U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 05:46 PM

4 posts, read 3,912 times

Advertisements

my husband got a job in louisville we are moving from rural ohio we are looking for safe middle class areas with good grade schools and quiet neighborhoods, what areas should we avoid, we are coming from a small town of about 12,000 people and dont wanna get much bigger but my husband doesnt wanna commute to far to work only 30 mins or so, where should we look... any help would be appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 05:28 AM

4,824 posts, read 13,222,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onegr8mome View Post
my husband got a job in louisville we are moving from rural ohio we are looking for safe middle class areas with good grade schools and quiet neighborhoods, what areas should we avoid, we are coming from a small town of about 12,000 people and dont wanna get much bigger but my husband doesnt wanna commute to far to work only 30 mins or so, where should we look... any help would be appreciated!
In order to give you a better recommendation, can you tell us what part of Louisville your husband's work will be? The Louisville Metropolitan Statisical Area requires about 1.5 hours to cross from side to side in any direction.

If drive-time fits, southern Indiana or Oldham County will offer you best education opportunities.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:15 PM

7 posts, read 13,670 times
Default Moving To Louisville....

Hi Tomocox....My husband has accepted a job in Louisville and we will be relocating there in the summer. From all the research I have done, it looks like Oldham County is more than likely where we will end up. We have middle school children. Any thoughts to the various Oldham County middle schools and high schools? Thanks for your help

Old 03-14-2011, 03:46 PM

22 posts, read 70,911 times
I have heard good things about Oldham Cnty Schools, horrible things about Jefferson Cnty Schools, and decent things about S. IN public schools. Southern IN is much cheaper than Oldham Cnty as far as the cost of real estate overall. Parts of S. IN are only 20 minutes to the center of the city and areas are just as safe. Just start going to Yahoo real estate and searching for homes in different areas.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:01 PM

862 posts, read 1,504,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdingon View Post
Hi Tomocox....My husband has accepted a job in Louisville and we will be relocating there in the summer. From all the research I have done, it looks like Oldham County is more than likely where we will end up. We have middle school children. Any thoughts to the various Oldham County middle schools and high schools? Thanks for your help

By Louisville, do you mean downtown? You don't have to be specific, as in the company he will be working for. But to get you a drive time of 30 min or less, it would be easier to help you if you could give the general area.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:14 PM

The business is located off of Newburg Rd. Is that considered downtown? I haven't been there yet to look around. Thanks for your reply.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:28 AM

4,824 posts, read 13,222,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdingon View Post
The business is located off of Newburg Rd. Is that considered downtown? I haven't been there yet to look around. Thanks for your reply.
No, Newburg Rd is not downtown, but the good news is that it is one of the most convenient locations in Louisville, if a few minutes away from most anywhere your living criteria would focus towards. That's the good news, now the less than...

My wife and I live in Briar Hill. She works near I-64 & Hurstbourne Ln. We attend church just off I-64 & Cannons Ln. Both of which are 25 minute rides.

I would put a 30-45 minute commute (depending on traffic volume) from any home 5 minutes from either I-71 exit 14, 17, 18. Lots of great homes available in Oldham County's southwest quadrant.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:04 AM

Thank you for the information. My husband is currently used to a commute of that time, so that will be fine for him. We are coming from a situation where our church & shopping (grocery & retail) are 5 minutes away.
I am anxious to visit so that I can get a feel of the layout.
But really, to us, the most important factors are the schools. I can make adjustments to my "norm" to insure my kids are happy & in good schools.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onegr8mome View Post
Spencer County may be the place for you. The county was the last area surrounding Jefferson County to grow. In 1982 Taylorsville Lake was opened and with that new roads and better access into Jefferson County / Louisville. Since then the area has been the fastest growing in the state nearly every year. The area has a nice mix of residential developments and farmland. Not much to speak of on the commercial front, but to many that's not a bad thing.

If a semi country life style, land and home prices that are low relative to surrrounding areas, and good people interest you then you owe it to your self to take a look. Another tidbit for you. The county has a relatively large population of ex-buckeyes, many that have migrate south because of Ford.

I am an area Real Estate agent and born and raised in the county. I would be more that happy to give you a quick tour if you are interested.

Cordially

Brad Smith

Old 03-15-2011, 03:47 PM

6,848 posts, read 14,538,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brastenrapid View Post
Spencer County may be the place for you. The county was the last area surrounding Jefferson County to grow. In 1982 Taylorsville Lake was opened and with that new roads and better access into Jefferson County / Louisville. Since then the area has been the fastest growing in the state nearly every year. The area has a nice mix of residential developments and farmland. Not much to speak of on the commercial front, but to many that's not a bad thing.

If a semi country life style, land and home prices that are low relative to surrrounding areas, and good people interest you then you owe it to your self to take a look. Another tidbit for you. The county has a relatively large population of ex-buckeyes, many that have migrate south because of Ford.

I am an area Real Estate agent and born and raised in the county. I would be more that happy to give you a quick tour if you are interested.

Cordially

Brad Smith
Nice post and welcome. Remember, no private soliciting for business, though. I think the OP should consider all areas equally if she doesnt know where Newburg road is. I would rent for a few months in an area I had visited, then buy after she has explored the entire MSA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area