U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2011, 02:07 PM

3 posts, read 6,762 times

Advertisements

Once again, I find myself needing a new pain management doctor. I am moving from out of state, and my insurance only pays a certain amount after deductible.

When people call this office, they dont want cash. They only want insurance. WTF? since when is cash bad? Since when can you not go see a doctor and not have insurance and want to pay in bills? AND DONT get snotty with people on the phone.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 05:44 PM

797 posts, read 2,123,051 times
I'm not sure I understand your reasoning for not wanting to use insurance. Even if your insurance only pays a portion of the bill and you still have a deductable, why would you rather pay the full cash price of a visit?

'Cash only' is bad for a couple of reasons. First, there are people who sometimes decide after the fact that they either can't or don't want to pay their bill. By billing insurance, the doctor's office is guaranteed to at least get that portion of the payment before having to deal with trying to get people to pay the rest.

Another reason not using insurance is a problem, especially with pain clinics, is that far too many people have started going to multiple doctors trying to get more prescriptions for pain meds than they are allowed to have. By using insurance, those excessive visits can be tracked and limited. Clinics that bill insurance plans are also more easily tracked and less likely to be accused of being a 'pill mill', a clinic that sells prescriptions for pain meds for cash to people who don't really need them. This is a huge problem in Florida and some other regions across the country like SE Ohio. Most pharmacies won't even fill prescriptions for many pain meds that come out these regions unless the pharmacy is also in the area (ie pharmacies in Columbus, OH won't fill a script for oxycontin that came from a clinic in some towns only 1.5 hours away)

Whereabouts are you moving from?

Old 05-16-2011, 11:55 PM

3 posts, read 6,762 times
It isnt a matter of not wanting to use my insurance, it is a matter of I have a 1500.00 deductible. I told them this, but they have no interest. I have my reg doctor and pain mgmt doctor out here that WANTS to work with a doctor in KY to continue the treatment I am getting now that seems to be working.
I do know about the issues with multiple doctors and that is why I am looking before hand to find a reputable doctor who can continue on the same as what I am on.

I am moving from Nevada to Louisville. I have to come out here every 3 months(Nevada) to see my rheumotologist, so I will also be seeing the pain mgmt doctor here every three months as well. Make any more sense? I was just pissed after the phone call with this pain mgmt group.

The ideal case would be finding a General Practitioner/Internist who is willing to work with my pain mgmt doctor here. I would come out here every 90-100 days to see all my reg doctors here. In the meantime, a local doctor would be able to prescribe and regulate the medication I am on when I am in KY.

Make more sense?

Old 05-22-2011, 07:52 AM

797 posts, read 2,123,051 times
Wow, that's some crappy insurance. An office visit to a pain management doctor has to cost more than $1500 before your insurance will pay anything on it? Or is this a yearly running total that you have to pay, and then your insurance kicks in? Or is it just because your insurance doesn't want to pay for something out of state?

Sounds like maybe you had a bad experience with the attitude of somebody at this particular pain office. Maybe you could just try another place? And if they still want to run your insurance but aren't rude about it, why not just do it? I mean even if your insurance pays $0, it's financially no difference to you than if you pay 'cash' and the doctors office will be happy about it. Is there some other reason why you think having your insurance billed is going to be a problem or major inconvenience for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area