Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2011, 03:12 PM

8 posts, read 14,433 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to louisville at the end of March and are currently seeking out where we will be spending our Sunday mornings. I was hoping some of the people here would be able to point me in the right direction and spare me from having to attend too many services before we find the church that is right for us.

What we love about our current church:
1. Isn't too crowded. It isn't small by any means but it was about 100 people on a given sunday(more on easter). While I like the message of South Eastern Christian Church in Louisville, I don't really want to be part of that large of a church.

2.Community Oriented

3.Great Music

4. Groups/Activities/Sports. Whether it was softball or volleyball, Mens group or women's Bible study. There is always something to do with the church outside of the church.

5.Most importantly the message: Looking for a church that doesn't take itself too seriously. One that doesn't constantly preach about getting more people saved and spreading the word(in my opinion that can sometimes be viewed as only getting new members, i.e. more money). A church that talks about the struggles of daily life and being a christian, not constantly "becoming a christian". A church that you leave feeling good about yourself not beaten down by how sinful you are. A church that doesn't judge you because you have beer or wine at a event or a party. Church that doesn't constantly preach about sin.

Are there any like that in Louisville? BTW Will be living in St. Matthews
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 05:03 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,312,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj224 View Post
My family and I are moving to louisville at the end of March and are currently seeking out where we will be spending our Sunday mornings. I was hoping some of the people here would be able to point me in the right direction and spare me from having to attend too many services before we find the church that is right for us.

What we love about our current church:
1. Isn't too crowded. It isn't small by any means but it was about 100 people on a given sunday(more on easter). While I like the message of South Eastern Christian Church in Louisville, I don't really want to be part of that large of a church.

2.Community Oriented

3.Great Music

4. Groups/Activities/Sports. Whether it was softball or volleyball, Mens group or women's Bible study. There is always something to do with the church outside of the church.

5.Most importantly the message: Looking for a church that doesn't take itself too seriously. One that doesn't constantly preach about getting more people saved and spreading the word(in my opinion that can sometimes be viewed as only getting new members, i.e. more money). A church that talks about the struggles of daily life and being a christian, not constantly "becoming a christian". A church that you leave feeling good about yourself not beaten down by how sinful you are. A church that doesn't judge you because you have beer or wine at a event or a party. Church that doesn't constantly preach about sin.

Are there any like that in Louisville? BTW Will be living in St. Matthews
I will only share that my wife and I are thrilled with St. Matthews Baptist Church. We are a doctrinally moderate, racially diverse congregation of people descending from every continent, musically involved (you should hear the monster organ tamed by Rebecca or the orchestra, choir, or praise music of the early service. We sponsor Upward Basketball, several athletic, drama, and academic teams.

You and your opinion will count. Your faith will not be challenged, but it will be nurtured.

We don't ignore sin, but rather focus on Hope. It's a modern sermon style with video and theatrical examples to explain points. For example, today's sermon included an example of how escaping from a straight-jacket is not about knowing the trick, but rather about knowing the truth. And, everyone received a symbolic "chain." The chain representing how we are tied like an elephant to our fears, our lack of trust, etc.

I believe that if every church was like St. Matthews Baptist, while certainly not a perfect congregation, nor a church without hypocrites, Christianity would truly be seen as the hope of the world rather than the bane so many have decided we are.

Only, you can decide, but the only way you'll be able to decide is to come check it out for yourself. You can ask for me. I am Tom Cox. Oh, yeah, by the way, my wife of 4 years is joining with me as I return to SMBC after being away for 8 years. I left in shame because of a divorce I didn't seek or want, but you know what, a few months ago when I reopened that door, I didn't know how I would be received. SMBC said with smiles that only love can mean that not only were we wanted back, our return was celebrated.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:19 PM

8 posts, read 14,433 times
Thanks I went to a Baptist church as a teenager and I loved it. I will check it out for sure.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:09 PM

4 posts, read 6,319 times
Default Try Sojourn

They are located on Westport Rd and are very involved in the St. Matthews community, one of the things they are known for. Sojourn is a relatively young church (10 years), lots of kids, good music, and preach what they believe. I have been going for 5 years, and have really enjoyed the people I have met and love the preaching.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:39 AM

2 posts, read 4,583 times
My husband and I attend Valley View and we absolutely love. There is many things that they do in the community. There are programs for children and the adults. They have various sports leagues for adults and youth. We have dinner's every Wednesday before service and there are three different services on Sundays. Pastor Joel is wonderful. There are many children and they have life group for all ages and needs. The music is great as well. Please give us a try! Valleyviewchurch.org is the website. We are located at 8911 Third Street Road

Old 03-23-2011, 08:35 AM

17 posts, read 38,240 times
My wife and I attended Westport Road Church of Christ the last two Sundays while visiting Louisville, and we loved it.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,701 times
Highland Presbyterian in the Highlands is a terrific church that meets all of your loves. [url=http://www.hpc-lou.org/]Highland Presbyterian Church[/url] It's about a 10 minute drive from St. Matthews straight down Lexington Rd.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:48 AM

17 posts, read 59,199 times
I go to Westport Rd. Church of Christ and love it there, but we don't have a lot of outside activities going on...I definitely think you should give Sojourn a try, too, if you haven't already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area