U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 03:59 PM

20 posts, read 85,604 times

Advertisements

Please give your input. Are there any good Churches? Hows the crime? Weather? People? etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 07:10 PM

4,824 posts, read 13,321,584 times
Yes, depends, variable, and absolutely great.

Yes, there are some great churches. Take your choice of denomination, faith, and style.

Crime has spots hotter than a war zone, and mostly almost non-existent.

Weather is four full seasons with 45-50 inches of rain per year.

People like anywhere, you will find a few soreheads, but mostly we are very welcoming, non-judgemental friendly people.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:32 PM

25,214 posts, read 36,198,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by innerpeacezz View Post
Please give your input. Are there any good Churches? Hows the crime? Weather? People? etc.
I'm a transplant who has been here for 8 months and lives in Hardin County, so take this with a grain of salt.

Churches

I can't speak for Louisville, but I've had a had a hard time finding a decent one in Hardin County. There are a lot of suitable churches in Louisville depending on your criteria.

Crime

Gonna depend on where you come from. I moved here from the DC surburbs and I don't think Louisville is too bad when it comes to crime. Of course I'd recommend avoiding the West End of the city and the Smoketown and Newburg neighborhoods.

Weather

There are 4 seasons. I've found winters to be a little rougher than Virginia's as in more snow, colder temps, less sun.

People

I came from a pretty rude area where people made it a point to be nasty. I find nearly everyone here to be decent and friendly. Of course there are some nasty folks but that is everywhere. Oh yeah, the people's friendliness does not extend to their driving. Fair warning.

Louisville's best feature is housing stock and affordability IMO.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:49 PM

221 posts, read 699,137 times
I moved here from Pittsburgh, and I love it. The people are wonderful--real, friendly, and witty. They can make fun out of anything.

Churches in my denomination are much better here than in western PA.

I feel very safe here as a single woman. But there are places (mentioned above) that I wouldn't go alone to after dark.

And the weather has been weird during the last two years. My neighbors think it's me!

Old 01-23-2011, 06:48 AM

4,824 posts, read 13,321,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
I moved here from Pittsburgh, and I love it. The people are wonderful--real, friendly, and witty. They can make fun out of anything.

Churches in my denomination are much better here than in western PA.

I feel very safe here as a single woman. But there are places (mentioned above) that I wouldn't go alone to after dark.

And the weather has been weird during the last two years. My neighbors think it's me!
You are loved!

There is quite a pandora's box written within your "churches in my denomination..." What a regret that our churches representing God and Christ are such a diverse group.

We love St. Matthews Baptist Church. While it now actually sits in Louisville, it was founded in St. Matthews. We love it so much, we and many other couples drive 30-45 minutes to worship with a racially diverse, international congregation that acknowledges and respects women in Christian leadership, and leads music worship with a blend of traditional and contemporary. SMBC prides itself in true Baptist doctrine. A doctrine that believes that each person who acknowledges Christ as Lord has their own personal relationship with God. It's what is commonly known as the "priesthood of the believer" doctrine.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:36 PM

7 posts, read 13,704 times
Moved to Louisville in 2006. As a Catholic, I chose Cathedral of the Assumption in downtown. Met friends very quickly and attended services at other churches. Most everyone I've met were friendly.

Crime seems contained to particular areas of the city, such as the West End. I have never had a problem. A couple friends were mugged recently, but they both live in downtown nearest to the West End.

Weather is tolerable. Four seasons with winter as coldest and summer the warmest. Spring is fun as storms fire up. The summer can be very humid with ozone and smog alerts. Fall is beautiful in this part of the country. I do not like the cold, but winter is survivable. Louisville seems to receive a fair amount of ice during the winter which obviously makes traveling treacherous.

As mentioned above, people are friendly. Diverse cultures share the city and you will also find concentrations of cultures in various parts of the city.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:52 PM

5,284 posts, read 18,741,370 times
We moved here from Southern California 2 1/2 years ago...we love it here. Our church is really wonderful with thousands of members - lots of young families. We live in Prospect and the crime is very low and the city is run very well - always solvent with savings and great services.

We find people here quite delightful and the standard of living overall is quite high. Winters are cold here - 4 seasons, each with much beauty. Snow is usually 1 to 3 inches at a time and melts off within a few days. Last year we shoveled the driveway twice and this year probably 4 times.

We live close to the river (5 minutes), about 30 minutes from downtown and that is just about right for us....less traffic, cleaner air, more space, bigger lots, less crime and more scenic beauty (forests, waterfalls, creeks, horse farms) when you get a bit further out....yet we are less than 15 minutes from the malls and have good services where we live. We are very happy that we moved here.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:49 PM

22 posts, read 71,544 times
I am new here and so far so good. The people are friendly and there are many things to do. The city itself is easy to get in and out of. There are many restaurants as well. There are many churches, parks, etc..Good luck with your move!

Old 03-01-2011, 09:39 PM

22,251 posts, read 38,843,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
cleaner air
No place in the Ohio Valley has good air quality. That is a big negative quality of life issue for me.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:29 PM

22 posts, read 71,544 times
Default catholic churches..new here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matalen View Post
Moved to Louisville in 2006. As a Catholic, I chose Cathedral of the Assumption in downtown. Met friends very quickly and attended services at other churches. Most everyone I've met were friendly.

Crime seems contained to particular areas of the city, such as the West End. I have never had a problem. A couple friends were mugged recently, but they both live in downtown nearest to the West End.

Weather is tolerable. Four seasons with winter as coldest and summer the warmest. Spring is fun as storms fire up. The summer can be very humid with ozone and smog alerts. Fall is beautiful in this part of the country. I do not like the cold, but winter is survivable. Louisville seems to receive a fair amount of ice during the winter which obviously makes traveling treacherous.

As mentioned above, people are friendly. Diverse cultures share the city and you will also find concentrations of cultures in various parts of the city.
My husband and I are out near St matthews..any tips on Catholic churches or groups for volunteer work for thirty somethings, as well as friendship? Thanks very much! Feel free to message me directly via the site.

a new gal in Lou.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area