Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 10:12 PM

10 posts, read 17,197 times

Advertisements

What foods are specific to Louisville or Kentucky?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 11:38 PM

7 posts, read 21,067 times
Default Louisville Hot Brown

Louisville Hot Brown is legendary! (see wiki for hot brown)

~Will

Old 04-27-2011, 06:12 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,171,068 times
Seems breaded, deep fried fish are a local thing (with a side of hush puppies and cole slaw). There used to be three local chains that sold this: Kingfish, Cape Codder/Hungry Pelican, and Moby Dick. The local chain that sold this, but went national, was Long John Silvers, though they are supposedly closer to the UK 'fish and chips" vs the KY/Louisville style, which seems to have more of a breading.

They say "rolled" oysters (breaded and deep fried oysters) are local, but maybe they are really just an old 19th-century saloon or restaurant food that remained a popular speciality around here.

Benedictine sandwhich spread (sort of a cheese/cucumber/onion spread) is also local. Not sure what restaurant serves it, but it is a local recipe from local cooks and caterers. I know how to make it, as do most local home cooks.

Beer cheese is also somewhat local, though there are versions elsewhere in KY. This is another old saloon/tavern food.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:19 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,887,312 times
Ale 8-One, the (Winchester) Kentucky soft drink. The mint julep - found elsewhere, of course, but very particular to the Kentucky Derby. Benedictine cheese was the creation and namesake of Miss Jennie Benedict.

Lamb fries. 'Nough said.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:59 AM

48 posts, read 117,039 times
Is Burgoo big in Louisville? Also, what BBQ is good local? Mutton maybe?

Old 04-27-2011, 06:43 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,308,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonAndAmelia View Post
Is Burgoo big in Louisville? Also, what BBQ is good local? Mutton maybe?
NO, NONE, NO...

In my opinion, there is nothing in Louisville that can hold a candle to Owensboro/Henderson BBQ.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:34 PM

48 posts, read 117,039 times
I'm not from Owensboro, but I live there now. I personally haven't gotten the ability to really enjoy burgoo or mutton. I prefer good old pork ribs, and beef brisket. And, just can't get into burgoo. Or, as I like to call it, vegetable stew. Just trying to get a feel for what's good in Louisville.

Also, are there any good eats near broadway and preston?

Old 04-28-2011, 05:37 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,308,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonAndAmelia View Post
I'm not from Owensboro, but I live there now. I personally haven't gotten the ability to really enjoy burgoo or mutton. I prefer good old pork ribs, and beef brisket. And, just can't get into burgoo. Or, as I like to call it, vegetable stew. Just trying to get a feel for what's good in Louisville.

Also, are there any good eats near broadway and preston?
Burgoo is not vegetable stew. If you are buying burgoo that is, you are being cheated. Burgoo is a meat stew with a few vegetables. Last good burgoo (from a commercial store) was from Georges BBQ on E Fourth in Owensboro.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:44 AM

54 posts, read 135,341 times
Ale 8 One and a Pork chop sammich at the state fair!, dont get no better!

Old 05-01-2011, 05:58 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Oh, if you are in Louisville, get to the chow wagon while the Derby is going on. It's pricey but it is a lot of fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area