Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2011, 05:22 PM

4 posts, read 6,015 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I will be moving from Southern California to Louisville in July. We are moving there because I got my dream job in the city, but we are both worried about his ability to find work once we arrive. He is not a college graduate, and nearly all of his work experience is in retail or construction. I will make enough money that he doesn't have to find something amazing, but I don't make enough to support us both so we can't afford for him to be unemployed for more than a few months. The part of So Cal where we currently live has been murder on the job market the last few years so I'm hoping it will be better in Louisville, but I'm really terrified of going through another year where he only brings home $400 a month (he has only been able to find part-time work out here). Thoughts? Words of wisdom? Hope?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 06:00 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,309,023 times
Likely, he'll be able to find work with UPS as a package handler but even that isn't a certainty. He may be very hirable as a school bus driver (good job in JCPS). Some retail stores were beginning to hire again, not sure now due to the oil prices.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:46 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,909,230 times
this is the land of milk and honey compared to socal. i'm sure he'll do fine as long as he keeps his options open and hits the pavement hard.

the cost of living here is going to be quite a pleasant suprise to you both.
people from socal freak when they see what housing costs are here. i mean they freak in a good way, of course!
welcome and good luck.

Old 04-29-2011, 04:55 PM

Default Thanks!

Just wanted to say thank you both for responding, and yes, we are already freaking out in a good way about the housing costs. My bf is just worried because it took him a year (!?!?) just to find the part-time job he has now, but we are in a part of So Cal that has been even harder hit than the rest of the state so hopefully the process will be quicker in Louisville!

Old 04-29-2011, 08:51 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,798,538 times
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics as of the end of February 2011:

Orange County, California had an unemployment rate of 8.9%.

Jefferson County, Kentucky (known as Louisville) had an unemployment rate of 11.0%.

Neither rate is seasonally adjusted.

Personally, I'd live in Orange County any day over any place in Kentucky given my druthers, but that's just me. You're probably in L.A. County or the Inland Empire, if my guess is correct, where the UE rates are notably higher in most communities.

Louisville will bode well if you want a substantially cheaper cost of living, more greenery and a slower pace of life. But your boyfriend is statistically more likely to find a job in the OC. Plus, I believe California added 100,000 new jobs just during the month of March alone (although, if I had to guess, the majority of those jobs were actually in Northern California.)

Old 05-02-2011, 03:18 PM

Thanks for the info; yes, we are currently in the I.E. so, sadly, an 11% unemployment rate doesn't actually sound that bad. After getting your post, I looked up the more recent (March 2011) figures, and they said Louisville: 10.2% and I.E.: 13.7%. I think the Orange County figures might be low because it is a richer community - so it's not that there are so many jobs there, but that if people couldn't find jobs, then many would have had to move away anyway.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:55 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,798,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anywherebuthere78 View Post
Thanks for the info; yes, we are currently in the I.E. so, sadly, an 11% unemployment rate doesn't actually sound that bad. After getting your post, I looked up the more recent (March 2011) figures, and they said Louisville: 10.2% and I.E.: 13.7%. I think the Orange County figures might be low because it is a richer community - so it's not that there are so many jobs there, but that if people couldn't find jobs, then many would have had to move away anyway.
I see your point. And even the OC communities closest to the IE, i.e.: Yorba Linda, Santa Ana, Fullerton, Anaheim (and Anaheim Hills) can still be a long haul from the IE, made even longer with the 91's traffic. Although, Rancho Santa Margarita has a low unemployment rate, I believe, but it is a wealthy community.

Fayette and Woodford Counties in the Lexington metropolitan area and Calloway and Hopkins Counties in western Kentucky have even lower unemployment rates than Louisville. Naturally, though, the largest raw number of opportunities for jobs in the state will be in Jefferson County.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do! I'm actually wanting to move to California myself.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:14 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
I wish your boyfriend luck. It took me 8 months to find a permanent full-time job after moving here from DC/Northern VA (before you say what were you thinking, I absolutely HATED living there). Apply at UPS, Zappos.com, Kelly Services, or some of the warehouses in Sheperdsville. Don't be opposed to temp part-time work, that is how I got through winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
View detailed profiles of: