U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2011, 05:24 PM

3 posts, read 6,186 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I will be going down to Louisville next week to look at apartments, but before I set up appointments, there were a couple things I wanted to know about the different neighborhoods. While our ideal spot in which to live would be the Highlands or Crescent Hill area, we also know those are a little more expensive than the other neighborhoods.

I had heard that Butchertown was a pretty safe area, but I also heard that during the summer it reeks because of the meat factories around there. Where exactly does the smell come from (streets/intersections) and how far does that smell travel? Is it an overwhelming odor everywhere in Butchertown?

Old Louisville also has a lot of apartments that are much cheaper than the Highlands and still look very beautiful (at least in photos), but I have heard that this neighborhood can get a little shady. How safe/unsafe is the neighborhood? Is it mostly car break-ins that happen in the area, or are there a lot of apartment break-ins or face to face attacks?

Just as a reference, my boyfriend and I are in our early/mid 20s and are looking for a place where we could safely walk during the daytime alone, and hopefully be safe walking together at night. I'm not naive enough to expect to be able to safely walk in a big city alone at night, but we would like to be able to go out on the weekends together without worrying about driving a car to a bar or getting mugged on our walk back. Is this feasible in Old Louisville, or should we stick to looking in the Highlands?

Thanks for your help!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 06:53 PM

3 posts, read 6,186 times
OH! I forgot about one more question! Is Bowman Field near Seneca Park a very loud area, or is it mostly small planes that don't make much noise?

Old 03-29-2011, 06:53 PM

797 posts, read 2,114,954 times
My girlfriend and I (mid/late 20's) just got an apartment in Old Louisville. The area has some interesting characters hanging around on the street, but they seem to be the harmless kind. By and large though, the neighborhood is really nice and walking around during daylight hours should be no problem at all. It does, however, border a rougher area to the west so although I wouldn't tell you to stay indoors at night, I would say be a little extra cautious and don't wonder around alone as a young female.

There are a handful of restaurants and bars in Old Louisville, but not as many or in as high a concentration as you would find in the Highlands. From our place, it is about a 1.5 mile walk to the 4th street Live area though if you are willing to walk (stumble?) that far.

If you are further worried about safety, some of the apartments in the area offer underground secure parking and secured entrance at the main entrance to the building. If you are interested, let me know what price range you are working in and the type of apartment (ie modern, classic, size, etc) you are looking for and I might be able to suggest a few places to go look at.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:52 PM

6,877 posts, read 14,706,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetNeurotic View Post
OH! I forgot about one more question! Is Bowman Field near Seneca Park a very loud area, or is it mostly small planes that don't make much noise?
Small planes, quiet. Great park nearby. Its not the most walkable part of the highlands, though.

To answer your original question, I think there are some other "nodes" you need to look at.

In Butchertown, consider Washington and Franklin streets. The smell is only bad on warm humid days, but this is much of the summer depending on winds. The plant is Swift, and to my knowledge, this is one of the last remianing large urban meat packing districts.

Also in that vicinity, is "Nulu" which is the east Market area around Market street and Campbell. To the south of this is a new mixed income community, Liberty Green, which has really cleaned the area up.

Also, in the heart of downtown, you have Main street near the arena and also 4th street from the river to Broadway.

In Old Louisville, center your search around St James court and Belgravia court....the closer, the better.

In the Highlands, "parkside" is better, but also much more expensive. In general, the further away from Bardstown and the closer to the park, the more single family and expensive the homes are. The area near Seneca Park is much more family oriented. The highlands close to the nodes of Baxter and Highland and also Bardstown and Bonnycastle are the young pofessional nodes.

Be sure to search up and down Frankfort and all its cross streets in the Cliftonw and Crescent Hill areas.

Also, you need to look at Germantown. Check out places like Nachbar and Eiderdown and also search side streets near Eastern Parkway. A good street to drive is Texas for nice, safe, rentable single family bungalows. Also nearby the area known as Audubon Park is a great area.

Don't forget the heart of St Matthews. Search the entire area and all the cross streets where Breckenridge, Shelbyville, Frankfort, Chenoweth Lane, and Lexington Road meet. All of these streets have nice 1940s and 50s area single family rentable and buyable homes with great resales. This area is the most "yuppie" of all.

Also, check out Woodlawn Ave in Beechmont. Not too exciting of an area, but I love Sunergo's coffee there.

Other up and coming albeit "small townish" urban areas are downtown New Albany, centered around Pearl and Market, and also Pearl Street in Jeffersonville IN.

As an FYI, with regards to the Highalnds, this seems to be a reputable landlord and nice property located where the Highlands becomes Phoenix Hill and Paristown Pointe:

http://louisville.craigslist.org/apa/2245552238.html (broken link)

Also, in general, avoid Broadway Management Group...they can be slumlords.

Last edited by Peter1948; 03-29-2011 at 09:22 PM..

Old 03-30-2011, 05:06 PM

25,200 posts, read 36,140,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetNeurotic View Post
My boyfriend and I will be going down to Louisville next week to look at apartments, but before I set up appointments, there were a couple things I wanted to know about the different neighborhoods. While our ideal spot in which to live would be the Highlands or Crescent Hill area, we also know those are a little more expensive than the other neighborhoods.

I had heard that Butchertown was a pretty safe area, but I also heard that during the summer it reeks because of the meat factories around there. Where exactly does the smell come from (streets/intersections) and how far does that smell travel? Is it an overwhelming odor everywhere in Butchertown?

Old Louisville also has a lot of apartments that are much cheaper than the Highlands and still look very beautiful (at least in photos), but I have heard that this neighborhood can get a little shady. How safe/unsafe is the neighborhood? Is it mostly car break-ins that happen in the area, or are there a lot of apartment break-ins or face to face attacks?

Just as a reference, my boyfriend and I are in our early/mid 20s and are looking for a place where we could safely walk during the daytime alone, and hopefully be safe walking together at night. I'm not naive enough to expect to be able to safely walk in a big city alone at night, but we would like to be able to go out on the weekends together without worrying about driving a car to a bar or getting mugged on our walk back. Is this feasible in Old Louisville, or should we stick to looking in the Highlands?

Thanks for your help!
I'm strongly considering moving to Old Louisville in the summer, from the exurbs. I heard mostly from Louisvillians that car-break ins are the main problem in Old Louisville along with a few drunks and bums but if you come from a big city you know the rules of walking around. Also, everyone has told me to stick to the 40208 zip code b/c 40203 (which some part adversities as Old Louisville) has pretty high car insurance rates.

MissingIndiana, if you wanna help I'd be interested in a complex with off street parking for under $450 if possible and cheaper is better available around July or August.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:39 PM

797 posts, read 2,114,954 times
Alanboy, I'll send you a PM. I know of one place that might work for you

Old 04-02-2011, 09:04 AM

1,197 posts, read 1,594,820 times
i lived at first and ormsby for a few years before i was married, and i saw hookers on my block on a regular basis. also know of several people getting mugged in old lou. over the years. as a single guy, i was never afraid of living there but i just wouldn't feel comfortable having my wife live there. then again, these are just my experiences. other people like it. i have friends that live there and havn't had problems.

walking at night in old louisville might not be the safest thing to do.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:49 AM

11,022 posts, read 22,472,784 times
I lived in Old Louisville from Dec 2004 to July 2008. Main problems are car breaks in and (therefore) really high car insurance rates. In the crime section of the CJ I'd see robberies sometimes, personally I walked and bike there a lot and never had any problems.

Best areas: between 2nd and 6th streets south of Oak Street. (omit Reeser Pl on 4th Street!)
Marginal areas: north of Oak Street, along 1st and Brook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area