Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2011, 04:41 PM

4 posts, read 7,678 times

Advertisements

I will be moving from FL to Louisville in a couple of months and need help finding a good area to move to. My husband will be working right over the bridge in Jeffersonville, IN. 30-40 minute commute is fine. My main concern is finding my kids a good school to go to. Some people have told me to live in Oldman County??? I don't want to live in the middle of the city. I would like a really nice area right outside the city. I would even consider living in Southern Indiana if that's better.

Also if anyone knows of any good dance studios or gymnastics schools that would be great. My girls love the ones they are in now so I am hoping to find a good one in Kentucky.

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 07:19 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,309,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabethcfl View Post
I will be moving from FL to Louisville in a couple of months and need help finding a good area to move to. My husband will be working right over the bridge in Jeffersonville, IN. 30-40 minute commute is fine. My main concern is finding my kids a good school to go to. Some people have told me to live in Oldman County??? I don't want to live in the middle of the city. I would like a really nice area right outside the city. I would even consider living in Southern Indiana if that's better.

Also if anyone knows of any good dance studios or gymnastics schools that would be great. My girls love the ones they are in now so I am hoping to find a good one in Kentucky.

Thanks for the help!
I am the "Super-Cheer Leader" for Oldham County, but I also recommend more based on need than simply a blind loyalty to OC. You'll find OC to be the place to live if you like a quiet suburbia, great public schools, historic legacy, excellent healthcare, and youth activities. It is simply a great place to raise a kid.

Yes, OC has its not so goods, but they just add character.

My wife and I live on 1 acre, in a 1970-80's subdivision that is 15-18 minutes to the Kennedy Bridge.

There is a dance studio within 1/2 mile of us that packs the kids in.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:19 PM

4 posts, read 7,678 times
Thanks for the information. What area in Oldman County should I look into. I think Crestwood and Prospect are in that county. Are they nice areas to live? I will be checking out some areas in the next month so I'm trying to get an idea of where to look.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:06 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,309,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabethcfl View Post
Thanks for the information. What area in Oldman County should I look into. I think Crestwood and Prospect are in that county. Are they nice areas to live? I will be checking out some areas in the next month so I'm trying to get an idea of where to look.
Both are ideal living areas. Prospect is a bit more urbanized and has a few more issues with traffic, but people who live there almost without exception find Prospect/Goshen as idealic. As a note, Prospect is actually in Jefferson County, but many Oldham County homes still have a Prospect address. Just be certain to check each property specifically. It's a very important check point.

Crestwood on the other hand is generally a bit more convenient, has a wider choice of home styles, values, and acreages.

The quality of schools is almost equal, especially at the elementary level.

As I reported earlier, my wife and I enjoy living in one of the older sections of Briar Hill and I just helped a young couple find a beautiful home in Darby Point near I-71 exit 17. One of their criteria was an under 30 minute drive time from the University of Louisville Belknap campus. In tests, they found 20 to 25 minutes at various times of the day.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:52 AM

17 posts, read 59,179 times
Don't know if you've already found a place to live, but I live in Crestwood (barely outside of L-ville's city limits) and we love it for the neighborhoods & schools. It's a great place to live with kids!

I also lead a moms' group at church in Louisville if you want to find other moms to connect with. Our website is wrcc.org/moms .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area