U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2010, 10:53 PM

3 posts, read 5,462 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are contemplating a move from Florida to the Louisville area for a transfer with his job in downtown Louisville. We have been looking at Oldham County because of the school ratings (we have three children). We are a sporty family and love the outdoors, we are definately suburb people, we don't want to live in the city, but my husband does not want a long commute to downtown Louisville each day (30 minutes or so would be preffered). Do you have any recommendations for which area may fit us best? We are visiting in February so any recommendations would be great so we can check it out when we come then. Also if realtors want to send me their info I will contact you. We need a 4 bedroom in the 250,000- 325,000 range. Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 08:05 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,471,127 times
I think you are focused on the right area. Still somewhat rural but close to the amenities of the city. And under the current circumstances, I think you are realistic in your housing budget. Look around the Buckner exit in southern Oldham County off I-71 around exit 17, I think. The LaGrange area may be a tiny bit too far for a 30 minute commute. You may also consider the Crestwood area.

Another possiblity is Anchorage in Jefferson County. Just an excellent school system and a wonderful area. The problem is that it may be a little out of your price range unless you find an estate sale or bank-owned property. Also look in the Prospect area which is further west -- some is in Jefferson County but some is in Oldham County. Also a very nice area.

One word of warning at the risk of bringing down the wrath of realtors upon me. What looks like a great deal in Florida could be overpaying in Kentucky. I've seen out-of-town buyers overpay on numerous occasions because the same house would be $50,000 more in their area. So don't be afraid to ask for lots of comparables from your realtor and push the offer lower.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:23 AM

Thanks for the real estate advice! So far most of what I have looked at has seemed to be a great deal of house for the money so I'll keep that in mind. Thanks again! We can't wait to come take a look at everything!

Old 12-29-2010, 06:28 AM

4,824 posts, read 13,312,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
I think you are focused on the right area. Still somewhat rural but close to the amenities of the city. And under the current circumstances, I think you are realistic in your housing budget. Look around the Buckner exit in southern Oldham County off I-71 around exit 17, I think. The LaGrange area may be a tiny bit too far for a 30 minute commute. You may also consider the Crestwood area.

Another possiblity is Anchorage in Jefferson County. Just an excellent school system and a wonderful area. The problem is that it may be a little out of your price range unless you find an estate sale or bank-owned property. Also look in the Prospect area which is further west -- some is in Jefferson County but some is in Oldham County. Also a very nice area.

One word of warning at the risk of bringing down the wrath of realtors upon me. What looks like a great deal in Florida could be overpaying in Kentucky. I've seen out-of-town buyers overpay on numerous occasions because the same house would be $50,000 more in their area. So don't be afraid to ask for lots of comparables from your realtor and push the offer lower.
Off Topic makes some good points. I endorse this post; however, one word of extreme caution. Anchorage Elementary is one of the best anywhere, but the tax base rate is extreme. If you are looking at a home in Anchorage with a desire to enroll your child in Anchorage School, you must do your due-diligence to be positive you are indeed in the Anchorage School district. Do not make an offer on an Anchorage home without positive proof from the school administrators office that you are indeed in the school district. Just saying the horror stories are out there.

Off Topic, no reputable Realtor will fail to measure up to your last paragraph.

All buyers must be aware that JCPS (Jefferson Co. Schools) offers some of the best education in the nation. Problem is the lottery that determines whether your child "gets lucky." This is especially a problem for people new to JCPS. There are four high schools in Oldham County. Oldham Co. High, North OCHS, South OCHS, and Buckner HS. Even Buckner is rated highly although it's the discipline school. There are four middle schools: OCMS, NOMS, SOMS, & EOMS. All are supurb schools, with small classes and excellent physical plants. With the exception of Liberty and LaGrange Elementary Schools, all elementary schools in Oldham County are new physical plants, with the oldest being Camden Station which is only about 15 years old. (Current plans call for Liberty to be replaced during the 2013-14 school term.)

Every classroom in the county is a high-tech facility using smart boards, and other e-tools including i-pads in an experiment for our grandson's fourth grade.

The real difference in OC schools verses the lower performing districts is simply parental interest.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:34 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,471,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
...one word of extreme caution. Anchorage Elementary is one of the best anywhere, but the tax base rate is extreme. If you are looking at a home in Anchorage with a desire to enroll your child in Anchorage School, you must do your due-diligence to be positive you are indeed in the Anchorage School district. Do not make an offer on an Anchorage home without positive proof from the school administrators office that you are indeed in the school district.
Agree 100%. It's worth it, but it is costly.

Quote:
Off Topic, no reputable Realtor will fail to measure up to your last paragraph.
Ah, the key word being "reputable"! Actually, I've seen this failing in good realtors as well, but will gladly concede that most good ones won't throw you under the bus in most cases.

Quote:
All buyers must be aware that JCPS (Jefferson Co. Schools) offers some of the best education in the nation. Problem is the lottery that determines whether your child "gets lucky." The real difference in OC schools verses the lower performing districts is simply parental interest...
Again, agree 100%. Eastern High School, for example, has a good reputation that is deserved, if memory serves. And agree 1000% about parental interest being paramount.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:53 PM

Thank you both for your advice. I really appreciate the advice about the schools. That, by far, is one of the most important issues for my husband and I, as we will be leaving behind an amazing private school that we love here in Florida. I think I have ruled out anchorage due to the cost of real estate in that area, but Crestwood (from what I've seen online) seems to be where we will start our search. Thanks so much for your help!

Old 12-30-2010, 07:37 AM

522 posts, read 1,482,001 times
DO be careful with your realtor. I went with a realtor with Keller Williams, a very reputable company as I'm sure you know. However, she was "in bed" with the seller's realtor. I ended up paying list price for a house that appraised at more than it will EVER be worth in my lifetime. Comps for houses equivalent to mine in the area I live are around $13000 LESS than what I paid for it 7 months ago. Part of the problem, I believe, is that was during the period of Obama rebates so I think realtors jacked up the prices on the homes. I can't prove it, but I DO suspect it.

I should have gone with TOMOCOX, who works for REMAX and IS reputable. The reason I did not was I was under a time crunch and he was going to be out of town during much of that time and would not have been my primary realtor - he manages the office I believe but DOES act as a real estate agent as well. I made a big mistake. I would suggest giving him a call. Good luck to you!

Old 12-30-2010, 04:55 PM

4,824 posts, read 13,312,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanie55 View Post
DO be careful with your realtor. I went with a realtor with Keller Williams, a very reputable company as I'm sure you know. However, she was "in bed" with the seller's realtor. I ended up paying list price for a house that appraised at more than it will EVER be worth in my lifetime. Comps for houses equivalent to mine in the area I live are around $13000 LESS than what I paid for it 7 months ago. Part of the problem, I believe, is that was during the period of Obama rebates so I think realtors jacked up the prices on the homes. I can't prove it, but I DO suspect it.

I should have gone with TOMOCOX, who works for REMAX and IS reputable. The reason I did not was I was under a time crunch and he was going to be out of town during much of that time and would not have been my primary realtor - he manages the office I believe but DOES act as a real estate agent as well. I made a big mistake. I would suggest giving him a call. Good luck to you!
What humbling post. Thank you, Joanie.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:05 PM

522 posts, read 1,482,001 times
Quote:
What humbling post. Thank you, Joanie.
You are very welcome, but you deserve it!

Old 12-30-2010, 07:03 PM

87 posts, read 247,994 times
Even crestwood/buckner might be a stretch for the 30 minute commute depending on where your hubby is headed downtown.

Pure distance, it shouldn't be a problem...but traffic could drag it up a touch...just something to keep in mind. It's a breeze when there's no traffic...but that's not realistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area