U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 08:34 PM

21 posts, read 25,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvmike911 View Post
Hi my name Micheal, just moved to Louisville from San Diego and Las Vegas before that. I agree the real estate market is tuff for people that have bad credit. I lost a home in Las Vegas because I got tierd of being the fool on the block that spent three times what the property was worth. I then moved to San Diego where rent ran from two to three thousand per month. I moved to Louisville to make a new start. Finding a place to live has been almost impossible. Im a RN for almost 21 years. I have a good job and my income is more than adequate. I just need someone who is trusting enough to give me a chance. Where do I go, where do I look. I am new here and could use some advice.
I'm sorry but based on your own words you are the reason some people with evictions out of their control have issues being trusted by landlords. You agreed to a contract and mortgage but when values dropped you choose to stop paying? Landlords are trying to avoid renting to people like you who decide not to stand by your word and those who had issues because of job lose that couldn't help it get painted with the same brush. If you could have kept payments up on your Las Vegas home but chose not to because values went down you have no one to blame but yourself. I know this sounds like I'm a jerk but people can count on me to stand by my words. I feel bad for people who were thrown curve balls in life and struggle to keep up but people who choose to default on payments because they decide to should be homeless. I don't know the situation and even still I wish you the best of luck. If I had investment property I would be willing to take a chance if someone had a good reason but values dropping is not one of them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 09:35 PM

2 posts, read 4,156 times
Default Harder Then Needed

I noticed that when I moved back to Louisville in 2008, that basic things that should be easy to get in a city are damn near impossible. I agree with those that talk about how hard it is to find a place to rent. I had to stay with my parents for a couple months before I was able to find my own apartment. In Louisville they make things more complicating then need be, from finding a place to live, buying a car, and finding a job. I had a job and a good rental history just had one leasing breaking and I got rejected left to right, I ended up having to take an apartment in the west end in a bad neighborhood just because nobody would give me a chance. It is frustrating when you cant even find a place to live and you have a job. Many of these communities act as though they are Beverly Hills status. I mean some want a app fee, administrative fee (still don't know what that is), deposit and a first months rent, and that doesn't even guarantee approval. I used to live in Nashville, and down there if your credit cant get it for you then all you need to do is go to the right spot and have some cash. You have no problems finding a place to live, or a car or even a job.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:39 AM

9,300 posts, read 5,086,631 times
This was back in 2011...wonder how things worked out for him?

Old 11-13-2014, 11:33 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 3,532,295 times
Louisville landlord/tenant law is based on the URLTA (uniform residential landlord/tenant act) which gives tenants more rights than in a lot of other KY counties. That's part of the reason why landlords are pickier. I'm considering renting out my condo, but would want the security deposit to be 3 months rent. And how likely is it I would find a tenant who wants to give me that much of a security deposit? I would probably have to show it to a lot of prospective tenants, before I would find one who would actually want it enough to pay that much. But I don't really want to get in the landlord business, because I would probably end up wasting a lot of time and not getting much net income from it, after covering all the expenses.

I have a choice between renting out my condo, selling it, renting out my house in another county, selling that, or keeping both, which would be wasteful. I think renting out my house, in a county where the URLTA doesn't apply, is probably my best choice. Of course there are other factors, such as where I would rather live, etc., but location is less important to me than to most people.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:51 PM

1 posts, read 781 times
I agree that Louisville is not fair. If you look at some of the apts you think you would get one because they are run down. People hanging out but landlord wants perfect people. They need to see the real game and give people with good income a chance especially when trying to start a family and landlords look at you like your crazy. Please help

Old 10-02-2015, 11:57 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 3,532,295 times
Why not offer them 3 months security deposit? If it's an individual renting out a house or a room, that's almost always enough to convince them, even if your credit is moderately bad. When you go to see the place, be clean and neatly dressed, and bring bank statements and credit reports. Explain your credit problems to them, and offer them 3 months security deposit to mitigate those problems. Above all, don't lie or evade any issues. Lying and evading are the most important things landlords look for.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:27 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,940,293 times
Wow . . . I wished I lived in an area where landlords were this discerning. I live around a lot of where the big rental conglomerate in L'Ville that starts with a "B" has rentals ~ they invite students and deadbeats due to the profit margins associated with those rentals. Some years they hold our neighborhood hostage with their tenants. So, if I was looking for rentals and had a less-than-desirable background, I would focus my search on companies that specialized in student rentals. I/we would LOVE to have some quiet, clean people for neighbors!

Old 10-08-2015, 09:02 AM

82 posts, read 85,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek233 View Post
I'm currently looking for a 2br home or apartment for rent. However I have an eviction from 2006 due to a messy divorce that resulted in rent checks being bounced. Long story short, there was a judgment against me and I paid it full.

Sadly, I'm finding that just having an eviction has earned me quite a few rejections from several places. I've been up front and honest about my situation, but it hasn't got me anywhere. I have a solid work history and make decent money. I just need a safe place for myself and my 5 yr old son.

I'm running out of options as I'm basically living on craigslist waiting for something to come up that looks ok and will accept me as a tenant.

I do not have anyone to co sign for me so that is not an option. I'm risking being homeless soon if I can't find something fairly quickly.

Anyone know of any private owned apartment buildings or houses that would bypass a credit check or overlook an eviction?

Thanks in advance...
Take a second job or loan if necessary and save up money so that you can offer to pre-pay as much rent as possible. An extra security deposit will definitely also be necessary. If that is impossible you have to look for a shared housing situation where the renter has already passed a credit check or find someone to share a home you find together and keep your credit out of it. Maybe another single parent....

Old 11-11-2015, 08:10 PM

1 posts, read 658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Wow . . . I wished I lived in an area where landlords were this discerning. I live around a lot of where the big rental conglomerate in L'Ville that starts with a "B" has rentals ~ they invite students and deadbeats due to the profit margins associated with those rentals. Some years they hold our neighborhood hostage with their tenants. So, if I was looking for rentals and had a less-than-desirable background, I would focus my search on companies that specialized in student rentals. I/we would LOVE to have some quiet, clean people for neighbors!
I haven't thought about that, I will try. I guess when you see 'college' you don't think about the people who TRULY live there year in and year out.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:06 AM

9,300 posts, read 5,086,631 times
I know that bad things happen to good people and all that, but you know if you put yourself in the place of the person renting to you, if I were a homeowner renting out property of mine, I would be hesitant to rent out to someone who has prior evictions or really bad credit - I mean that is how they make their income, and if you are at a high risk of not paying your rent (I know you wouldn't want to work for an employer that had a history of not paying his employees - and from what I have heard from people who rent out, once the tenant doesn't pay rent... it can take you up to two/three months to have them evicted and start renting out again....that is really a big chunk of money out of your income.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area