Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2010, 09:46 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,422,202 times

Advertisements

I'm so excited!! Louisville seems like an awesome place with great people, fun things to do, beautiful scenery, a great restaurant scene (can't wait to try the asian-mexican fusion at Dragon King's Daughter!), etc. etc.!

I think I've narrowed down my living choices to New Albany or Clarksville...and I'm having trouble deciding between the two. New Albany has more choices, but they're older, and some are a bit more run down-looking. New Albany is also better positioned (taking the 64 instead of the 65 to work, plus the locations with respect to Meijer and IUS). Clarksville, however, seems like it has nicer, newer homes.

I need exceptional help with respect to budgeting...specifically the income tax. Since I will be working in Louisville, but living in Indiana, I assume I'll be paying two state income taxes, but apparently that might not be the case? Someone told me that IN doesn't have state income tax anymore, but I'm not sure I believe that ( a quick glance at the IN Department of Revenue site doesn't help much)...does anyone know?

Any other offers/suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 11:41 PM

205 posts, read 587,679 times
Welcome. Louisville's my hometown. You'll love it. I'm downriver in Evansville, IN but the tax situation (Ky/Ind) is the same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Since I will be working in Louisville, but living in Indiana, I assume I'll be paying two state income taxes, but apparently that might not be the case?
I'm not a tax expert, but I asked our HR people a while back because I was thinkng about moving. Here are the statutes from each state

103 KAR 17:140. Individual income tax - reciprocity - nonresidents.

Section 3 (2) Indiana. Residents of Indiana shall be exempt from Kentucky income tax on wages, salaries, and commissions.

--------------------------------------------------------------

45 IAC 3.1-1-76 Reciprocity

Sec. 76. Reciprocal Agreements States. [SIZE=2][SIZE=2]Residents who have income consisting of salaries, wages, and commissions from states with which Indiana has a reciprocal tax agreement must report all such income as if it were from Indiana. These states include: Illinois Michigan Pennsylvania Kentucky Ohio Wisconsin... If tax has been withheld by any of these states, a claim for refund should be filed with the state which withheld the taxes.

----------------------------------

You would file a nonresident Kentucky return if your employer withholds any Kentucky state tax, and it would be refunded to you. You will pay Indiana income tax on your income earned in Kentucky when you file your yearly return.

Old 09-11-2010, 05:13 AM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 1,160,180 times
Kentuckiana is great! While the homes in Clarksville are newer, I find it to be somewhat congested, in a way that New Albany is not (yet). Plus like you said being closely positioned to retails establishments and IUS. The thing about NA is that it's not far from other areas so you really can have the best of both worlds.

either way, I think you'll love the area. (I65 can be a but of a pain at times though! haha)

(I don't live in Louisville anymore, but it's my home town, and I visit yearly. It will always be home to me!)

Old 03-09-2011, 01:44 PM

22 posts, read 77,891 times
I live out near St Matthews and like it out here. If you have settled in, hope that you are enjoying the area this far. If open to meeting female friends for walks, coffee, etc..let me know. I have been here a few mnths and am excited to explore the area..I am married in my 30s.

-New gal in Lou.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area