Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 10:52 PM

7 posts, read 44,030 times

Advertisements

I might be homeless soon (for reasons beyond my control), is it safe to sleep outside in Louisville? I planned on moving there in the near future but now I am thinking about just taking a greyhound to Louisville with a couple hundred dollars and sleeping in random spots until I find a job there.

I would probably just sleep somewhere near the greyhound station, I hear about a place called the riverfront downtown? Do people just randomly sleep there?

Question- Would I have to worry about being robbed and mugged?
Also would places (like mcdonalds or similar) even hire me if I had no permanent residence? Should I just register a PO Box there and put that down on job applications?

It seems I keep getting handed the worst cards in life continuously and I just can't catch a break. At this point in my life I really wouldn't be too phased if I have to be homeless for a while, I just am wondering if I have to worry about being robbed/stabbed if I sleep in random places in Louisville.

I figure if I could find a job relatively quick in Louisville I would only have to sleep on the streets for maybe a month or 2 until I find a cheap apartment or someplace.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I'm at the end of my rope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 06:22 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,869,855 times
What you need to do is go straight to the Dept. of Social Services. Every big city has one. There you can apply for public assistance (welfare and food stamps), and they should be able to direct you to a shelter. No one needs to sleep on the streets.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:47 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,502,677 times
Krander, please don't set your mind on sleeping on the street. It is dangerous anywhere..You are down on your luck and maybe a little depressed, but you have a goal in mind, and that is to work. Take gimmee's advice and find a shelter to stay , where you will have a place to sleep and shower, and food until you have a job. I pray that you will find employment and start to rebuild your life..Please, just take advantage of the help that is there for people who want to help themselves.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:29 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,934,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
Pardon if this sounds crass, but if you know you are going to be homeless some, then why are you wasting your time and MONEY on the internet and not saving up and looking for a place to live?
Maybe , there are a lot of us out there, that would rather sleep under a bridge , than give up their laptop. The connection to almost everything one needs is here.
If I were in this unfortunate persons condition , then , I would somehow , beg, barrow, and short of stealing , get an old van , for a few hundred bucks. privacy is important , let along the dangers of sleeping on the streets. With an old van, you have a place to sleep, eat, work your Internet, and whatever.
It does seem to me , that to be proficient on the computer , is , or could be , enough of a job to get by quite well. I know of a lot of people that live outside the grid, and survive just that way. Anyone with a little creative mind, fingers, eyes and a computer
can make a living. Ebay is a good example of what a person can do on the Net., without much investment.
Desperation Road, the Grapes of Rath syndrome, is not that far away for a lot of folks these days. being mobile, staying connected, and eating , are high on my list. I wonder just how many out there are but one paycheck away from being homeless..........the answer might surprise us.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:07 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,077 times
I don't think we should be judging this person or jumping to conclusions....and i agree darstar - many people are a few pay checks away from living on the street. You can log onto computers in public libraries for free - doesn't mean you have a computer of your own if you post here. This person came here for a little help - let's cut him some slack.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:36 PM

Is there anyone that is from or has familiar knowledge with louisville Kentucky that knows if it is safe or not to sleep on the streets?

Where I live I could sleep on the streets with no worries but how about Louisville? I plan on heading there soon and need to know if it is safe to sleep on the streets or not.

It really wouldn't phase me to, it's just I'd like to know if I have to worry about being mugged or something.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:41 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,934,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krander View Post
You are a waste of life. Firstly I am not wasting any of my time or money by coming onto this forum and posting a message asking for some helpful advice not idiotic posts like the one you made. Also I don't have a computer, I use a public computer with public internet.

You don't know my situation at all, why would you even bother to lift your ignorant finger to post on this thread if you are going to be negative and anything but helpful?
Slow down...........temper , your temper.

Old 07-11-2007, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Slow down...........temper , your temper.

I don't have a temper, that is just ignorant for somebody to post something so negative in my thread dealing with a serious matter.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:10 AM

104 posts, read 688,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krander View Post
I might be homeless soon (for reasons beyond my control), is it safe to sleep outside in Louisville? I planned on moving there in the near future but now I am thinking about just taking a greyhound to Louisville with a couple hundred dollars and sleeping in random spots until I find a job there.

I would probably just sleep somewhere near the greyhound station, I hear about a place called the riverfront downtown? Do people just randomly sleep there?

Question- Would I have to worry about being robbed and mugged?
Also would places (like mcdonalds or similar) even hire me if I had no permanent residence? Should I just register a PO Box there and put that down on job applications?

It seems I keep getting handed the worst cards in life continuously and I just can't catch a break. At this point in my life I really wouldn't be too phased if I have to be homeless for a while, I just am wondering if I have to worry about being robbed/stabbed if I sleep in random places in Louisville.

I figure if I could find a job relatively quick in Louisville I would only have to sleep on the streets for maybe a month or 2 until I find a cheap apartment or someplace.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I'm at the end of my rope.
Would love to give you advice, but need more info please. What has led to you being homeless? Are there no family or friends that can assist you? Why do you have trouble getting/keeping a job? What is your line of work? Would you consider going south to avoid cold winters, since winter really isn't that far off as it is.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:53 AM

155 posts, read 821,488 times
GO to the local church and the people there will help you...in any town that you decide to go to..keep your faith
whether it be depression, down and out bad luck, drugs - but material things are just that material things - you need people to help you through whatever you are going through.. there are shelters, churches that will assist until you get on your feet - they will even help you find a job
no matter what city you are in - the streets are not healthy or safe and there is no curb to sleep on that is safe for you...or for anyone
Remember - people do care - you are human and we all go through really rough times - sometimes we have to swallow our pride and ask for help - then we can PAY IT FORWARD when we are able...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area