Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 07:03 PM

353 posts, read 503,937 times

Advertisements

I've heard that Louisville is actually a very Catholic city and tends to lean to the left. Is that true for Jefferson County and the wider metro area or is that just Old Louisville and the East End? Which areas are best for conservative evangelicals? I'd guess Anchorage, Springhurt, and St. Matthews--am I wrong?

Old 05-15-2007, 07:33 PM

301 posts, read 1,371,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlings View Post
I've heard that Louisville is actually a very Catholic city and tends to lean to the left. Is that true for Jefferson County and the wider metro area or is that just Old Louisville and the East End? Which areas are best for conservative evangelicals? I'd guess Anchorage, Springhurt, and St. Matthews--am I wrong?
Louisville is actually very Catholic for a Southern city, though it is no where near as Catholic as New Orleans or Houston. St. Matthews is the first to mind when I think leftist. The Southend is definantly the most conservative area of the state.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:20 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,743,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlings View Post
Those areas you listed have people who are all highly educated, wealthy, and at best neutral. There is nothing "evangelical" about anchorage lol. They are conservative in that they are Republican but that is because they are rich and know who pays the bills! Many in the east suburbs attend Southeast Christian, which is not evangelical but is mighty borderline. It is one of those mega stadium churches.

The city of Louisville itself is quite liberal in many parts. From Wikipedia:

"Old Louisville is one of the most liberal neighborhoods in Louisville, as evidenced by the General Election results in 2004, where it voted for John Kerry by a 60% margin and against a proposal to amend the state constitution to define marriage as "between one man and one woman" by a 66% margin (the proposal passed 75% to 25% in Kentucky)."

The south suburbs, especially Bullitt County, have a few evangelicals, but nothing like the deep south. The south and sw side of the metro are more conservative Christians and Baptists. Louisville is still somewhat of a major city, has a decent immigrant population, and enough transplants that I can't think of anywhere that is chock full of evangelicals. There is even a decent Catholic prescence in the south side of the County, with several Catholic grade schools as well as two Catholic high schools.

Slugger is right, Louisville has less Catholics than New Orleans (a French Catholic city), but it still has more per capita than almost any other southern city.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisvilleslugger View Post
Louisville is actually very Catholic for a Southern city, though it is no where near as Catholic as New Orleans or Houston. St. Matthews is the first to mind when I think leftist. The Southend is definantly the most conservative area of the state.

The south end of Louisville is no where NEAR as conservative as 90% of KY!

Old 05-16-2007, 10:58 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,791,652 times
The Mayor (or what passes for a Mayor here) is Jewish and wins by a landslide every time he runs. No where else in Kentucky would that happen, imo. I even think Kerry carried Jefferson County or came very close in 2004. No question Louisville is more progessive than the rest of the state.

I can't think of any area that would qualify as conservative evangelical. And Stx is right about Anchorage - conservative, yes; evangelical, no.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:31 AM

283 posts, read 1,026,086 times
What is the difference between 'conservative' and 'evangelical'? I thought evangelical was conservative?

I have to say, I am starting to get a little worried that the whole area (even Lexington) will be too conservative for us. We're not 'activists' in any sense, but we are very much 'live and let live'. We believe in evolution and are not religious, because in my experience so many religions teach things that to me are blatantly racist or otherwise discriminatory to some groups of people.

My kids were raised to think this way and they would not do well with hearing racial slurs at school, for instance (they would probably leap to defend whoever the target was). They have never been in that kind of environment. They believe in equality of all people, all races, colors, genders, sexual orientation etc. and they have been exposed to all these groups of people here.

Some of our beliefs (in terms of religion) border on agnostic, but still, I was hoping to find a liberal protestant church (definitely not Catholic or anything with "Baptist" in the name) in the Lexington area. Am I dreaming?

PS And we are definitely a democratic family, in terms of politics (no surprise there) although we are not activists politically either. Again, just live and let live, and be able to enjoy and learn from people's different backgrounds and cultures.

Old 05-16-2007, 01:16 PM

216 posts, read 1,185,556 times
Default A state of contrast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ic-epi View Post
What is the difference between 'conservative' and 'evangelical'? I thought evangelical was conservative?

I have to say, I am starting to get a little worried that the whole area (even Lexington) will be too conservative for us. We're not 'activists' in any sense, but we are very much 'live and let live'. We believe in evolution and are not religious, because in my experience so many religions teach things that to me are blatantly racist or otherwise discriminatory to some groups of people.

My kids were raised to think this way and they would not do well with hearing racial slurs at school, for instance (they would probably leap to defend whoever the target was). They have never been in that kind of environment. They believe in equality of all people, all races, colors, genders, sexual orientation etc. and they have been exposed to all these groups of people here.

Some of our beliefs (in terms of religion) border on agnostic, but still, I was hoping to find a liberal protestant church (definitely not Catholic or anything with "Baptist" in the name) in the Lexington area. Am I dreaming?

PS And we are definitely a democratic family, in terms of politics (no surprise there) although we are not activists politically either. Again, just live and let live, and be able to enjoy and learn from people's different backgrounds and cultures.

Hi Ic-Epi. I definitely understand where you are coming from. That is the way my husband and I have raised our children also. I too initially had concerns that anywhere in the "bible belt" might be too conservative for us. We currently live in an area that is very diverse, and only 30% of the population even attend church.

However, I have made peace with living in Kentucky, especially the more urban areas. There are others like us, I'm sure, and I also think it's important for my children to be able to understand/relate to those who are not like us. We don't want to change KY, only to embrace the culture, beauty and attitude, and let it become part of who we are.

One of the facinating things about the state is how much of contrast there is, and how completely obvious that contrast is. It's in the bible belt, and yet bourbon, tobacco, and gambling (horse racing) are huge. A state like that must be interesting to live in!

Old 05-16-2007, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ic-epi View Post

I know of some liberal Protestant churches in Lexington. They are out there. Lexington is pretty conservative outside the University, though.

Old 05-17-2007, 07:01 PM

301 posts, read 1,371,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
The south end of Louisville is no where NEAR as conservative as 90% of KY!
In relation to the rest of Louisville is what I was getting at. Louisville like every major urban area of over 500,000 is more Liberal/Democratic than their rural counter parts in the of their state's.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:34 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,311,771 times
As this discussion has tip-toed around the subject, I would invite anyone with an objection to evangelical faith to examine those denominations much closer. I don't want to, nor I believe this is the place for such a discussion, but I am deeply saddened when I see the condemnation some people have toward evangelicals as a generalization. Quite remarkably, the majority of evangelicals are very decent people who happen to also be very likeable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area