U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2011, 04:16 AM

2 posts, read 2,863 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I have been reading several of these posts already, looked through ads on craigslist, but still need some tailored insight from the experts. I am a single 27/F moving to FT Knox in two months and need to find an apartment (or at minimum a narrowed area) for where to live before I get there. I know that the commute will be rough, but I have decided that I will sacrifice the drive if it means having a social life when I am not at work. I am from NY and a city girl, so I need the city life (even at the smallest dose). I have never been to Louisville so I really have no idea what to expect, but I am very excited for the move and new experience!

What I am looking for

-Walkable access to restautant, pub, coffee shop...somewhere I can wake up and get a coffee or stop out at night for a beer (from what it sounds like, the three areas I have been told about are Old Louisville, highlands, and 4th street)
-A pet friendly neighborhood for me and my VERY spoiled dog
-An area that I feel comfortable running/jogging in without the fear of getting mugged

***As close as I can get to FT Knox while still having the above three criteria. I really would love to minimize the commute as much as possible

I guess I am looking for specifics even down to apartment complex and/or streets. This research is all very hard to do online but I have no choice!

I don't need a ton of space, and I am evening searching for roommates if I find the right area and person.

Thanks for your time reading this! And if there is anything else I can tell you to help you help me, let me know!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 09:16 AM

1,197 posts, read 1,601,011 times
4th st is really not a great area to have a dog. i would stick to the highlands or clifton/crescent hill. there is a dog park at baxter at morton ave. and that hood is pretty happening. coffee, beer, food. nothing in this town will compare to nyc, but i think you might enjoy it. deer park and cherokee triangle are also great areas within the highlands.
not really a lot of apartment complexes in the highlands, more old victorian era houses turned into apts. craigslist is your best bet.

the commute is going to be a bit of a beast, but with your situation i think you're wise to live in lou. moving from ny to fort knox could be quite a shock.

Old 05-15-2011, 02:24 PM

25,239 posts, read 36,257,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvesundays View Post
Hello everyone. I have been reading several of these posts already, looked through ads on craigslist, but still need some tailored insight from the experts. I am a single 27/F moving to FT Knox in two months and need to find an apartment (or at minimum a narrowed area) for where to live before I get there. I know that the commute will be rough, but I have decided that I will sacrifice the drive if it means having a social life when I am not at work. I am from NY and a city girl, so I need the city life (even at the smallest dose). I have never been to Louisville so I really have no idea what to expect, but I am very excited for the move and new experience!

What I am looking for

-Walkable access to restautant, pub, coffee shop...somewhere I can wake up and get a coffee or stop out at night for a beer (from what it sounds like, the three areas I have been told about are Old Louisville, highlands, and 4th street)
-A pet friendly neighborhood for me and my VERY spoiled dog
-An area that I feel comfortable running/jogging in without the fear of getting mugged

***As close as I can get to FT Knox while still having the above three criteria. I really would love to minimize the commute as much as possible

I guess I am looking for specifics even down to apartment complex and/or streets. This research is all very hard to do online but I have no choice!

I don't need a ton of space, and I am evening searching for roommates if I find the right area and person.

Thanks for your time reading this! And if there is anything else I can tell you to help you help me, let me know!
I currently commute from the Ft. Knox area (Vine Grove) to Louisville (Preston @ I-264) and it takes me 45 minutes door to door. It gets on your nerves after awhile and it will be expensive (pay $60 every week for gas for a car that gets 26mpg) but if you are single, not a solider, don't have something keeping you busy (I'm a FT student with no time for a social life) and in your 20s you will be bored to death in Hardin or Meade County (counties of Ft. Knox).

I'm looking to lease an apt in Louisville during the summer and am currently considering Old Louisville among places that will be a short commute to my work. Old Louisville has great Victorian housing stock and realtively inexpensive which I like. It may not work for you due to its limited amount of resturants and etc. The Highlands along Bardstown Rd would be a great choice for a city life along with dog friendliness.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:12 AM

2 posts, read 2,863 times
Thank you for the information! Someone told me to look int Hurstbourne and the apartments there. Any thoughts on that?

Old 05-16-2011, 08:45 AM

25,239 posts, read 36,257,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvesundays View Post
Thank you for the information! Someone told me to look int Hurstbourne and the apartments there. Any thoughts on that?
I've heard mostly good about Hurstbourne. However, it doesn't get mentioned as one of the urban hip areas and I suspect it is for a reason. Also, since you are commuting to Ft. Knox, I'd really stay inside of I-264 that far east in Louisville and try to stay closer to I-65 since one way or another you will be using 65 to get to Ft. Knox.

One of these is what I'd recommend:

In the Highlands
Bronner Realty Company - 2023 Grasmere - 4-Plex
Our Communities 2109 Edgeland Avenue (http://www.lafayette-enterprise.com/2109%20Edgeland.htm - broken link)

If you want a better (relatively) commute to Knox, I'd go back to Old Louisville since it is closer to I-65.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:33 PM

1,197 posts, read 1,601,011 times
I don't think hurstborne fits your needs. while there are lots of dining/shopping options, it is a non-walkable area and would add much time to your commute being on the east side. it also is one of the more heavily congested areas traffic wise. I agree that you should stay closer to the I-65 corridor. old lou. is a decent option, but has some questionable areas.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:42 PM

1,448 posts, read 4,476,655 times
I work in the Hurstbourne area and it is a very nice section of a nice part of town. But I agree with kytoaz that it's not as walkable as the Highlands. Plus that's a heck of a ride from Hurstbourne to Ft. Knox. And I also agree you really have to be careful in Old Louisville.

Anyway, another vote for the Highlands.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:50 PM

22 posts, read 71,632 times
Hi and welcome to the area. I just moved from outside of NYC a few months ago. Feel free to shoot me an email on the site with any specific questions. I have friends in apts. in an area called St Matthews. They are pet friendly with parks and neighborhoods close by for walking.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:37 AM

4 posts, read 5,757 times
Default other suggestions

I would also suggest Germantown. parts of it are 1 mile or so from bardstown, there are good pubs, and some coffee shops. barrett ave has some good shops also. Also, schnitzelburg isnt bad either. Cute neighborhood, some up and coming neighborhood bars, cheap rent, and really close to I65. Plus the coffee is good with Sunergos and the new Heine Brothers. Young people and families. It isn't far from Old Louisville or Highlands either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area