U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2010, 05:52 PM

22 posts, read 67,256 times

Advertisements

Hi, I've got two related questions here and would love some help.

I'm an army officer with a family and I'm considering listing Ft. Knox as one of my top choices for my next duty station. I'm married and have a toddler and a baby on the way. We would like to live in or near a nice city, and we have family close by, so Knox seems like it may be a great spot for us. We would need to rent a 4 bedroom house in a nicer neighborhood and it seems like most available Louisville rentals fitting this bill are to be found in the NE part of the city (unfortunately, the furthest end from Ft. Knox). Google maps tells me it would be at least an hour drive from NE Louisville to Knox but I'm wondering if there is anyone out there who has made this drive on a regular basis and may be able to give me a more realistic idea of the commute time. Longer? Shorter? Does time at the gate factor in heavily?

Alternatively, if the commute from Knoxville is too long, we're looking at Elizabethtown. However, my online searches are pulling up NOTHING in the 4 bedroom dept. Can this be so? Anyone out there know anything about the E-town rental market for larger houses? Will I ultimately be stuck with a long commute in order to live in a nice 4 bedroom house around Ft. Knox?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 06:59 PM

4,824 posts, read 13,351,393 times
You are 1 hour minimum from I-265 @ KY 146 to Brandenburg Gate. I have a very good friend who owns a car dealership at I-71 x 17 and another along the strip just north of the Brandenburg gate. He says his minimum time is 1:15.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:34 AM

470 posts, read 976,017 times
Try Doe Valley. I lived there when I was stationed at Ft. Knox as did most officers. It's a great lakeside communityt that is gated. It is also only 15 minutes away from Knox.

Home

Old 11-14-2010, 07:23 AM

25,278 posts, read 36,379,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCLARK3 View Post
Hi, I've got two related questions here and would love some help.

I'm an army officer with a family and I'm considering listing Ft. Knox as one of my top choices for my next duty station. I'm married and have a toddler and a baby on the way. We would like to live in or near a nice city, and we have family close by, so Knox seems like it may be a great spot for us. We would need to rent a 4 bedroom house in a nicer neighborhood and it seems like most available Louisville rentals fitting this bill are to be found in the NE part of the city (unfortunately, the furthest end from Ft. Knox). Google maps tells me it would be at least an hour drive from NE Louisville to Knox but I'm wondering if there is anyone out there who has made this drive on a regular basis and may be able to give me a more realistic idea of the commute time. Longer? Shorter? Does time at the gate factor in heavily?

Alternatively, if the commute from Knoxville is too long, we're looking at Elizabethtown. However, my online searches are pulling up NOTHING in the 4 bedroom dept. Can this be so? Anyone out there know anything about the E-town rental market for larger houses? Will I ultimately be stuck with a long commute in order to live in a nice 4 bedroom house around Ft. Knox?

Thanks!
Tomocox is pretty accurate on the commute time from NE Louisville to Ft. Knox. If you at least want to save on gas, I'm sure you can find van and car pools. The rental market in E-town and the rest Hardin County is pretty tight for any type of house. You may want to try Bardstown, LaRue and Meade Counties for other options.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:37 PM

1 posts, read 3,617 times
Louisville is a neat little big city, but I wouldn't want the commute to Knox. Some people don't care, but I much prefer face time with the family and not my fellow commuters.

The rental market here is *tight* for now, and it's a seller's market as well. We got here at a crazy time when everyone else in the world got here, too. We've rented on more than one occasion and didn't want to get locked into a lease in case housing opened up, nor did we want to buy a house not knowing enough about the area. We did our wait in a camper at the Elizabethtown Campgrounds; wonderful people - highly recommend them if you decide to try and out-wait Housing.

There is a big component of Knox that is relocating down to Benning, so *hopefully* this nutty market will even out by the time you're ready to move out here. And remember to check with your new church to see if they have any leads on even a reliable rental company to work with.

It's a beautiful, gorgeous place with a ton of history, chock full of really good people, and so much to do here! If you did something every weekend of a three year assignment, you still wouldn't see it all. We love it.

One last thought about your commuting question: if you are Tri-Care prime, I don't even want to imagine the special h*ll that life would be, going for OB/well baby appts to Knox or for those on-the-spot appts when the kids were fine yesterday but wake up today with an ear infection and there's an opening in 30 minutes. Especially with the Army's op tempo, quality of life issues are everything.

Good luck with your decision! It's a great place if you get it.

ps - The best haircuts in the Eastern Time Zone are at Lott's Barbershop in Radcliff. Seriously.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:28 PM

15 posts, read 71,683 times
Hello, are you still looking to rent in Ft. Knox or Radcliff area?
I have rental properties in Elizabethtown and Radcliff.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area