Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 04:27 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
I believe Louisville is destroying itself by trying to be a bigger city and in ten/twenty years, is going to look.like one of those cartoon cities where everything is crowded and stacked in a small area. Back when this thread was created, I rather loved living here. Now I love it, but kinda hate it. Plus Derby weekend is coming up and that's something nobody really wants to deal with, like our massive potholes that I descovered has broken a belt in my tire and bent the rim in the same spot... and something else I'm about to.go descover.in an hour or two...
If I owned a home in Louisville I'd intentionally take a long weekend vacationing somewhere else and rent my home out as an AirBNB at an insane mark-up to tourists to fund that vacation (and then some!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2019, 06:04 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
If I owned a home in Louisville I'd intentionally take a long weekend vacationing somewhere else and rent my home out as an AirBNB at an insane mark-up to tourists to fund that vacation (and then some!)
And hundreds of people do that every year, if not thousands. A few years ago Airbnb ranked the home sharing in major Midwest cities. Louisville was essentially tied with Minneapolis for second behind Chicago. Louisville is a major tourist city these days.

http://www.dailydetroit.com/wp-conte...idwestData.pdf

Louisville's Airbnb's should decline in the next year....like New Orleans, Airbnbs have taken over entire neighborhoods! The city is now cracking down with strict ordinances and now no two Airbnbs can be 600 feet from each other.

Old 04-21-2019, 10:36 PM

8 posts, read 24,960 times
Indy is dreadful, awful. Unless you like sports and boring ugly flat lands, stay away

Old 04-26-2019, 08:33 AM

10 posts, read 13,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
And hundreds of people do that every year, if not thousands. A few years ago Airbnb ranked the home sharing in major Midwest cities. Louisville was essentially tied with Minneapolis for second behind Chicago. Louisville is a major tourist city these days.

Louisville's Airbnb's should decline in the next year....like New Orleans, Airbnbs have taken over entire neighborhoods! The city is now cracking down with strict ordinances and now no two Airbnbs can be 600 feet from each other.

that's interesting but I wonder how much derby skews it. few cities louisville's size have an event as large as the derby that draws as many (and as wealthy) people and which fetches such high rates for rooms and houses (since there isn't enough hotel capacity) ... Louisville's nights hosted per listing is significantly lower than the other cities according to the table (theoretically brought down by the people who host only on Derby), so I'm not sure I'm convinced that this data shows Louisville is a significant regional tourism hub year round compared to it's peers, though that's not to say I don't think it doesn't deserve to be. I mean every AirBnB host probably does Derby and that's at least $1k (the average 2 day stay was $1230 according to a recent article) if not upwards of $2k or more of the $4.1k it says the hosts bring in on average per year ... if the hosts were hosting as often as in more typical tourist hubs Louisville's earnings would be a lot higher I think ...

Last edited by MrFlatworm; 04-26-2019 at 09:15 AM..

Old 04-27-2019, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlatworm View Post
that's interesting but I wonder how much derby skews it. few cities louisville's size have an event as large as the derby that draws as many (and as wealthy) people and which fetches such high rates for rooms and houses (since there isn't enough hotel capacity) ... Louisville's nights hosted per listing is significantly lower than the other cities according to the table (theoretically brought down by the people who host only on Derby), so I'm not sure I'm convinced that this data shows Louisville is a significant regional tourism hub year round compared to it's peers, though that's not to say I don't think it doesn't deserve to be. I mean every AirBnB host probably does Derby and that's at least $1k (the average 2 day stay was $1230 according to a recent article) if not upwards of $2k or more of the $4.1k it says the hosts bring in on average per year ... if the hosts were hosting as often as in more typical tourist hubs Louisville's earnings would be a lot higher I think ...
Wait what do you mean? Louisville received more guests than ANY other city listed except Chicago and Mineapolis. It clearly shows Louisville is a tourist hub even 3-4 years ago....that's only accelerated.

https://airbnbwatch.org/report-airbn...ees-thousands/

https://www.bizjournals.com/louisvil...-earn-for.html

Louisville received 33,000 guests the year of this study....

Now it received 124,000 guests last year and it's RAPIDLY growing. Bourbon tourism is huuuuuge. If you can't see it you don't spend more than 6 hours a month downtown.

Old 04-27-2019, 05:02 AM

10 posts, read 13,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Wait what do you mean? Louisville received more guests than ANY other city listed except Chicago and Mineapolis. It clearly shows Louisville is a tourist hub even 3-4 years ago....that's only accelerated.

https://airbnbwatch.org/report-airbn...ees-thousands/

https://www.bizjournals.com/louisvil...-earn-for.html

Louisville received 33,000 guests the year of this study....

Now it received 124,000 guests last year and it's RAPIDLY growing. Bourbon tourism is huuuuuge. If you can't see it you don't spend more than 6 hours a month downtown.

Yea I see them and tell them all these downtown bourbon attractions are blatant cash grabs to cash in on brown spirits' growing popularity and that if they want the real experience they need to go on the Bourbon Trail that's actually preceded bourbons' recent explosion. It's convenient, I'll give them that, between being able to drink and get around in a short cab ride and avoid the hassle of driving hours between tours and then not having anything else to do there once you're done, but let's be honest about what it is.

I'm just saying, Louisville's hosts bring in on average about as much money as every other city on the list, BUT Louisville has an event unlike any other city it's size that allows the hosts to pull in $2000+ dollars in 2 days, evidenced by the average nights Louisville AirBnBs host being significantly lower than the other cities on the list because it's being pulled down by the ones that only host on Derby, probably mostly people who otherwise used to just rent their house out once a year on Derby on a service other than AirBnB before it existed.

Old 04-30-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlatworm View Post
Yea I see them and tell them all these downtown bourbon attractions are blatant cash grabs to cash in on brown spirits' growing popularity and that if they want the real experience they need to go on the Bourbon Trail that's actually preceded bourbons' recent explosion. It's convenient, I'll give them that, between being able to drink and get around in a short cab ride and avoid the hassle of driving hours between tours and then not having anything else to do there once you're done, but let's be honest about what it is.

I'm just saying, Louisville's hosts bring in on average about as much money as every other city on the list, BUT Louisville has an event unlike any other city it's size that allows the hosts to pull in $2000+ dollars in 2 days, evidenced by the average nights Louisville AirBnBs host being significantly lower than the other cities on the list because it's being pulled down by the ones that only host on Derby, probably mostly people who otherwise used to just rent their house out once a year on Derby on a service other than AirBnB before it existed.
But I just showed you, with OBJECTIVE data from the source.

Louisville doesn't have about as many Airbnb guests as other cities. It has TWICE the number of a city like Cleveland and nearly twice that of Detroit. In the Midwest in the year of that study, the number of guests for Louisville was essentially almost tied for second with Minneapolis.

Say what you want but all I care about is number of guests....Louisville had 124,000 guests on Airbnb alone last year and in this study, had SECOND most guests to Chicago, essentially tied with Minneapolis. That is SIGNIFICANT. One event doesn't do that. What does is the bourbon tourism brand, and lots of big festivals like thefour, 50k plus music festivals we host this year, zombie walk, st pats, thunder, pride, st james, and many other 50k plus events I am sure I forgot such as games, concerts, conventions, and others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area