U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-31-2010, 02:48 PM
 
6,886 posts, read 14,761,890 times
Reputation: 3283

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanie55 View Post
DO be careful with your realtor. I went with a realtor with Keller Williams, a very reputable company as I'm sure you know. However, she was "in bed" with the seller's realtor. I ended up paying list price for a house that appraised at more than it will EVER be worth in my lifetime. Comps for houses equivalent to mine in the area I live are around $13000 LESS than what I paid for it 7 months ago. Part of the problem, I believe, is that was during the period of Obama rebates so I think realtors jacked up the prices on the homes. I can't prove it, but I DO suspect it.

I should have gone with TOMOCOX, who works for REMAX and IS reputable. The reason I did not was I was under a time crunch and he was going to be out of town during much of that time and would not have been my primary realtor - he manages the office I believe but DOES act as a real estate agent as well. I made a big mistake. I would suggest giving him a call. Good luck to you!
The board is not to be used for realtor business solicitacion, but Tom does have an excellent reputation, especially with OC and east Louisville where he is an expert. Should you change your mind and want to look in the city, I can recommend other names.

To Joanie, your circumstance is quite unfortunate. However, you, as the buyer, should have probably done some simple research yourself. The MLS is available online and certainly the census and other websites show the value of homes, along with the County PVA. Let's just let others learn from your unfortunate mistake (and misfortune with a dishonest realtor as there are bad apples in EVERY profession).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-31-2010, 05:31 PM
 
22 posts, read 37,464 times
Reputation: 15
Joanie,

If it's any comfort, I think housing prices went down quite a bit in the last 7 months. I know the value of my house did. And a word to the wise, never, ever pay any attention to the Jefferson County PVA. What a joke! Their valuation of my house was completely off.....not close to reality.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2011, 06:11 PM
 
Location: Louisville, KY
522 posts, read 1,485,695 times
Reputation: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
The board is not to be used for realtor business solicitacion, but Tom does have an excellent reputation, especially with OC and east Louisville where he is an expert. Should you change your mind and want to look in the city, I can recommend other names.

To Joanie, your circumstance is quite unfortunate. However, you, as the buyer, should have probably done some simple research yourself. The MLS is available online and certainly the census and other websites show the value of homes, along with the County PVA. Let's just let others learn from your unfortunate mistake (and misfortune with a dishonest realtor as there are bad apples in EVERY profession).
I was not trying to use the board for solitication, merely to give what I believe is helpful advice. However, I do understand your point and see how what I said could be misconstrued. My realtor did a CMA for me which appeared plausable. I was trying to make an out of state move in addition to buying a house, so it was quite a stressful experience and perhaps I did not do thorough enough research. The MLS, however, is NOT available on-line to anyone but realtors - they pay board dues, in part, for the use of this. Realtor.com is available to anyone but does not necessarily list all the inventory that is out there. Plus, there are rules for MLS users that are not in place for the other sites. They must delete sold or rented properties within a short specified time period. The bottom line is that real estate is a profession, which,as you said has both good and bad realtors associated with it. If everyone of us had the expertise to do what good realtors can do, the profession would not exist. That is what they are paid for and how they stay in business and make money.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2011, 06:22 PM
 
Location: Louisville, KY
522 posts, read 1,485,695 times
Reputation: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanie55 View Post
I was not trying to use the board for solitication, merely to give what I believe is helpful advice. However, I do understand your point and see how what I said could be misconstrued. My realtor did a CMA for me which appeared plausable. I was trying to make an out of state move in addition to buying a house, so it was quite a stressful experience and perhaps I did not do thorough enough research. The MLS, however, is NOT available on-line to anyone but realtors - they pay board dues, in part, for the use of this. Realtor.com is available to anyone but does not necessarily list all the inventory that is out there. Plus, there are rules for MLS users that are not in place for the other sites. They must delete sold or rented properties within a short specified time period. The bottom line is that real estate is a profession, which,as you said has both good and bad realtors associated with it. If everyone of us had the expertise to do what good realtors can do, the profession would not exist. That is what they are paid for and how they stay in business and make money.
Just as an aside, if this forum is not to be used for solicitation of realtor, why are you offering to give names of other realtors. Does being the moderator of this forum afford you special priviledges?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2011, 07:06 AM
 
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
1,448 posts, read 4,479,776 times
Reputation: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojolico View Post
Joanie,

If it's any comfort, I think housing prices went down quite a bit in the last 7 months. I know the value of my house did. And a word to the wise, never, ever pay any attention to the Jefferson County PVA. What a joke! Their valuation of my house was completely off.....not close to reality.
The feeling used to be that PVA was 5-10% low. In the new exocomic atmosphere, I think that has reversed. They really should be lowering assessments but obvioulsy that's a tough thing to do since it would crush our tax base.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2011, 07:08 AM
 
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
1,448 posts, read 4,479,776 times
Reputation: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanie55 View Post
Just as an aside, if this forum is not to be used for solicitation of realtor, why are you offering to give names of other realtors. Does being the moderator of this forum afford you special priviledges?
Er, I'm pretty sure he was just trying to be helpful. Also, anyone here can make a recommendation for a realtor or plumber or whatever. It's the realtor or plumber themselves who are not allowed to solicit. So the moderator wasn't breaking any rules by offering to make a suggestion.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2011, 04:00 PM
 
Location: Louisville, KY
522 posts, read 1,485,695 times
Reputation: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
Er, I'm pretty sure he was just trying to be helpful. Also, anyone here can make a recommendation for a realtor or plumber or whatever. It's the realtor or plumber themselves who are not allowed to solicit. So the moderator wasn't breaking any rules by offering to make a suggestion.
Yes, but neither was I.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2011, 04:11 PM
 
Location: Louisville, KY
522 posts, read 1,485,695 times
Reputation: 230
I will not be posting on this forum any longer. I received a DM from the moderator that if I posted any more "condescending messages toward me" that I would receive an "infraction" from him. I considered his message as condescending toward me and responded in kind. Never had any problems on the other state forums. BTW, I expect this message to be deleted by him. So much for freedom of speech. I was merely trying to be helpful.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2011, 05:47 PM
 
22 posts, read 37,464 times
Reputation: 15
Just a clarification........I think Zillow and other such public websites get their information about housing valuations from the Jefferson County PVA......which is a bogus! No one should pay any attention to them.

Joanie......don't go away! You give an honest two cents' worth and the Moderator, who I think lives in FL?, needs to be replaced.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2011, 05:52 PM
 
22 posts, read 37,464 times
Reputation: 15
Joanie, I think it's pretty obvious the condescending messages have been toward YOU. I too have never had any other problems with so-called MODERATORS on any other state / city forums. VERY troublesome.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top