U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 06:57 PM

22 posts, read 37,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
The feeling used to be that PVA was 5-10% low. In the new exocomic atmosphere, I think that has reversed. They really should be lowering assessments but obvioulsy that's a tough thing to do since it would crush our tax base.
Uh....NOOO. Their valuation was about 50% off, but in my direction! Never complained when our taxes went up slightly because I knew the value of my home was far more than what they valued it at (bad grammar.)

My point was if someone is looking at the JCPVA and Zillow, etc. they are going to see that the value is one thing (very possibly lower in my case,) than what the Market Value is.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 07:09 PM

522 posts, read 1,484,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojolico View Post
Uh....NOOO. Their valuation was about 50% off, but in my direction! Never complained when our taxes went up slightly because I knew the value of my home was far more than what they valued it at (bad grammar.)

My point was if someone is looking at the JCPVA and Zillow, etc. they are going to see that the value is one thing (very possibly lower in my case,) than what the Market Value is.
My point, for which I will be kicked off this forum for, is that people often do not appreciate the value of a good realtor. Buying a house is the biggest expense and investment most of us make. A good realtor is imperative and well worth the money!

Old 01-03-2011, 07:20 PM

You are totally correct! My husband has a big "issue" with the realtor I used to relocate because he thought she was taking advantage of me. However, I was pretty firm with her in what was acceptable as far as meeting our needs. Yes, it is your BIGGEST expense, and you can make demands.

Stay on the Forum.......please don't leave. Your opinions are valued. DISregard the MOD.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:29 PM

4,824 posts, read 13,328,716 times
Quote:

The PVA can be a useful tool in a property's valuation; however, as with any tool, it can tear up more than it fixes if used improperly.

We are seeing crazy deals out there right now. It takes courage to buy or sell right now, but for those who do, odds are both sides are still winners.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:41 PM

My experience with the JCPVA it is horribly UNRELIABLE in determining property values and can hurt those of us when the are deemed far lower than their Market Value or True Worth.

And yes.....it is a BUYERS' MARKET.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:26 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,475,884 times
Quote:
Just a clarification........I think Zillow and other such public websites get their information about housing valuations from the Jefferson County PVA......which is a bogus! No one should pay any attention to them.
Or at the very least, just consider them a starting point. Nowadays, every single house and every single neighborhood has it's own story. With REO's, short sales, distressed sales, etc., it's almost a buyer's paradise out there. The biggest problem a lot of buyers have is getting qualified for a loan.

Old 01-09-2011, 11:22 AM

2,391 posts, read 4,386,708 times
Anyone considering to move anywhere should rent first. This will give you time to look around and see what is out there, what area you'd like to live, before you put your $ down. You shouldn't jump so quick into buying, because you may not be so happy....like Joanie

Old 01-16-2011, 10:08 PM

2 posts, read 2,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdnib View Post
My husband and I are contemplating a move from Florida to the Louisville area for a transfer with his job in downtown Louisville. We have been looking at Oldham County because of the school ratings (we have three children). We are a sporty family and love the outdoors, we are definately suburb people, we don't want to live in the city, but my husband does not want a long commute to downtown Louisville each day (30 minutes or so would be preffered). Do you have any recommendations for which area may fit us best? We are visiting in February so any recommendations would be great so we can check it out when we come then. Also if realtors want to send me their info I will contact you. We need a 4 bedroom in the 250,000- 325,000 range. Thanks in advance!
Bullitt County has wonderful schools, 30 minutes to Louisville and country atmosphere. Spencer County has a state park, lake and is less than 30 minutes to downtown. I have asked to befriend you and can help once we are able to communicate outside this post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area