U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2011, 06:27 AM

6,886 posts, read 14,760,543 times

Advertisements

Per current issue of Business First they are coming to Shelbyville Road Plaza in St Matthews. They still state Louisville is not in their two year plan, yet they often say this and still open new stores.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 06:58 PM

2,391 posts, read 4,397,592 times
I've heard of it and thought it was on the west coast of the states. What kind of store is it~? Another health food store or what~? We have numerous of local health food stores and of course Whole Foods. So how does this place compare~?

Old 02-03-2011, 06:35 AM

165 posts, read 280,086 times
It's sort of like Whole Foods or the now-gone Wild Oats in that a lot of their stock is natural and/or organic. But their prices are often better than Whole Foods, and they have a more down-to-earth, independent, West Coast vibe.

They're possibly best known for the Charles Shaw wine which has won legit wine competitions and which they sell for around $3 in this part of the country. It's $2 in California, which has earned it the nickname "Two Buck Chuck."

Old 02-03-2011, 03:02 PM

20 posts, read 73,182 times
Very glad to hear that my old home town is getting a Trader Joe's!

veggienut...a bit more for you...if the store out there is similar to the ones I have been to in California and Washington, they tend to be pretty small. If you are indeed a veggie nut, you will find the selection of vegetables and fruits to be rather small and prices to be a bit higher than the big supermarket chains. However, the quality is always good.

On other things, prices can be amazing. In southern California where I live now, a gallon of milk at $3.50 is a bargain as it can often be about $4 or more. At Trader Joe's, it's usually about $2.60 which can really add up for those with a family.

Overall, it's a good place to get interesting, generally healthy foods at very low prices. Most everything there is organic or no-preservatives, no additives type things. Selection on each type of item is small but that's part of the Trader Joe's philosophy -- why have 30 types of canned corn when one good one will do? If it's relatively close to where you live, it's definitely worth checking out at least once.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:12 AM

5,284 posts, read 18,774,545 times
I read the business first announcement but I would feel better if Trader Joe's would place Louisville on their list of upcoming stores (it has not).

Trader Joe's will really give Whole Foods, Kroger and Fresh Market a run for their money. Whole Foods is the only place in town that I can find all-butter puff pastry at a little over $10 a box while Trader Joe's is about half that price. Their vitamins, household products, wines, fresh bakery items and specialty cheeses and foods are really good. I used to buy Kosher chickens at Trader Joes (when I lived in California) - great chicken, sausages and bacon, beef, seafood. Also their frozen foods, specialty chocolates, imported and domestic butter, soups, sauces, spices, take out salads, sandwiches, dinner foods - all really wonderful as are their fresh flowers and plants. They always have a ton of delicious holiday foods and greens too.

Granted the selection and variety is much less than Whole Foods but TJ's does have quality in the selection that they have and the prices will probably meat Whole Foods most of the time.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:36 AM

2,391 posts, read 4,397,592 times
Thanks for all the info that ya'll gave me I've been to a place in Cincinnatti Ohio called: Jungle Jim's. This Trader Joe's place sounds similar to them, but maybe on the smaller side. Someone did tell me that they do have one in Cincy, but I haven't yet ventured there. I really enjoyed Jungle Jim's tho. Has anyone else been there before~?

P.S. I am a veggienut, as in vegetarian....but I am not a nut

Old 02-04-2011, 09:08 AM

2,084 posts, read 6,278,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
Thanks for all the info that ya'll gave me I've been to a place in Cincinnatti Ohio called: Jungle Jim's. This Trader Joe's place sounds similar to them, but maybe on the smaller side. Someone did tell me that they do have one in Cincy, but I haven't yet ventured there. I really enjoyed Jungle Jim's tho. Has anyone else been there before~?

P.S. I am a veggienut, as in vegetarian....but I am not a nut
Yeah, Trader Joe's are usually more on the scale of a neighborhood market not a mega grocery store. Like others have said, they have a very good selection of vegetarian foods, ethnic foods, health food products but in a more low key, less "uppity" environment than a Fresh Market or Whole Foods IMO. The prices are typically much better too.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:33 AM

11 posts, read 20,690 times
aldis beats the milk at 1.49

Old 04-22-2011, 06:55 PM

862 posts, read 1,518,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnieKennedy View Post
aldis beats the milk at 1.49
Unfortunately Aldi's doesn't sell 1%.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:38 AM

1,197 posts, read 1,604,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
Yeah, Trader Joe's are usually more on the scale of a neighborhood market not a mega grocery store. Like others have said, they have a very good selection of vegetarian foods, ethnic foods, health food products but in a more low key, less "uppity" environment than a Fresh Market or Whole Foods IMO. The prices are typically much better too.
I find whole foods to have the best customer service of just about any company i frequent. i have never had a single rude employee. i challenge anyone to walk down an aisle past a whole foods employee and not be asked "may i help you" or "finding everything you need?'. the people that work there seem to love it, and it reflects on the way that they treat the customers. I also like the way you can donate your bag credits to local charity. these type of things are just as if not more important to me than price and selection.

I am very excited to try trader joe's as i have heard lots of great things, but they better have their "a" game on if they wanna get me away from whole foods!lol.

I do agree with you about fresh market. the wife and i went to the brownsboro rd. location and i felt as if i needed a tux to shop there. a little snooty for my liking. either way, more choices= we win!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area