Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 07:52 PM

7 posts, read 21,489 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

In July, I will be moving to Kentucky after finishing up my MBA degree and will be working in banking in Elizabethtown. From what I have heard from others, many commute down to Elizabethtown from Louisville, which is what I plan on doing since I want to live in a larger city.

I was hoping for any advice on where to live that would be beneficial commute wise and also what some nice areas would be as well. My budget will be around $1000 per month for housing, but would prefer to spend less. Since I do not have the savings for a down payment on a house yet, I will be renting. I would be looking for a one bedroom, and maybe even a loft if the commute was not bad.

Also, what kind of activities do young professionals have to do in the city?

I was also hoping to find out about the culture of the city as well, i.e. liberal or artsy.

Any other help or advice would also be very helpful! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 07:21 PM

26,691 posts, read 41,629,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dday2004 View Post
Hello all,

In July, I will be moving to Kentucky after finishing up my MBA degree and will be working in banking in Elizabethtown. From what I have heard from others, many commute down to Elizabethtown from Louisville, which is what I plan on doing since I want to live in a larger city.

I was hoping for any advice on where to live that would be beneficial commute wise and also what some nice areas would be as well. My budget will be around $1000 per month for housing, but would prefer to spend less. Since I do not have the savings for a down payment on a house yet, I will be renting. I would be looking for a one bedroom, and maybe even a loft if the commute was not bad.

Also, what kind of activities do young professionals have to do in the city?

I was also hoping to find out about the culture of the city as well, i.e. liberal or artsy.

Any other help or advice would also be very helpful! Thanks!
Since you have a pretty nice budget, you'll have a nice selection. I live in Hardin County (which includes Elizabethtown) and commute to Louisville for work (until I can get a place up there.) For your commute I'd recommend living close to I-65 to make a long commute easier. If an extra 5-10 min on your commute doesn't matter I'd go for the raved about Highlands.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:45 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,903,420 times
highlands, crecent hill/clifton. for that money there are some nice lofts downtown as well.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:35 PM

830 posts, read 1,662,731 times
I agree with everyone else. Everyone else is going to tell you to go to the Highlands, and for your budget you won't have a problem affording and fitting in. You won't have to settle for SoBro/Old Louisville like I was doing last year. The Highlands is probably what you expect for the "culture" of the city, words like "liberal" and "artsy" and etc. Another popular suggestion for people like you is St. Matthews, downtown, and Crecent Hill/Clifton. Very good, but remember these are all on the side farther away from E-town. Louisville traffic is not bad and like Alanboy hinted at, it'll just be another 10 minutes to get from one side to another once you're in the city. Even rush hour traffic isn't that bad. Transportation is good, as long as you have a car! The parts closer to E-town, like Fairdale and Okolona are, to me, what people expect stereotypically of Louisville--they seem more "Kentucky" to me, for lack of a better term. I'm not saying that's bad, but they're different from the previous areas mentioned. And the West End (I mention this because it's closer to Hardin Co.)...I know a few blocks, a few neighborhoods are trying to improve to their former glories, but I am going to say in general stay away.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:19 AM

797 posts, read 2,332,847 times
From what it sounds like you are looking for, I would recommend either Old Louisville or the Highlands near I-264. These will be the two more 'urban' feeling neighborhoods with young professionals and liberal types nearby that would be an 'easy' commute from Louisville. In Old Louisville I would recommend looking at Central Park Lofts. It's a 1960's data processing center that has been transformed into condos/apartments and is a very modern place in a neighborhood full of beautiful old Victorian mansions. It also has underground parking included in the rent and our only utility bill (electric) has only been around $30-40/month. There are also two separate common areas with flat screen tv's, bathrooms, tables, couches, and a pool table or air hockey that can be used for gathering with friends if you want. It's about a 45 minute drive to E-town from here and it's basically all interstate travel without any of the bad traffic since you are headed out of town.

As for activities in the city, there was a reggae festival at the Water Tower art museum this weekend as well as a Beatles event going on (Abbey Road on the River - Celebrating 10 Fab Years!). The Beatles thing was nice because you can hear the music over a mile away. I sat on the IN side and enjoyed an ice cream cone while listening to the music and taking in the view of the skyline over the river. The do Shakespeare in Central Park during the summer which is a two minute walk from the apartments I mentioned earlier. There are ghost tours and architecture tours if you are interested in those things and plenty of bars/restaurants in this town (bars are still open until 4am I think). There are groups for young professionals you can join as well that have various activities/meetups. I'm sure someone here will fill you in on those.

Good luck on your move and everything!

Old 05-30-2011, 05:15 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,775,354 times
Coming from South Dakota, you'll probably come to realize the following upon settling in Louisville:

Pros:
More multicultural than, say, Sioux Falls
More "character" in the land with hills, a wide river, nearby forests, etc.
Great proximity to other large regional cities such as Cincinnati, Lexington and Nashville, among others
SDF Airport is a relatively low-cost alternative to other regional airports such as Cincinnati and Lexington

Cons:
College-sports centric to the point of wanting to pull your hair out
The city practically shuts down for Oaks and Derby
Rude, snotty citizenry (I don't know how they compare to S.D., though)
Winters aren't as bitterly cold as in South Dakota but probably more depressing, believe it or not

I interviewed for but unfortunately did not get a job in Sioux Falls about two years ago. I think I might actually have liked it there.

Move to Louisville and I hope you enjoy it. If you like it, settle and grow your career there. If not, then move on to another pasture.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:40 PM

163 posts, read 427,584 times
I agree with everything everyone else said.

Just wanted to say welcome and hope you like Kentucky! I lived in SoDak for 5 years- Rapid City. Where are you coming from?

Old 06-02-2011, 07:20 PM

171 posts, read 376,942 times
Good advice above. I'd just like to chime in. Downtown has two advantages and one big disadvantage. It has good access to I-65 which gives you a straight shot to E-town and you will mostly be going against the normal flow of traffic as most people are heading into the city when you will be leaving & vice versa. Second, downtown has really cool lofts and many of them are less than $1,000/mo. which means you can live in style AND save for a down payment. The big disadvantage to downtown is that people don't walk it and hang out so much... it's developing just not there yet so you will feel a little isolated until you make friends.

In contrast, if you live in the Highlands you probably won't find a loft but you can find a neat old flat with 9 or 10 ft. ceilings, hardwood floors, and great charm. It's a walkable area with a much more friendly feel with plenty to do without having to drive somewhere.

The parts along I-65 south that are south of the Watterson Expressway (I-264) are indeed more stereo typically Kentucky... lots of cigarette smoking, pickups, incoherent utterances with distinctly southern intonations, big hair, etc.

St. Matthews is a terrific area too and definitely in your budget but it will ad some time to your commute. Two big malls, two big health clubs, several large apartment communities full of every age and very sociable, and more.

Welcome to Louisville.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:35 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,837,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkennedy View Post
The parts along I-65 south that are south of the Watterson Expressway (I-264) are indeed more stereo typically Kentucky... lots of cigarette smoking, pickups, incoherent utterances with distinctly southern intonations, big hair, etc.
Welcome to Louisville.
You left out chewing gum and using words like swell and gee whiz

Old 06-08-2011, 09:39 AM

7 posts, read 21,489 times
Default Thanks

Thanks for all of the information thus far, it is greatly appreciated. I will be moving from the Sioux Falls area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area