Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 05:23 PM

554 posts, read 2,501,358 times

Advertisements

Hello.. My grandfathers business will be taking the family on a trip to Louisville pretty soon. I've never been to Louisville...

What is there to do in the city? Points of interests, shopping, etc..

Thanks if you reply
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 06:09 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,080,858 times
It depends alot on what you like to do. Here's a link that can help you
Louisville Kentucky - Home of the Kentucky Derby - Visitors Bureau

Old 07-21-2007, 07:58 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,311,771 times
See the Kentucky Derby Museum and Slugger Museum as definites! Good Zoo, a trip to Bernheim Forest and maybe on to Bardstown worth a shot. If you have a time an enjoy the fortune and opportunity to go to the Indiana side of the Ohio and see the fossil beds below the Falls of the Ohio could be worthwhile too.

Old 07-22-2007, 05:03 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,080,858 times
I work at the zoo seasonally and the best time to go is in the evening on a Thursday or Friday. (The zoo doesn't close until 8:00, out by 9:00 on those days in July and also Saturdays in August). Check out the website at louisvillezoo.org.

Old 07-22-2007, 09:02 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,049,743 times
Theater, symphony orchestra, ballet, great restaurants, boating, great shopping, ambiance....a good airport, outstanding hospitals, central location.

Old 07-22-2007, 11:38 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,743,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Theater, symphony orchestra, ballet, great restaurants, boating, great shopping, ambiance....a good airport, outstanding hospitals, central location.
Very true, there is tons to do in Louisville...what are your interests?

Old 07-23-2007, 07:52 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,791,652 times
A visit to the Louisville Slugger Museum & Factory is mandatory and something you might not see in Chicago. The Frazier International History Museum is near by and also worth the visit.

Louisville Slugger Museum - Home Page Welcome

Welcome to the Frazier Museum

Old 07-23-2007, 07:23 PM

554 posts, read 2,501,358 times
Thanks for the replies.. it seems like there is a lot to do in Louisville!

What are the major malls in the area?

I was hoping to spend a day with my grandmother at the mall or malls since that's one of her favorite hobbies.

Also, what time would the Zoo close on a Monday? 8:00 PM I'm guessing.

As for myself I like visiting downtowns; what are some attractions in downtown Louisville?

Old 07-23-2007, 08:19 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,311,771 times
You will only need to go to Oxmoor and/or The Mall St. Matthews. They sit within 1/2 mile of each other at the intersection of I-264 (Watterson X-way) and US 60 E. (Shelbyville Rd). There you will find two very nice centers with Sears/Macy's/VonMaur/Dicks Sporting Goods Anchoring Oxmoor, and JC Penny's/Dillards/Dawhares anchoring The Mall, St. Matthews. There are many "moons" off both of those planets such as Kohls/Bed, Bath, & Beyond/Off-Broadway Shoes, etc.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:18 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,743,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
Thanks for the replies.. it seems like there is a lot to do in Louisville!

What are the major malls in the area?

I was hoping to spend a day with my grandmother at the mall or malls since that's one of her favorite hobbies.

Also, what time would the Zoo close on a Monday? 8:00 PM I'm guessing.

As for myself I like visiting downtowns; what are some attractions in downtown Louisville?
The best malls are Mall St Matthews and Oxmoor Mall, which are right next to each other. I also like this mall in the NE suburbs:

The Summit Louisville - Home

It is similar to lifestyle centers in Chicagoland and other major cities. However, if you prefer a unique to Louisville experience, try starting at Baxter and Broadway and walk south for a couple miles to see unique stores, restaurants, and boutique shopping. Frankfort avenue has similar opportunites.

Downtown Louisville has several great attractions. I think the must sees are the Slugger Bat Museum and Factory, Glassworks, The Ali Center, and Fourth Street Live. The Frazier International History Museum is small but has the only outpost of the British Royal Armories in the US. I would not recommend eating at 4th Street Live, as downtown has much better eateries, but it can be a fun place to have a drink outside. I would check out Primo in the east Market corridor for dinner one night. I would rent a bike at Waterfront Park, and explore that area. You could see a AAA baseball game for cheap with your family, although this atmoshphere is much different than the Cubs or Sox!

Are you interested in history of cities or other nerdy endeavors? There are other options downtown for that too. I would also recommend taking a tour of Old Louisville:

Walking Tours of Old Louisville

There is also a service that gives tours linked there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area