U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 07:51 AM

4,824 posts, read 13,328,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
this may be true. people are friendly and cordial to your face. i have lived many places and have noticed a culture of talking badly about people when they are not around. i have never lived in a place as bad about this as louisville. i prefer honesty to my face, not everyone gets along, over false smiles and knives in back.

this is in no way a "bash louisville" post, just an observation by someone who has traveled a lot.
Then you must not be choosing the friends who care enough to invite you to church. Doesn't mean that churches don't have hypocrites, because on any given day, I qualify, but it does mean that hypocrites in church are in a place where like cancer, there is hope for a cure.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 04:58 PM

1,197 posts, read 1,600,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Then you must not be choosing the friends who care enough to invite you to church. Doesn't mean that churches don't have hypocrites, because on any given day, I qualify, but it does mean that hypocrites in church are in a place where like cancer, there is hope for a cure.
i don't see any mention of "church" in my post. I was comparing overall attitudes of the populace of places i have lived. what, exactly, does church have to do with it? unlike others, i don't judge or lump people into groups based on what they do or do not believe. your beliefs are your beliefs, who am i to question them? sometimes i just wish others respected MY beliefs as much as i respect theirs.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:37 PM

4,824 posts, read 13,328,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Louis Girl View Post
My husband's company might soon be transferred him to Louisville. I am starting the process of investigating neighborhoods, but it's a bit confusing...

My info:
- My husband will be working downtown. I don't know where I will wind up working, so that's not really a factor.
- We anticipate being in Louisville for at least a few years, and would like to buy a house. We would prefer to spend around $250K, but could go as high as $300K for the right house.
- My husband is accoustomed to a commute of about 15 - 20 minutes, and wouldn't tolerate much more than that.
- We have an elementary-school aged son. We'd like to find an area with a really good public school.
- We currently live in St. Louis, in an inner-ring suburb. We like being close to the city, but a bit outside it.
- We like to go out quite a bit, and would love to be near restaurants, bars, clubs, etc. as well as close to recreation for our son, such as parks, children's museums, zoo, etc.
- Definitely cake.

Also, we are not religious people, and do not attend church. We would like to move to a place where our neighbors would welcome heathens like us with open arms without trying to 'save' us. St. Louis is a pretty conservative city, but I fear Louisville will be even more conservative...
Err.... I do believe that the last paragraph does contain an anti-church comment. Then in a later in the thread there was a post with a negative comment about well meaning church people.

I am not a Bible thumper, I won't try to "save" you as you put it, but I don't mind having a conversation with you about the pros and cons of a religious lifestyle. No judgement on my part, but you did write a very judgemental comment against a lot of well meaning people. So, I attempted, and will continue to offer explanation when good people are unjustly demeaned.

I have lived in Kentucky all my life, and I can not ever remember being personally approached by someone trying to save my soul. I have invited friends to visit my church, but not until there was an indication of desire to be invited.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:28 PM

862 posts, read 1,517,144 times
Quote:
how would we be greeted if we knocked on doors with brochures saying "god is not real"? i would imagine after not so many doors that violence would ensue.lol.
Inviting somebody to curch is NOT the same as going up to the door and saying GOD IS REAL! or GOD IS NOT REAL!

I have been invited to churches before. I just politley say no thank you. I don't get my head bitten off and the neighbors still talk to me.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serate View Post
Inviting somebody to curch is NOT the same as going up to the door and saying GOD IS REAL! or GOD IS NOT REAL!

I have been invited to churches before. I just politley say no thank you. I don't get my head bitten off and the neighbors still talk to me.
First of all, no one was shouting, lol.
why not introduce yourself to your new neighbors and ask why they have no children, or how much their household income? I am simply making the point that inviting strangers to worship might seem like a friendly thing to do, but some people might find it to be quite presumptuous and rude. I would never assume upon introduction to bring my beliefs to the forefront of the conversation. and if i did, as i stated earlier, i think the reception would not be a polite "no thank you". this is not a forum for debate of these topics, so i will refrain from any further comment. I did not intend to offend, and i hope everyone enjoys the rest of their days in peace.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:05 PM

862 posts, read 1,517,144 times
Quote:
First of all, no one was shouting, lol.
why not introduce yourself to your new neighbors and ask why they have no children, or how much their household income? I am simply making the point that inviting strangers to worship might seem like a friendly thing to do, but some people might find it to be quite presumptuous and rude. I would never assume upon introduction to bring my beliefs to the forefront of the conversation. and if i did, as i stated earlier, i think the reception would not be a polite "no thank you". this is not a forum for debate of these topics, so i will refrain from any further comment. I did not intend to offend, and i hope everyone enjoys the rest of their days in peace.
FWIW you didn't offend me, and I'm sorry if I gave the impression that you did.

Sorry for the caps, didn't indicate mean to that anybody was shouting. It's just the comment was made that it was a bit much to be invited to church, and you responded with "how would we be greeted if we knocked on doors with brochures saying "god is not real"? i would imagine after not so many doors that violence would ensue.lol" That statement to me doesn't equal somebody asking you to church. apples and oranges

That being said, if somebody came to my door stating God wasn't real I personally wouldn't have a problem with that. To each his own. [Tho to tell you the truth, I rarely answer the door if it's not somebody I know. I'm rude like that. lol] It's only when anybody coming to the door - no matter religion, politics, sales, etc. - and tries to force their way into my house, or refuses to let me shut the door, THAT's when I have a problem, and "violence might ensue". :-)

Old 04-23-2011, 07:26 AM

agreed.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:31 AM

7 posts, read 18,022 times
This is an old thread and I see the Highlands has been suggested but additional considerations are Crescent Hill and Clifton.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:47 PM

3 posts, read 3,492 times
Put your son in private school, there is NO good public schools in louisville.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsEqualFTW View Post
Put your son in private school, there is NO good public schools in louisville.
that would be "there ARE no good public schools in louisville", or were you just trying to make a point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area