U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 04:03 PM

17 posts, read 62,833 times

Advertisements

There's a chance my husband will take a job near the Louisville airport on Enterprise Drive. We're not familiar with Louisville at all and would love to know more about the area.

We're coming from Pittsburgh and have two small kids (toddler and baby). Not too concerned about public schools.

We'll probably rent before we'd buy, but when we do buy, we'd like a 3-4 brm, 1.5-2 bath house with $150k at the top of our range.

A short (as in, 15 minutes or less) commute would be ideal for us. I'm looking at Zillow and Google Maps and on other threads on here to get a sense of some neighborhoods.

Tell me, would Kenwood Hill, South Park, Fairdale, Hollyvilla, or Prairie Village be worth a look? We might be able to make a quick drive over and I want to know which areas to scope out.

The most important things to us are a safe area (of course), super short commute, reasonable proximity to libraries, parks and fun things. I don't care about being close to a Target or a mall or whatnot.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 08:25 PM

5,093 posts, read 5,991,019 times
you can live as far as northern Bullitt county or along I-64 on the Eastside and still make it to the airport within 15 minutes. You don't have to live within 5 miles of the airport (in Louisville) to ensure that you'll have a short commute. I'd suggest expanding your search and provide some school choices and price ranges for us to give you more accurate feedback on those neighborhoods you already mentioned.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:29 PM

Houses priced $130-150k would likely fit our budget. We are probably homeschooling which is why I am not as concerned with schools, but of course a better school district could help resale value or if homeschooling plans change.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:46 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,677,876 times
i would look further east. most of those areas you mentioned have a stigma of being "redneck". a stigma that might not be entirely untrue. you can reach the airport in 15 min from many areas of louisville. if you want proximity to parks and fun things, maybe the highlands/st. matthews areas. both are safe places with decent schools.

I would recommend the highlands or crescent hill as my first two choices. to me they are the most fun, walkable, safe neighborhoods and are generally filled with nice, educated, cool and open-minded people. both would be in your commute range (the highlands being a little closer).

i live close to south park and fairdale and it's not really a place i would recommend anyone to move to. it"s not exactly high crime, just a little on the trashy side, imo.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:48 PM

4,244 posts, read 6,595,155 times
Kenwood Hill is hardly redneck...this is a rather nice area...and neither is most of Prairie Village.

You have to look at individual neighborhoods within the larger South End /Southwest County. If you plan on home schooling you can find some nice places close in, vs travelling out to Bullit or to the East End.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:46 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,543,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
i would look further east. most of those areas you mentioned have a stigma of being "redneck". a stigma that might not be entirely untrue. you can reach the airport in 15 min from many areas of louisville. if you want proximity to parks and fun things, maybe the highlands/st. matthews areas. both are safe places with decent schools.

I would recommend the highlands or crescent hill as my first two choices. to me they are the most fun, walkable, safe neighborhoods and are generally filled with nice, educated, cool and open-minded people. both would be in your commute range (the highlands being a little closer).

i live close to south park and fairdale and it's not really a place i would recommend anyone to move to. it"s not exactly high crime, just a little on the trashy side, imo.
First of all, thank you for not sugar-coating your answer. IMO, the minimum we owe people who are asking for our advice is an honest answer.

Second, I agree with your opinion about all the neighborhoods you mention. Personally, I'd also go with the Highlands.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:21 AM

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

Took a quick look on Zillow at 3 bedroom/2 bath houses under $150k in The Highlands or Crescent Hill. Um. There aren't any.

The area seems nice, but way out of my price range.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:38 AM

4,824 posts, read 13,551,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reisoohyinzer View Post
Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

Took a quick look on Zillow at 3 bedroom/2 bath houses under $150k in The Highlands or Crescent Hill. Um. There aren't any.

The area seems nice, but way out of my price range.
I live in Oldham County, but have much experience with the 40214 zip code. I happily endorse 40214, but you've got to watch out for some of the area's extremely rough blocks. At issue for anyone of your age would be the purchase of a home in an area that has already seen debilitation prior to the real estate market turn in 2008-9-10. You could run into resale issues if the area continues to deteriorate. Otherwise, I would be ok with Kenwood hill and most of the area around.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:02 AM

Future resale potential is important of course.

Several people have mentioned Kenwood Hill is ok. Can you tell me the areas in the vicinity to definitely avoid? Are these "don't buy a house here" avoid, or "don't go here, period" avoid?

And is anything besides Kenwood Hill ok in that area?

Should I consider looking in Indiana as well?

Having a short commute is really important to us. My husband's commute right now in Pittsburgh is 45-60 minutes on the train and it stinks. We'd love something that's 10-20 minutes tops, in traffic.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:29 AM

4,244 posts, read 6,595,155 times
You could look at the newer subdivisions off of Palataka Road and Manslick Road, south of Iroqouis Park and to the west of Kenwood Hill area. Particularly the ones in the hills west of Manslick Road and further out off St Anthony Church Road (might be getting too far for you). Or the plats between Old Third Street Road and Manslick Road...these are older (1960s or so), but might be OK.

I wouldn't look north of Iroquouis Park. However, there's a nice area just north of Kenwood Hill, along Seneca and Esplanade Avenues, which is nice. Older homes but big lots and a lot of trees (this would be east of 3rd Street). Parts of Beechmont (south of the Watterson along Southern Parkway) are also OK, still. This is closer in town (older houses), but I think you'd be close to the airport, hence less commuting time.

Further to the west, more toward Valley Station, I'd look at Prairie Village, Windsor Forest and subdvisions off Arnoldtown Road, also: Timothy Hills, Stoneridge, etc...essentially the subdivisions north of Old Third Street Road).

For this "Valley Station" area (east of Dixie Hwy) I'd avoid Hidden Valley, Villa Anna and maybe some of the subdivisions off Deering Road and Grafton Hall Road, south of Valley Station Road.

Also, if you can find a place in your price range, backwoods living on a large lot or mini-farm along Blevins Gap, Scotts Gap and Bearcamp Roads out in the Jefferson Memorial Forest. These areas are partly in Fairdale, but are not quite as redneck as some parts of Fairdale further east.

For areas closer to the airport I would avoid subdivisions off of Outer Loop .

Travel time that is really close to the airport wont land you in nice areas as that area is sort of a redneck/industrial area, so you are going to have to drive a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area