U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2011, 12:43 AM

394 posts, read 1,434,909 times

Advertisements

I am currently in Santa Monica, CA. I am with a great company that is based in Louisville and I am originally from Fort Wayne (Just up the road and want to be closer to family.

What do you have to share? Good, bad, the ugly, the great, the awesome. Keep in mind I am coming from West LA, so I have realistic expectations, and do not expect the world....but work with a BID (Business Improvement District) and also plan on attending school down there.

Starting with an AA and switching to a B in Architecture...

I have been away from family too long so please spare the whole...you're crazy for leaving California sunshine and moving out here speeches! I have a great attitude and was raised in Fort Wayne, so winter doesn't scare me!

If you want it...come and get it...I have a great $675 cage available right off the 405 and Santa Monica Blvd...we can trade.

Not to say I will not miss 75 degrees in February...but we all have to grow up someday...and my company is a good one!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 12:36 PM

4,824 posts, read 13,337,032 times
Depending upon what you enjoy about life, Louisville can be a wonderful place. You are within a day's drive, a couple hours flight of those special get away locations. Life is good here.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:55 AM

I would like to thank you for being beyond a viewer and responding. I have personally lived all over the country and have responded in several forums, and in fact, try to still respond in previous cities at times. I try...although sometimes I don't always say what people want to hear!

This move would be for family, mainly. Family and cost of living.

1. I am in Santa Monica. Yes, it's beautiful...but if only it were full of beautiful people. The homeless here are just annoying despite numerous services and feedings allowed in the city regularly. The point is that there are many things out here to help, and because the city allows it, instead of rehabilitation, they just chill and bug people. Ask for money, destroy the place, trash it, and the scenery, sleep in doorways, sidewalks, and places that are clearly in the way...loiter to the point that it's illegal but NOTHING is done about it.

Also, it's SoCal. People here are different than that of the people I grew up with. Well DUH..right? I guess I just had to see for myself what was really like it was in the books and movies and what was here. I found that although stereotypes are harmful... I can see three general ideas emerging.

a) I have no time to smile at you and acknowledge your existence
b) If you show weakness, I will take from you whatever it is I need
c) I am moving up, and if you don't get out of my way...you'll regret it.

I get tired of that always on the red carpet attitude...even if someone is clearly below what I would perceive to be my status although, I really try not to do that.

2. It's expensive, crowded, and there are no solutions on the board that don't involve a person spending more money. The streets are loaded with people who park there and NEVER move their cars until street sweepers come through, the apartment complexes are clearly overloaded as dictated by Fire Marshal regulations for inhabitants...why is it so black and white? The rules say. Too many...get out. That simple. And the cost of living is astounding. When I looked back home, I found that Santa Monica, with comparable income, I believe was 79% more expensive in housing. That's not a small figure!

So what am I looking for? As you can imagine, the mountains and the weather are hard to leave behind.

1. I want to make friends with people again. Not be in an unfriendly, clique oriented society with people who all backstab and try to look better than those they claim to be best friends with. People who are like me are more than likely going to be where I am from, or the region.

2. 200 miles from Family is not too close, but close enough. 2150 is too much. I miss them, as in ten years I have been home several times, but still missed out a lot. That choice would have to take me home, or to higher income to visit them more often. Plain and simple.

3. An apartment...I live in a 190 sq ft room with no kitchen and a bathroom attached and small closet, without parking, and pay $675 a month. I live near the freeway and UCLA, so this is no quiet, off the map studio...It's loud...and honestly, dirt cheap. I looked at something smaller two blocks away with a side street parking spot sure to get slapped by a garbage truck accidentally and it was almost $900. Last year I had a 700 sq ft one-bedroom for $1400 after utilities. Sadly, again, that was a bargain in West Los Angeles....Why not move farther? Everything I need from work to school is close. Commutes in So Cal suck...plain and simple.

3. Continue to move forward with a great company in a new place, new adventure, new town, but with better people. On that regard, I've only driven down 65 and passed through Louisville. How is it really? I would guess by the postings that it's a typical midwest larger city. But I don't know...good people? Fort Wayne is a bigger city with a small town feel. How is Louisville...and Indianapolis Annex? Just curious...cause really, I don't know!

Thanks in advance for your time in reading my book!

Old 02-11-2011, 04:50 AM

25,252 posts, read 36,298,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostgecko View Post
I would like to thank you for being beyond a viewer and responding. I have personally lived all over the country and have responded in several forums, and in fact, try to still respond in previous cities at times. I try...although sometimes I don't always say what people want to hear!

This move would be for family, mainly. Family and cost of living.

1. I am in Santa Monica. Yes, it's beautiful...but if only it were full of beautiful people. The homeless here are just annoying despite numerous services and feedings allowed in the city regularly. The point is that there are many things out here to help, and because the city allows it, instead of rehabilitation, they just chill and bug people. Ask for money, destroy the place, trash it, and the scenery, sleep in doorways, sidewalks, and places that are clearly in the way...loiter to the point that it's illegal but NOTHING is done about it.

Also, it's SoCal. People here are different than that of the people I grew up with. Well DUH..right? I guess I just had to see for myself what was really like it was in the books and movies and what was here. I found that although stereotypes are harmful... I can see three general ideas emerging.

a) I have no time to smile at you and acknowledge your existence
b) If you show weakness, I will take from you whatever it is I need
c) I am moving up, and if you don't get out of my way...you'll regret it.

I get tired of that always on the red carpet attitude...even if someone is clearly below what I would perceive to be my status although, I really try not to do that.

2. It's expensive, crowded, and there are no solutions on the board that don't involve a person spending more money. The streets are loaded with people who park there and NEVER move their cars until street sweepers come through, the apartment complexes are clearly overloaded as dictated by Fire Marshal regulations for inhabitants...why is it so black and white? The rules say. Too many...get out. That simple. And the cost of living is astounding. When I looked back home, I found that Santa Monica, with comparable income, I believe was 79% more expensive in housing. That's not a small figure!

So what am I looking for? As you can imagine, the mountains and the weather are hard to leave behind.

1. I want to make friends with people again. Not be in an unfriendly, clique oriented society with people who all backstab and try to look better than those they claim to be best friends with. People who are like me are more than likely going to be where I am from, or the region.

2. 200 miles from Family is not too close, but close enough. 2150 is too much. I miss them, as in ten years I have been home several times, but still missed out a lot. That choice would have to take me home, or to higher income to visit them more often. Plain and simple.

3. An apartment...I live in a 190 sq ft room with no kitchen and a bathroom attached and small closet, without parking, and pay $675 a month. I live near the freeway and UCLA, so this is no quiet, off the map studio...It's loud...and honestly, dirt cheap. I looked at something smaller two blocks away with a side street parking spot sure to get slapped by a garbage truck accidentally and it was almost $900. Last year I had a 700 sq ft one-bedroom for $1400 after utilities. Sadly, again, that was a bargain in West Los Angeles....Why not move farther? Everything I need from work to school is close. Commutes in So Cal suck...plain and simple.

3. Continue to move forward with a great company in a new place, new adventure, new town, but with better people. On that regard, I've only driven down 65 and passed through Louisville. How is it really? I would guess by the postings that it's a typical midwest larger city. But I don't know...good people? Fort Wayne is a bigger city with a small town feel. How is Louisville...and Indianapolis Annex? Just curious...cause really, I don't know!

Thanks in advance for your time in reading my book!
My advice after reading all this?

Get to Louisville ASAP. It's great medicine for the Southern CA blues.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:15 PM

593 posts, read 1,308,832 times
I'm in San Diego and looking for a fresh start in a new & exciting place. Socal is great until you start noticing things. But you're always so preoccupied with a laundry list of stuff that you don't notice them. And wen you start to notice them, you wonder how much of your humanity have you lost at that point?!

I lost my drive as an artist in Socal. My friends told me to give it up, but I can't! It's just too darned expensive here and you need to corporatize yourself and become a robot slave to the Socal dream. And the weather is so nice, sometimes it just feels like it lulls you into a false sense of reality.

I'm just really tired of it here!!

I visited Louisville a few years ago for the Idea Festival which I won tickets to and airfare and accommodations at an awesome trendy boutique hotel downtown (C21) and it was probably the best time I've ever had--the people were friendly, the arts scene was great and the city was beautiful. I like the southern charm, the affordability, the brick houses, the actual HISTORY and that it seems to be trying to be modern and artsy fartsy but that it doesn't really need to try too hard (unlike Socal).

So after that experience, I always keep pondering whether to move there. It's a long way and I don't have a job, but I think it will be just the medicine for what ails me.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:26 PM

Thanks Scratch...

I know how you feel...in the past I often get excited and inspired by living in new places. I have seemingly lost my drive out here too, while I enjoy the beauty and mountains, and the weather when it's nice...I could do with some oomph...

I thought the same thing...this place would inspire me. It's kind of weird...we are surrounded by all of this art, music, and movies, and amazing culture, but the air is just so dead...around it...I think sometimes it's the friendliness of the people that just kills it...it's hard to enjoy participating in something when people are so cold.

I don't like exploring here on my own that much either...makes you feel like a black ant in a red ant pile. Just weird. In the past I've always enjoyed getting out...here it feels so lonely at times.

If I were out of school, and had less to do, it would get to me much more. I feel like I should get out and make some friends and join some clubs, but again, people are initially cold, which makes it hard to ask questions, get out...etc...

Often after working with the public and tourism all day, I just don't feel like going out and doing anything...

But I'm not depressed, I just feel like I could be living much more...

Old 02-22-2011, 08:24 PM

2,391 posts, read 4,394,414 times
I see Louisville just on a smaller scale than the large city you live in. I also think you may want to be closer to your family, but things can change once you get here. I met a lady on here who moved from Florida to Louisville to be closer to her family. Her family won't have much to do with her and she really has to beg for them to help her out. Long story short, all families have issues and hopefully you will enjoy it here. The commute to anywhere is shorter than Cali. Good Luck and hope it works out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area