Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 10:55 PM

77 posts, read 205,859 times

Advertisements

Please!
My wife will be working at the Iowa U South university in New Albany. Would love some suggestions of general areas to live. Would prefer under a 30 minute commute, or am I dreaming?
No kids, 2 dogs, more homebodies than go-outers, happier with older construction, smaller than larger house, probably $140K buying range?
Is downtown in the "historic" areas of New Albany desireable?

What about rentals? We aren't opposed, got pets though....

Also... here's the secrets part..
Best local news TV station?
Meteorologist?
Local nature spots?
River surprises?
Best restaurants? We like everything! (Where to go for pho?)
Any good oriental grocery stores?
best grocery stores for price & selection?
Best route across the river?
Any flat water kayaking canoeing trip suggestions?
Dog parks?
Greenway walks or day hike areas? Heard something about a monastery
with 20 miles of hiking trails?
Good movie theaters? Affordable local entertainment?

Yeah, I'm asking a lot, and I wholeheartedly thank anyone who replies!
We are coming from the Triangle area of NC around July sometime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 07:49 AM

59 posts, read 140,169 times
Um, dont think Iowa U south is in N'albany. There is Indiana University Southeast (Grant line High).

Old 04-01-2011, 08:44 AM

Oops, my bad. Got any tips or suggestions to contribute?

Old 04-01-2011, 11:04 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
My only secret is Indi's @ 11th and Broadway has the best fried chicken you have ever tasted.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:03 PM

Thanks! That's now on my list!

Old 04-02-2011, 07:44 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,908,986 times
downtown new albany is a little on the trashy side, especially the west end. i would avoid it at all costs.
the number one thing about new albany is rich-o's public house/new albanian brewing co. off of grant line road. this place is world famous for it's beer selection and pizza!(just don't order light beer or any domestics like bud or miller, they don't serve them!) even if your not into craft beer, the food is good and lots of cool, open minded people from all walks of life hang out there.

toast on market in new albany is a great place for breakfast, but you might have to wait for a table. that's about all i know of indianaland. i graduated from new albany high but moved to louisville several years ago. good luck.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:43 AM

yes, richos has got great food and awesome beer selection.I always liked channel 11 Whas for my news. Falls of the Ohio park in Clarksville is pretty cool, youve also got Henryville forestry not that far away. Best route across the river would be to buy your own hovercraft. Crossing the bridges sucks(any of them). As far as canoeing goes, I always went to cave country canoes in Milltown ,Indiana. Lots of fun! I do know in the summer that Jeffersonville and New Albany have free concerts on the river stages. Hope this Helps some.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:52 AM

Love craft beer! and breakfast! Thanks!

Old 04-03-2011, 10:16 AM

205 posts, read 587,510 times
Default Monastery

There is the St. Meinrad Archabbey in St. Menrad, IN, about a hour down I-64, pretty drive through the Hoosier National Forest. Saint Meinrad

I think there are also some in the Bardstown, KY area, also about an hour's drive from New Albany

Old 04-03-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyheel View Post
Love craft beer! and breakfast! Thanks!
Well then, I suggest trying The BBC (bluegrass brewing co) or sergios world of beers. Go see my good friend Todd at The Keg liquiors in Clarksville, he is a huge beer nut and can suggest some great ones he carries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area