Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 03:21 PM

24 posts, read 61,801 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the info - very useful. I am really looking forward to getting out of a heavily urban area - I currently teach in Detroit - and getting to a nicer, quieter area. May not find a full time teaching job there, but then I am not sure I want to do that any longer. With my husband's new job and the lower cost of living, we're really looking forward to my being a "part-timer."

I don't mind one wee bit having to take a drive to get to Costco if the trade-off is living a little less packed in, that's for sure.

I hope the area is welcoming to a northerner!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 04:14 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,092,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enli View Post
As long as you are decent and don't tell the locals how much better it was where you come from, you should do just fine A friend of mine just got her teaching license and she is having a hard time finding work in Bullitt County just so you know.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:35 PM

24 posts, read 61,801 times
I'm retiring so finding full time work isn't an issue, but I am certified in all of the sciences (high school level) with a Masters and also teach computers, do robotics, do Yearbook, etc. so if I really wanted to work, I'm betting I could find something somewhere not too far off. I'd really prefer a change of pace and am definitely not looking for full time high school teaching again at this point. I'm kind of burnt out.

Believe me - I'm not moving there because I think MI is better than KY. I want out of MI so badly it makes my teeth grind. I'm looking forward to it more than I can say - it looks so darned beautiful there!

Old 04-09-2009, 07:33 PM

87 posts, read 267,530 times
i think a map of the neighborhoods might be beneficial to many readers. as a new resident in the area, i can say that i had no idea what nieghborhoods were where when i was looking for a new home. some of them are well labeled on maps, but some aren't. to me, it's similar to chicago. chicago has so many neighborhoods...only some of which are labeled truly on a map.

i think this would be beneficial to many possible new residents if anyone has one or can put one together.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:50 AM

69 posts, read 203,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
From LaGrange or Crestwood, there is an express TARC (urban bus) route to Downtown. My daughter-in-law loves it

That's good to know. What does she pay per month to ride the bus, do you know?

Old 04-19-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enli View Post
Thanks for the info - very useful. I am really looking forward to getting out of a heavily urban area - I currently teach in Detroit - and getting to a nicer, quieter area. May not find a full time teaching job there, but then I am not sure I want to do that any longer. With my husband's new job and the lower cost of living, we're really looking forward to my being a "part-timer."

I don't mind one wee bit having to take a drive to get to Costco if the trade-off is living a little less packed in, that's for sure.

Good luck to you, Enli! I am planning on moving there from Michigan myself. I have begun applying for jobs in Louisville.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:29 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,756,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence425 View Post
i think a map of the neighborhoods might be beneficial to many readers. as a new resident in the area, i can say that i had no idea what nieghborhoods were where when i was looking for a new home. some of them are well labeled on maps, but some aren't. to me, it's similar to chicago. chicago has so many neighborhoods...only some of which are labeled truly on a map.

i think this would be beneficial to many possible new residents if anyone has one or can put one together.
In the original city ALONE, there are at least 68 neighborhoods. When you include all of Jefferson county, there are hundreds of neighborhoods, suburbs, and unicorporated places. This list is good, and when you click the name of the hood, it should often have a link to a map of the hood at the bottom of the article (the maps are linked from Lojic where you can also find maps):

Louisville neighborhoods - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This list only includes the historic neighborhoods, and no suburbs or unicorporated areas:

http://www.ecentral.com/louisvillemaps/

Old 04-20-2009, 05:05 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,318,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honesty1022 View Post
That's good to know. What does she pay per month to ride the bus, do you know?
I am sorry that I don't know here exact cost to ride TARC. Please check: TARC: Fares & Passes. I believe standard rates apply.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
I am sorry that I don't know here exact cost to ride TARC. Please check: TARC: Fares & Passes. I believe standard rates apply.
Thanks, Tom, I'll do that.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,122 times
I am moving to Louisville in June. I have 4 children, 3 are in school. Elementary, middle and High School. Can you guys tell me what the best schools are there? I want to make sure they get a good education, but I also want to make sure that there is not a high rate of violence in the schools. Any ideas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area