Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 02:53 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,422,589 times

Advertisements

So, in my research of the Louisville Metro in preparation for a potential move, I've noticed a huge amount of local residents that seem to have no pride/esteem for their city...and it's way larger than most areas I've researched or lived in.

This truly saddens me as I believe Louisville has huge potential. The downtown development progress that has been made in the last several years is GREAT...but it needs to continue to truly maximize Louisville's potential. Museum Plaza, for example, would/will be a huge boom to the city and hopefully encourage more development in the vicinity including, but certainly not limited to, bringing to Louisville a major professional sports team.

Louisville's metro has a population base of 1,266,454. That is the 42nd largest metro area in the country... bigger than places such as Oklahoma City, Birmingham, New Orleans, Salt Lake City, and Buffalo. This place has so much potential, the residents just need to get on their feet and seize it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 03:35 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
So, in my research of the Louisville Metro in preparation for a potential move, I've noticed a huge amount of local residents that seem to have no pride/esteem for their city...and it's way larger than most areas I've researched or lived in.

This truly saddens me as I believe Louisville has huge potential. The downtown development progress that has been made in the last several years is GREAT...but it needs to continue to truly maximize Louisville's potential. Museum Plaza, for example, would/will be a huge boom to the city and hopefully encourage more development in the vicinity including, but certainly not limited to, bringing to Louisville a major professional sports team.

Louisville's metro has a population base of 1,266,454. That is the 42nd largest metro area in the country... bigger than places such as Oklahoma City, Birmingham, New Orleans, Salt Lake City, and Buffalo. This place has so much potential, the residents just need to get on their feet and seize it!
What have you seen that suggest that the residents of Louisville have no pride in their city?

Oh the pro sports thing is not one I see happening. Main reason is that Louisville is way too close to other markets (Cincy, Indy, Nashville) to happen. Doesn't mean I don't like Louisville but I make it a point to be objective.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
What have you seen that suggest that the residents of Louisville have no pride in their city?

Oh the pro sports thing is not one I see happening. Main reason is that Louisville is way too close to other markets (Cincy, Indy, Nashville) to happen. Doesn't mean I don't like Louisville but I make it a point to be objective.
Perhaps esteem was the better choice of word. It just seems that everywhere I look, people feel so small compared to the other cities around, when in actuality they aren't. I've also seen many, many comments about how Louisville doesn't deserve "this or that" (mostly in respect to Museum Plaza).

Also wrt pro sports, I see it happening eventually. Teams move...especially NBA teams. Buffalo can't hold on to the Bills forever. NHL will have some teams move around, also. Ideally, Louisville would have an NBA and a MLB team. I'm just not sure what MLB team that would be (stay away from my Pirates!)

Old 08-10-2010, 05:12 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Quote:

I don't get it ..in that case Oakland California and San Jose Cali
wouldn't have Professional Sports Teams..Along With The State
Of New Jersey.....And Anaheim California NFL...NHL...MLB...
Pursuing A NBA Team As We Communicate.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:16 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
It only takes five posts for Louisvillians to get onto the theme of sports.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
It only takes five posts for Louisvillians to get onto the theme of sports.
Louisvillians? The first posts were made by people from Nebraska, Vine Grove (which is a different world from Louisville), and California. Plus this was not about sports as much as attracting things that would give Louisville national attention. Louisville has definite potential to outdo places like Nashville, St. Louis, and Indy. The question is how do we do it?

Old 08-10-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
I don't get it ..in that case Oakland California and San Jose Cali
wouldn't have Professional Sports Teams..Along With The State
Of New Jersey.....And Anaheim California NFL...NHL...MLB...
Pursuing A NBA Team As We Communicate.
As someone who grew up in the largest area without a pro sports team in Hampton Roads, VA there is a lot more to it. There is a need of corporate presence, stadium space, sponsorship, traffic infrastructure, etc. And that is if another closeby major sports market doesn't have an objection to you.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
As someone who grew up in the largest area without a pro sports team in Hampton Roads, VA there is a lot more to it. There is a need of corporate presence, stadium space, sponsorship, traffic infrastructure, etc. And that is if another closeby major sports market doesn't have an objection to you.
To be fair, the entirety of SE VA is a mess with way too many cities and conflicting infrastructure.

Tennessee managed to do it right by having the NBA team in Memphis and the NHL and NFL teams in Nashville.

One alarming statistic is the Per Capita Income of the Louisville Metro... only $37,995 as of 2008 (BEA). Places like Indy, Cincy, Nashville, and Memphis are higher. This is where bringing in more opportunities will help the metro.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:53 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
Quote:
Louisvillians? The first posts were made by people from Nebraska, Vine Grove (which is a different world from Louisville), and California. Plus this was not about sports as much as attracting things that would give Louisville national attention. Louisville has definite potential to outdo places like Nashville, St. Louis, and Indy. The question is how do we do it?
What national attention? The story about the church members bringing their guns to Sunday service received international attention. What other news should Louisvillians put out about their town? The Derby? Rick Pitino? The city in the state of Jim Bunning? The West Point machine gun range?
Such things might attract hicks, but I doubt if any will bring their corporations with them.
The sad part is that Louisvillians believe sports is like a savior. Take a look at some of the areas of town; no sidewalks, one business after another. Like Crittenden Drive by 6 Flags - looks like a dump. Same for Dixie Highway. Preston isn't very aethestic either. Old Louisville has a charming appeal, but what the other areas. They couldn't make a very good impression.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:20 PM

146 posts, read 399,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Perhaps esteem was the better choice of word. It just seems that everywhere I look, people feel so small compared to the other cities around, when in actuality they aren't. I've also seen many, many comments about how Louisville doesn't deserve "this or that" (mostly in respect to Museum Plaza).

Also wrt pro sports, I see it happening eventually. Teams move...especially NBA teams. Buffalo can't hold on to the Bills forever. NHL will have some teams move around, also. Ideally, Louisville would have an NBA and a MLB team. I'm just not sure what MLB team that would be (stay away from my Pirates!)
Louisville will NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER have an MLB team, the city could not support it financially, what Louisville needs is an NBA or an NHL team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area