Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 08:37 PM

22 posts, read 40,582 times

Advertisements

In a kind of related message.......what do people in Louisville do over the winter. It seems very long to me and not much to do except stay inside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 11:27 AM

522 posts, read 1,610,115 times
Well I don't know where you live now and how old you are - both are factors. I grew up in STL and I can tell you that while I did not like winter, nothing kept me from doing things. I remember pouring buckets of boiling water on the lock to my car which had frozen up just so I could get in and go out! It seems there is never as much to do no matter where you live in the winter as opposed to the summer - more outdoor stuff like free concerts, festivals etc. But Louisville is a big city and you can always find something to do IF you want to brave the elements. After more than 20 years of living in moderate to tropical climates I don't plan on leaving the house except when I HAVE to. I can no longer tolerate the cold temps and also am no longer used to driving in it. There is a free newspaper here called LEO Weekly that you can get online for an idea on activities here.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:17 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,047,178 times
We moved from So. California 2 years ago - we miss being able to go for walks on days like today - very cold and snowing. If it is 40 or above, we walk 4 to 5 miles a day up and down the hills of our subdivision. But, nothing short of an ice storm or super slick roads (and that doesn't happen very often) keeps us from going out. We go out to dinner with friends, we throw dinner parties, we go shopping, to the show, to a musical, to church, visit friends, etc. We keep our cars in their garages and so we never have to dig out our cars. We are retired and don't work so we have the whole day to figure out how to have fun.

We have front wheel drive on the cars and they go up the driveway just fine. My husband thinks that shoveling snow is the greatest exercise (go figure) but he only got to do it twice last winter. We both have down coats, gloves, scarves, layers of clothing, warm socks, good shoes - and we put everything on and away we go. We do miss being able to go kayaking, hiking, gardening (not really :-) ), just being outside but life goes on and we still manage to have fun and we work out in our gym in the basement and go to the mall to walk around. Visit New England in the winter and you will see that Kentucky has mild winters in comparison.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:37 PM

New England would be an extreme............kinda like Mexico City in August as compared to Louisville (although the temps are often close.) The winters in Louisville are NOT MILD by any stretch of the imagination. Tomorrow, we will be 50 warmer than you, although we are never 50, or 20, or 15 degrees warmer in the summer.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:10 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,047,178 times
A few weeks ago it was 75 here while they were having a snow storm in Salt Lake City. As I stated, last winter my husband shoveled our driveway a total of two times. Today it was very cold but the snow is minimal and the roads completely clear and safe. It was sunny and the sky was blue - beautiful. We went shopping, out to lunch, visited some friends and rearranged the furniture on our screened in porch. During the cold winter we continue on with our lives except we spend less time outside - we run errands, go to plays and musicals and movies, shop, read books, cook, travel - just like we do any other time of the year except we wear more clothing and drive more carefully.

So you say Mojolico that it is 50 today in your neck of the woods. Well, when it is 50 here, I wear a light jacket. Today I wore a winter coat. So what is your point exactly? That life can't be as good here as it is where you are because it is colder? That where you live is better? That we Kentuckians all sit around and twiddle our thumbs and eat Fritos all winter and life in Kentucky sucks because our weather is cold? What exactly are you trying to say? We love our life here and have no complaints.

Did you know that year after year a national poll determines that the people in the United States with the highest level of contentment are those who live in New England where the winters are the most severe. Soooooo-no correlation between being content and weather. How about that?

Last edited by Cattknap; 12-13-2010 at 04:21 PM..

Old 12-13-2010, 03:19 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,421,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojolico View Post
New England would be an extreme............kinda like Mexico City in August as compared to Louisville (although the temps are often close.) The winters in Louisville are NOT MILD by any stretch of the imagination. Tomorrow, we will be 50 warmer than you, although we are never 50, or 20, or 15 degrees warmer in the summer.
The winters here are relatively mild and have a lesser amount of snow. Try living in Nebraska, Cleveland, or Pennsylvania for a taste of "not mild".

Old 12-13-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
In a kind of related message.......what do people in Louisville do over the winter. It seems very long to me and not much to do except stay inside.
If you're not a wimp about the cold, you go outside and play in the snow when it snows. Go downtown to a bar with friends, go see a movie, eat at one of our many great restaurants, go bowling, etc., etc. etc. The list goes on.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:55 PM

Let's see.........when I lived there, I used to walk / run when it was 25 degrees outside, but never, ever would I do that below that temp. So, I guess I am a "wimp." I think it's funny when you Northerners come down south and complain about the heat! So, it works both ways. BTW, I mis-typed earlier.....it is 50 Degrees warmer here.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Let's see.........when I lived there, I used to walk / run when it was 25 degrees outside, but never, ever would I do that below that temp. So, I guess I am a "wimp." I think it's funny when you Northerners come down south and complain about the heat! So, it works both ways. BTW, I mis-typed earlier.....it is 50 Degrees warmer here.
I'm originally from Florida, so you kind of failed there.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:41 PM

522 posts, read 1,610,115 times
I've said this before and I'll say it again, whether you like a place is such an individual thing and a matter of priorities. Some people like the seasons and like snow. Some hate the heat, some love it. Some adjust better than others to changes in climate. I, for example, do not adjust well to cold. I have an underactive thyroid, which makes a person very sensitive to cold weather. I also have arthritis in my knees and knee-caps that have been injured to the point they don't track right. So, yes, I hate the cold and fear falling on ice and injuring my knees. I don't like the seasons - I don't think bare trees are pretty even when the sky is blue. I will say having a garage in winter is nice and having a husband to shovel snow is even nicer. Winter in Louisville is mild compared to alot of other places, like upstate New York, New England and the upper midwest. It's severe compared to other places like most of the truly southern states and parts of the southwest. It's all relative. I have a friend in Albuquerque, NM who hibernates during the city's relatively mild, short winter and she's originally from Nebraska. To each his own. I will say moving to Louisville has brought back long-ago memories of living in my hometown of St. Louis and white-knuckling it driving into work in bad weather, spinning out on ice while getting on the freeway, and following 3 other cars off the road on ice and snow, one after the other running into each other. These are things I do not miss. Personally, I will be glad to get back to Florida and have green year round, an ocean, and where, (except for this year) I can throw away, socks, gloves, scarves and heavy coats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area