U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 11:40 PM

29 posts, read 49,230 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I just graduated college and will be working at Humana in downtown in a couple of weeks. I have some questions about where to live and general vibe of Louisville~

I guess the Highland area is the most popular, and then, downtown and old louisville. But from looking at some pictures and googlemaps, the highland area doesn't seem all that urban. I guess it's popular, only b/c it has a lot of restaurants and bars on bardstown rd?

I am looking for a studio or one bedroom apt for around 500, or 600 if it includes utilities and parking. Will I be able to find it in the highland area?? if so, which neighborhoods would they be?

I am also interested in downtown as well. I am looking at Barrington, Weissinger-Gaulbert, and St. Francis. Do you have any experience with any of them? It's pretty damn hard to find pics or reviews on Weissinger-Gaulbert and St. Francis. How's living in downtown in general compared to the highland or old louisville?

Do you recommend any other area other than the three above?? I am looking for a neighborhood where population is pretty dense ( don't wanna be lonely, cuz I donno anyone there ), diverse ( don't wanna be the only asian guy ) and with public transportation to downtown ( don't wanna drive to work everyday). What are your opinions on butchertown, irish hill, clifton, and germantown?

Thank you so much for your help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 08:38 AM

11,093 posts, read 22,972,701 times
Not sure what photos you've seen but having lived in the Highlands I can tell you it has a very urban feel. (Maybe you where looking at further out parts of Bardstown Rd? It extends out to the Bullitt Co line).

You shouldn't have a problem finding a studio or one bedroom for $500. In 2004 I rented a low end studio for $350 in Original Highlands. 500/600 should still get you a really nice apartment.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:42 AM

6,973 posts, read 15,096,612 times
You are on the right track. The highlands is much more urban than anything in austin. Austin is a bit larger and more vibrant with a higher educated asian population bc ut is larger than ul. That said louisville is more accesible and reminds me of austin circa 1990 when imo it was more of a hip place.

You know the neighborhoods....a weekend visit would do wonders in helping you decide. In your rent price range the rentals wont be as nice and ull be excluded from some very nice rentals. That said in your price range id throw ky towers in the mix and would lean more towards there or bartington bc theyre more walkable. But as far as 24/7 vitality the highlands cannot be beat.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:58 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,530,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
....a weekend visit would do wonders in helping you decide...But as far as 24/7 vitality the highlands cannot be beat.
Agree and agree.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
Agree and agree.
Haha yea I agree, too. But, I live 1000 miles away and am not sure about spending all that much money to travel there for a weekend when I'm just a broke college grad, haha.

So, the highland area is more urban than the downtown? Is it also more dense in terms of population (walkable), too?

I think I read that Crescent Hill and the original highland neighborhood are the best in that area. But, bardstown road stretches pretty long. Area there any other pretty good sub-area that fit my budget (I would love it, if cheaper than $500)?

Also, any suggestion of apartments or condos??

thank you~~!

Old 06-08-2011, 01:36 PM

6,973 posts, read 15,096,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daum View Post
Haha yea I agree, too. But, I live 1000 miles away and am not sure about spending all that much money to travel there for a weekend when I'm just a broke college grad, haha.

So, the highland area is more urban than the downtown? Is it also more dense in terms of population (walkable), too?

I think I read that Crescent Hill and the original highland neighborhood are the best in that area. But, bardstown road stretches pretty long. Area there any other pretty good sub-area that fit my budget (I would love it, if cheaper than $500)?

Also, any suggestion of apartments or condos??

thank you~~!

Yes,i see you in cherokee triangle or bonnycastle. The two intersections to live close to are bardstown and highland ave and bardstown and bonnycastle. In general the neughborhoods closest to cherokee park are most prestigious. Look on craigslist. In that area in your price range expect to find an older one bedroom flat in 3 or 4 plex old bld on craigslist.for that price you get street parking and usually older appliances without a dishwasher or laundry on site (plenty of laundrymats in the area). As downtown matures you may find yourself down there but btown road is more of the "6th st" of lville to compare to austin. That said i think louisville has more unique artistic hipster hoods but lacks as many educated yuppie types (austin grew 37% last census compared to 10% lville)

Old 06-08-2011, 06:44 PM

55 posts, read 146,317 times
Congrats on your new job at Humana! When I worked there, they took busfare out of your paycheck-- pretax. So, I think you are on the right track, by thinking The Highlands or Crescent Hill. Traffic in Louisville is really bad for such a small city.
However, I'm not sure about prices, as I left Louisville 2.5 years ago for Texas. One thing I made sure to do was ask about getting a Humana discount for an apartment. Almost every prospective landlord I spoke to offered me a better rate as a Humana employee.
Best of luck to you!

Old 06-08-2011, 07:35 PM

Cool thank you very much for your replies! I will definitely put the Highland at the top of the list and search around cherokee triangle or bonnycastle. Hopefully, Louisville is a little less hippie-ish than Austin. I don't really like the whole pretentious atmosphere, either. But, the whole hippie culture in Austin is a little too much, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdee View Post
Congrats on your new job at Humana! When I worked there, they took busfare out of your paycheck-- pretax. So, I think you are on the right track, by thinking The Highlands or Crescent Hill. Traffic in Louisville is really bad for such a small city.
However, I'm not sure about prices, as I left Louisville 2.5 years ago for Texas. One thing I made sure to do was ask about getting a Humana discount for an apartment. Almost every prospective landlord I spoke to offered me a better rate as a Humana employee.
Best of luck to you!
Cool. Looks like you moved to Dallas. Thank you for the heads up about the Humana discount! I noticed that St. Francis apartments give discounts to Humana employees, but, I didn't know other apartments do that, too. Is it about like $50?

Old 06-08-2011, 07:36 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,661,890 times
highlands is a great area and you could find something nice, but in your price range maybe butchertown/nulu?
very close to downtown and more up and coming=more bang for your buck.

I agree downtown isn't as walkable as it might seem, but it's slowly improving in that regard.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:40 PM

25,583 posts, read 37,304,757 times
One thing, I know Texas is famous for sprawl. Louisville is one of the LEAST sprawled cities I've ever encountered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area