks ground on a new store in NuLu soon that I am guessing you will like.
I don't really count those as "grocery stores" but moreso small markets to almost upscale convenience-type stores. I work right next to TSM, and it really isn't that big of a deal to me.

Quote:
Also, the planned permanant open air farmer's market on Jefferson Street will likely help out the scene. That said, there are still tons of great farmer's markets.

Louisville Green Guide (http://louisvillegreenguide.org/directory/farmers.html - broken link)
There are even several in IN, which is the area lacking the most in good groceries. Downtown New Albany does have a decent Farmer's Market, and also a growing foodie scene.
I've seen the locations for some of these farmer's markets, but haven't been to them yet. The NA one is really close to me. FMs in general are fantastic.

Quote:
Louisville is easily a top 20 foodie city. Learn more at the free forum at Commentary | LouisvilleHotBytes.com
The forumers on there also complain somewhat about local groceries, so you all do have a point. I think Trader Joe's is overrated, but I would like to see something like Cincinnati's Jungle Jims, where I know tons of hotbytes forumers make weekend pilgramages.
From what I have seen, I would agree with that...mostly in the area of restaurants. There is a fantastic choice of them.

A sidenote: Kroger is very hit or miss ones. There are amazing ones (by UofL...I was surprised at the amazing quality of the produce), okay ones (State St New Albany), and ick ones (Old Louisville 2nd St).

Old 11-12-2010, 05:14 PM

157 posts, read 446,418 times
A sidenote: Kroger is very hit or miss ones. There are amazing ones (by UofL...I was surprised at the amazing quality of the produce), okay ones (State St New Albany), and ick ones (Old Louisville 2nd St).[/quote]

Good point on that one. Some Krogers are wonderful and seem to have everything but there are some that are "ick." There's often a disparity of selection and friendliness of the staff. I had spent most of my Louisville experience going to the 2nd Street Kroger because it's in my neighborhood--I was sooo surprised to see the Hikes Point Kroger for the first time last year. Now I go there all the time--well, there and occasionally the one by Poplar Level and Eastern Parkway.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:17 PM

77 posts, read 275,379 times
It doesn't matter what Louisville does or doesn't have. It just matters that it doesn't have a Wegmans. Best grocery store in the nation, if not world hands down. They pioneered almost everything we know and expect from grocery stores today! http://www.wegmans.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area