U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2011, 06:06 PM

43 posts, read 132,301 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I moved to Raleigh from Bowling Green, KY about a year and a half ago to live closer to family, but now I am thinking of moving back to Kentucky. I am an early 30's single female and feel really out of place in family-oriented Raleigh. I also hate suburbs and really miss Kentucky's hills and rivers. I never visited Louisville much when I lived in BG, but I have heard a lot about Louisville being artistic and "bohemian" and having a lot of beautiful old houses and buildings.

I am planning to come visit before I decide, but would love to hear any opinions about whether Louisville might be a better fit for me.
(btw I work with Kroger so I am thinking it would be possible for me to transfer my job)

Has anyone lived in both Louisville and Raleigh and could compare / contrast the two?

Is Louisville really very "bohemian", artsy, and liberal?

Are there art classes, co-ops, etc for artists?

Anyone know of any urban intentional communities, co-housing, communes - do things like this exist in Louisville?

Is there anyplace outdoors (a particular park maybe) where people hang out regularly - somewhere I could just go and have a picnic by myself and not be out of place?

How is Louisville for 30's+ singles? Are there a lot of other singles who are enjoying their lives (as opposed to being chronically sad and desperate)?

Any advice / opinions appreciated!!
Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 07:34 AM

39 posts, read 115,316 times
I think you would love certain parts of Louisville and be miserable in others. I've never lived in Raleigh, but have lived in DC/Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and Philly in the past 10 years. I'm not much older than you, but have a husband and kids, so my lifestyle is different.
That being said, you'd like Crescent hill/Clifton and the Highlands. Clifton is more up-and-coming than the established Highlands, but Frankfort Ave is hopping with stores, bars, and resturants. Both are the more artsy and liberal part of town. Mellwood Arts Center offers amazing studio space, galleries, and classes. Louisville is the Park City. I so missed that when we lived elsewhere. Cherokee is the biggest and best (a bit biased since I spent way too many sunny afternoons there in HS).
I work with several single 30-something women and dating seems to be an issue. Live here long enough and you'll feel like you've dated the entire city! Louisville is a pretty small town, esp since most people date w/in their socio/economic group. Meaning, you end up dating the friends and family of exs. Chances are, that's the case in most cities this size. I wouldn't want to be single and live here, but I wouldn't want to be single period (smile)!
Good lluck with your decision

Old 04-29-2011, 09:11 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,737,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cicada View Post
Hi everyone,

Has anyone lived in both Louisville and Raleigh and could compare / contrast the two?

Is Louisville really very "bohemian", artsy, and liberal?

Quite so in the Highlands. Clifton is a rising "bohemian" sort of neighborhood. Both nabes are quite beautiful, some of the most beautiful in the entire city.

The overall vibe of the city isn't as bohemian or artsy as, say, Asheville, or even Davis, CA or Austin, TX. However, the Highlands is the 2nd-most "granola" neighborhood I've visited in the U.S., the first being Haight-Ashbury in San Francisco.

Are there art classes, co-ops, etc for artists?

Don't know where exactly those would be since I'm not really even an artistic thinker. But, Louisville has 741,000 people and growing, so I guarantee you they exist.

Anyone know of any urban intentional communities, co-housing, communes - do things like this exist in Louisville?

Ditto last answer

Is there anyplace outdoors (a particular park maybe) where people hang out regularly - somewhere I could just go and have a picnic by myself and not be out of place?

Cherokee Park and Seneca Park in the Highlands area would be your best bets. Other contenders could be Waterfront Park, Iroquois Park and Algonquin Park (although not in the best nabe). Louisville has a very extensive and well-planned park system, visit Metro Government's website and even pay a trip to Louisville to get a feel for yourself.

How is Louisville for 30's+ singles? Are there a lot of other singles who are enjoying their lives (as opposed to being chronically sad and desperate)?

I'm in my 20s, not 30s. However, having lived most of my life in Central Kentucky and attended college in Louisville, I can attest firsthand that the singles life stinks. People just like to commit more than average in this part of the country. So you're not really going to be escaping the "family-friendly, suburban" mindset here, unless you move to Highlands or Clifton, or even Crescent Hill or Old Louisville.

Any advice / opinions appreciated!!

Thanks!
Answers in bold above.

Personally, I didn't care for Louisville and couldn't leave fast enough. However, you may love it. Good luck!

Old 05-03-2011, 09:14 PM

43 posts, read 132,301 times
Thanks for the replies! I am planning a visit and will check out Highlands and other areas you both mentioned.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:36 AM

6,879 posts, read 14,712,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cicada View Post
Thanks for the replies! I am planning a visit and will check out Highlands and other areas you both mentioned.
Louisville is substantially more urban and artsy than Raleigh, although overall less educated. Still, I think the city has much more of an active hipster vibe. Also, being a slightly larger metro area, it may be a bit better for singles especially if you are the artsy type. Otherwise, expect the dating scene in most mid major cities to be similar. Outside the top 10 or 15 cities, you really do not have a plethora of dating options, but there is always someone That said, I concur with the opinions above. Whatever you do, get active in the community. Start by joining stuff online and meeting people online and branch out from there. Good luck!

Old 05-04-2011, 04:06 PM

Louisville is more urban and artsy, while less educated. All true.

Louisville is also ruder and snottier than Raleigh and most other cities I've been to. Also true. My business trip down to L'ville earlier this week just reaffirmed that for me.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 05-04-2011 at 04:44 PM..

Old 05-04-2011, 05:47 PM

1,197 posts, read 1,595,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Louisville is more urban and artsy, while less educated. All true.

Louisville is also ruder and snottier than Raleigh and most other cities I've been to. Also true. My business trip down to L'ville earlier this week just reaffirmed that for me.
you know, i was in phoenix/scottsdale last week and upon returning noticed this exact thing. I noticed the horrible customer service and a very negative vibe coming from a lot of people here. might be in part due to the recent weather we've been having (i know it depresses the crap out of me) in comparison to sunny beautiful arizona. kinda funny how a week in another environment opens your eyes to what you think is normal. Even scottsdale, notoriously called snottsdale, was full of cool friendly people compared to here. must be something in the water!

Old 05-04-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
you know, i was in phoenix/scottsdale last week and upon returning noticed this exact thing. I noticed the horrible customer service and a very negative vibe coming from a lot of people here. might be in part due to the recent weather we've been having (i know it depresses the crap out of me) in comparison to sunny beautiful arizona. kinda funny how a week in another environment opens your eyes to what you think is normal. Even scottsdale, notoriously called snottsdale, was full of cool friendly people compared to here. must be something in the water!
I'm not going to elaborate about Louisville because, well...you're welcome to search for some of my way-back posts from 2008 and 2009 about my experiences in Louisville. They weren't pretty and, honestly, I am surprised I didn't get banned from the forum (and I don't want to be banned which is a reason I'm not elaborating anymore). If you're a native of the city, I truly hope you wouldn't be offended, but nothing I've typed has been contrived.

I've never been to Arizona, but I've been to Balboa Island in Newport Beach, California. A supposedly "snobby" area that actually had a really enjoyable vibe, great customer service, happy-seeming locals (most of the license plates I saw were from California and with local car dealer tags, so that's how I figured) and some good food!

Old 05-04-2011, 06:40 PM

4,824 posts, read 13,315,665 times
I am sorry that Eclectic Ears had such a poor time in Louisville, but I am going to say that he/she is full of bunc... I am not native to Louisville, but I have never once had a rude experience in this community and I am in the public daily.

Example of how congenial people around here are is our use of phantom traffic lights. During heavy traffic periods, you'll see people treat intersections as four way stops or even a phantom light allowing others to enter traffic even though they don't have the right of way.

Another example: doors are opened, first in line graciously give their position to others, etc.

Louisvillians, and especially, Oldham Countians are true ladies and gentlemen. No, not everyone, but enough to make one believe we all gracious.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
I am sorry that Eclectic Ears had such a poor time in Louisville, but I am going to say that he/she is full of bunc... I am not native to Louisville, but I have never once had a rude experience in this community and I am in the public daily.

Example of how congenial people around here are is our use of phantom traffic lights. During heavy traffic periods, you'll see people treat intersections as four way stops or even a phantom light allowing others to enter traffic even though they don't have the right of way.

Another example: doors are opened, first in line graciously give their position to others, etc.

Louisvillians, and especially, Oldham Countians are true ladies and gentlemen. No, not everyone, but enough to make one believe we all gracious.
Well, you've read my stories on here before (and they are lengthy) and I'm not backing down from them. While I like and respect you (and probably would in person), let's just agree that our experiences have been extremely different.

And, seriously, nothing I've typed has been contrived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area