U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 06:29 PM

279 posts, read 1,783,815 times

Advertisements

Krander, where do you live now? Are you in Kentucky?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 06:36 PM

4,948 posts, read 17,620,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krander View Post
Is there anyone that is from or has familiar knowledge with louisville Kentucky that knows if it is safe or not to sleep on the streets?

Where I live I could sleep on the streets with no worries but how about Louisville? I plan on heading there soon and need to know if it is safe to sleep on the streets or not.

It really wouldn't phase me to, it's just I'd like to know if I have to worry about being mugged or something.
I just saw AT&T is going to open in the downtown area a new call center
and will be hiring people to staff it. Check out there stock T.

Maybe they would hire you, don't sleep on the streets. the jobs are to help people who have internet service with problems. good luck

Old 07-12-2007, 08:16 PM

688 posts, read 2,882,766 times
Seriously, living on the streets has more problems than just the safety issues (which will still be a significant issue for you anywhere in Louisville or any other populated city).

First of all, you will most likely need a permanent address and possibly proof of local residence to apply for many jobs and services. Employers prefer hiring employees who have permanent connections in the community and will consider a transient applicant a "flight risk" who is less likely to make a permanent commitment. Being in a situation where you might feel obliged to lie or cover up your living status may make you appear deceitful and untrustworthy. You could always refer back to your previous address but it may raise red flags for some employers, legal issues notwithstanding.

Second, a serious concern for many people living on the streets is hygiene. Without relying upon shelters or other services for access to showers or laundry, you will have a lot of difficulty maintaining a level of hygiene that is suitable for most places of employment. It can be done with a lot of effort and research on your part, but it will become a large issue of your daily life.

Third, maintaining control of your possessions can also become an issue. You will have to have a safe place to stash your belongings during a work shift. You will also have to establish a method of cashing and keeping your money once you become employed - many banks will once again require local addresses even for check cashing purposes.

Fourth, you can be harrassed and arrested for loitering and sleeping in public. Calling in an absence or tardy to a new employer from a jail holding cell will not grant you long-term success.

And, there are many more serious issues that make homelessness an unfortunate downward spiral. Like many others here, I strongly urge you to look into assistance programs and social service networks once you get to Louisville. Even a temporary address in a shelter can lead you back into the upward swing of things. And yes, I am someone who works "down in the trenches" with homeless populations in Lexington. If you need referrals for specific programs in Louisville, I would be happy to try to find those for you. In the meantime, please reconsider your options and realize that living on the street is not your only (or best) choice.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:53 PM

8,730 posts, read 14,878,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlschr0 View Post
Seriously, living on the streets has more problems than just the safety issues (which will still be a significant issue for you anywhere in Louisville or any other populated city).

First of all, you will most likely need a permanent address and possibly proof of local residence to apply for many jobs and services. Employers prefer hiring employees who have permanent connections in the community and will consider a transient applicant a "flight risk" who is less likely to make a permanent commitment. Being in a situation where you might feel obliged to lie or cover up your living status may make you appear deceitful and untrustworthy. You could always refer back to your previous address but it may raise red flags for some employers, legal issues notwithstanding.

Second, a serious concern for many people living on the streets is hygiene. Without relying upon shelters or other services for access to showers or laundry, you will have a lot of difficulty maintaining a level of hygiene that is suitable for most places of employment. It can be done with a lot of effort and research on your part, but it will become a large issue of your daily life.

Third, maintaining control of your possessions can also become an issue. You will have to have a safe place to stash your belongings during a work shift. You will also have to establish a method of cashing and keeping your money once you become employed - many banks will once again require local addresses even for check cashing purposes.

Fourth, you can be harrassed and arrested for loitering and sleeping in public. Calling in an absence or tardy to a new employer from a jail holding cell will not grant you long-term success.

And, there are many more serious issues that make homelessness an unfortunate downward spiral. Like many others here, I strongly urge you to look into assistance programs and social service networks once you get to Louisville. Even a temporary address in a shelter can lead you back into the upward swing of things. And yes, I am someone who works "down in the trenches" with homeless populations in Lexington. If you need referrals for specific programs in Louisville, I would be happy to try to find those for you. In the meantime, please reconsider your options and realize that living on the street is not your only (or best) choice.
This is the kinda reply that can be helpful ,from someone who knows. kudos.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:27 PM

7 posts, read 42,120 times
I will be evaluating my options, thanks for the input to the people who contributed.

Old 07-15-2007, 12:16 AM

5 posts, read 17,213 times
Have a driver's License? Over 23? Almost every trucking company will put you thru training, put you in a motel, feed you, and put a few bucks in your pocket until you are trained. And then put you out on the road making
30-35k 1st year. I know, I am a truck Driver. I have been driving a Big Truck 9 months and have earned 31k.
Not being nosey, but where is your family at? Family is spose to be there to help in emergency.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:07 AM

246 posts, read 1,002,553 times
Default highliner

Krander, if you're going to drop in on Louisville low on cash, just ask the security guards at Greyhound to direct you to Wayside Christian Mission. You will be in terrible danger, if you try to do the underpass thing! I prowled those streets at night in a cruiser for several years, and I KNOW that violence against the homeless is especially acute in the River City. You simply must take advantage of the mission shelters, of which there are several in the city, most having security staff on duty. Please, Please,Please do Not make the big mistake of trying to rough it on Louisville's streets. Most murders of homeless folks don't make it into the Courier-Journal, and it happens a lot! The shelter staff are quite good at helping you find work, get an apartment, feed yourself, and find transportation. Best of luck to you.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:51 AM

252 posts, read 1,019,234 times
Krander, just a thought..........u don't need a job to stay at a hostel, and it would be an address, hot showers, and u can do your own cooking. They are usually very cheap to stay in, and even sometimes u can earn money by doing odd jobs around the hostel itself if u enquire and are willing to work. They have hostel sites online here!

Also, u might want to check with temp agencies!

Old 07-26-2007, 04:24 AM

3,090 posts, read 3,715,599 times
There are generally Salvation Army facilities or other homeless shelters for men in larger cities. You can sleep and shower there and then get a job with a day labor agency where you can get paid daily--at least to get you started. You can usually find a state employment agency where they have job listings. Finally, building maintenance/cleaning services are ALWAYS looking for cleaners. Since you've got access to the net, check it out and see what you can find. Good luck--circumstances do not need to be final.

Old 07-26-2007, 04:33 AM

190 posts, read 770,749 times
krander, please p.m. me! Although not real familiar with Louisville, I do have some connections thru Social Services, and may be able to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area